mrcleanr6

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:54 pm

hi mr engman. want to thank you a bunch for your reply. i posted this same question over on the retropie forum and someone replied with something that worked so i didnt even get a chance to try your recommendation. for anyone else that runs into this in the future, this is what worked for me. of course i had to be hooked up to a wired connection first.

sudo apt-get install wicd-curses

to run it enter:
sudo wicd-curses

epicTCK

Sun May 03, 2015 3:49 pm

what exactly should be in /etc/network/interfaces ?
I ran

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
a while back to set my static ip, and I may have messed some things up. However, my wifi has worked since then.
A little more detail: my wifi hasn't been working that well for a while, just slow, and when I try to navigate to a page on my raspberry pi it just says "hostname not recognized" or something like that.

mrcleanr6

Tue May 05, 2015 3:51 am

dont worry about the interfaces file. just install and use wicd-curses posted above. its a wifi config tool and will take care of the whole thing

MrEngman

Tue May 05, 2015 9:52 am

epicTCK wrote:what exactly should be in /etc/network/interfaces ?
I ran

a while back to set my static ip, and I may have messed some things up. However, my wifi has worked since then.
A little more detail: my wifi hasn't been working that well for a while, just slow, and when I try to navigate to a page on my raspberry pi it just says "hostname not recognized" or something like that.
Try this

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "network-name"
wpa-psk "network-password"
Just replace network-name and network-password with the name and password you use for your network.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

nachofly

Thu May 07, 2015 4:39 pm

MrEngman wrote:
I ran

Try this

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "network-name"
Just replace network-name and network-password with the name and password you use for your network.

MrEngman

sooooo if my network name is "modem router" should i type it like "modem_router" or "modem router", and if i have a non protected wifi, should i leave it like this this? "" or type none or just plain nothing?

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "network-modem router"
wpa-psk "password-"
and also i try to follow this step
4b) How do I configure the WiFi Settings
By default, Raspbian has in /etc/network/interfaces this line -
CODE: SELECT ALL
wpa-roam /etc/wpa-supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

The contents of the file should look something like this
CODE: SELECT ALL
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
ssid="network-name"
psk="network password"
}

If it doesn't, or if it has the wrong details, updating the details here will let the WiFi Adapter connect

so i did it and i got this error writing the file

MrEngman

Thu May 07, 2015 5:04 pm

nachofly wrote:
MrEngman wrote:
I ran

Try this

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "network-name"

MrEngman

sooooo if my network name is "modem router" should i type it like "modem_router" or "modem router", and if i have a non protected wifi, should i leave it like this this? "" or type none or just plain nothing?

auto lo[code]
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "network-modem router"
wpa-psk "password-"[/code]
For WPA/WPA2 you can use

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "modem router"
wpa-psk "password"
and set password to what your network requires. For WEP use

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid modem router
wireless-key Your-Network-Password
and for a network with no security use

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid modem router
And if you want a static address change dhcp to static and add the lines address, netmask and gateway, so for eth0

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.xx.yy
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.xx.yy
and for wlan0

iface wlan0 inet static
address 192.168.xx.yy
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.xx.yy
setting the address, netmask and gateway to suit your own network.

EDIT: to edit wpa_supplicant.conf set the right directory name

sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
                  ^

MrEngman

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

steffo

Sat May 09, 2015 6:00 am

Hello,
My D-link dongle stopped work after a reboot and now it will not come alive.
For some reason the system disconnects the device:

dmesg 
[  259.034199] usb 1-1.5.2: new high-speed USB device number 111 using dwc_otg
[  259.135676] usb 1-1.5.2: New USB device found, idVendor=2001, idProduct=3308
[  259.135700] usb 1-1.5.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[  259.135718] usb 1-1.5.2: Product: 802.11n WLAN Adapter
[  259.135735] usb 1-1.5.2: Manufacturer: Realtek
[  259.135751] usb 1-1.5.2: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001
[  259.964732] rtw_cmd_thread: DriverStopped(0) SurpriseRemoved(1) break at line 482
[  259.977545] usb 1-1.5.2: USB disconnect, device number 111

Any ideas?
The dongle works fine in my laptop..

bluewasabi

Sun May 10, 2015 11:30 am

I am trying to install two wifi dongles (0101:0007 Realtek and 148f:7601 Ralink connected through 1a40:0201 Terminus powered USB hub) on Raspberry Pi 2 (running 3.18.7 v7+ #755 Raspbian). Both dongles detected by lsusb, but I seem to not have the suitable drivers.

Will appreciate if anyone could help with suitable drivers and an idiot-proof ;-) step by step installation procedure.

Thanks in advance!

MrEngman

Sun May 10, 2015 4:30 pm

steffo wrote:Hello,
My D-link dongle stopped work after a reboot and now it will not come alive.
For some reason the system disconnects the device:

dmesg 
[  259.034199] usb 1-1.5.2: new high-speed USB device number 111 using dwc_otg
[  259.135676] usb 1-1.5.2: New USB device found, idVendor=2001, idProduct=3308
[  259.135700] usb 1-1.5.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[  259.135718] usb 1-1.5.2: Product: 802.11n WLAN Adapter
[  259.135735] usb 1-1.5.2: Manufacturer: Realtek
[  259.135751] usb 1-1.5.2: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001
[  259.964732] rtw_cmd_thread: DriverStopped(0) SurpriseRemoved(1) break at line 482
[  259.977545] usb 1-1.5.2: USB disconnect, device number 111

Any ideas?
The dongle works fine in my laptop..
Can you post the output of commands

uname -a
lsmod
cat /etc/network/interfaces
sudo cat /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Then we may get a clue as to why you have a problem.

Actually I suppose it could be a power management problem, but I'm not certain. You could generate the file /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf using command

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf
and add the line

options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0
Save the file and close the editor with keys cntl-x, y, enter. You will need to reboot to make the file active.

MrEngman

MrEngman

Sun May 10, 2015 4:47 pm

bluewasabi wrote:I am trying to install two wifi dongles (0101:0007 Realtek and 148f:7601 Ralink connected through 1a40:0201 Terminus powered USB hub) on Raspberry Pi 2 (running 3.18.7 v7+ #755 Raspbian). Both dongles detected by lsusb, but I seem to not have the suitable drivers.

Will appreciate if anyone could help with suitable drivers and an idiot-proof ;-) step by step installation procedure.

Thanks in advance!
To install a driver for the Ralink device use the commands

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/mt7601-3.18.7-v7-755.tar.gz
tar xzf mt7601-3.18.7-v7-755.tar.gz
./install.sh
This will install the 148f:7601 driver and other necessary files needed by the driver. It will also load a file to rename it from ra0 to wlan0. If you prefer it to keep the name ra0 then delete the file /etc/udev/rules.d/95-ralink.rules. After installing the driver you will need to configure it to connect to your network if you have not done that already.

From the info I've found on the internet the other device, 0101:0007, appears to be an optical mouse so can't help there. Will have to leave that to someone else.

MrEngman

bluewasabi

Sun May 10, 2015 8:50 pm

Thanks MrEngman!

Sorry for the misleading data :oops: ; you are correct - the 0101:0007 device is a USB Optical Mouse. Checking the dmesg output, I found that the Realtek 802.11n NIC device code is actually 0bda:0179 and that it got disconnected in the boot process because the driver/firmware file was missing (error messages: (a) "direct firmware load for rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin failed with error -2", and (b) "firmware rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin not available"). Could you help me with getting and installing the correct driver?

PS
Sorry for the trivial question, but where would be the location of the downloaded driver? I am planning to download the Ralink driver (mt7601-3.18.7-v7-755.tar.gz) on USB drive how this would change the script?

MrEngman

Sun May 10, 2015 9:16 pm

bluewasabi wrote:Thanks MrEngman!

Sorry for the misleading data :oops: ; you are correct - the 0101:0007 device is a USB Optical Mouse. Checking the dmesg output, I found that the Realtek 802.11n NIC device code is actually 0bda:0179 and that it got disconnected in the boot process because the driver/firmware file was missing (error messages: (a) "direct firmware load for rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin failed with error -2", and (b) "firmware rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin not available"). Could you help me with getting and installing the correct driver?

PS
Sorry for the trivial question, but where would be the location of the downloaded driver? I am planning to download the Ralink driver (mt7601-3.18.7-v7-755.tar.gz) on USB drive how this would change the script?
You can download the 8188eu firmware using command

sudo wget https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu/raw/master/rtl8188eufw.bin -O /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin
This will also install it in the correct directory.

I also compile a version of that driver which does not need a separate firmware file. You can download and install it using commands

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz
tar xzf 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz
./install.sh
Take a look here viewtopic.php?f=28&t=62371

About downloading the mt7601 driver I'm not sure about your question about downloading to a USB drive. You can download the driver and install from any directory. No changes needed. The necessary files will be installed on to your SD card when you run the script as with all other drivers.

MrEngman

bluewasabi

Sun May 10, 2015 11:56 pm

Thanks MrEngman and sorry [again :roll: ] for the lack of clarity. Just to be sure, you say that I could download the driver and run the script from any directory, including the USB drive; am I correct?

I was asking because I assumed that when you run the script "sudo wget {file url} -O {file directory}/{file name}" the downloaded file is stored somewhere on the mSD card where the script lines "tar xzf {file name}" and "./install.sh" can find it.

I am planning to download the Ralink driver (mt7601-3.18.7-v7-755.tar.gz) from another computer on USB drive and would like to manually copy it to the right location on the mSD card.

could you clarify that for me?

Thanks!

MrEngman

Mon May 11, 2015 2:21 am

bluewasabi wrote:Thanks MrEngman and sorry [again :roll: ] for the lack of clarity. Just to be sure, you say that I could download the driver and run the script from any directory, including the USB drive; am I correct?
You have two options. You can download and install my 8188eu driver, or download and install the firmware for the built in driver, not both.

OPTION 1. You can download my 8188eu driver using the command

or download it on a Windows/MAC system, and then copy the file to your USB drive, then connect your USB drive to the Pi. Then either go to the directory on the USB driver, or copy the file from the USB drive to the mSD card, then untar the file and install the driver using commands

./install.sh
The ./install.sh command can be run from any directory, including your USB drive.
I was asking because I assumed that when you run the script "sudo wget {file url} -O {file directory}/{file name}" the downloaded file is stored somewhere on the mSD card where the script lines "tar xzf {file name}" and "./install.sh" can find it.

OPTION 2. You can download the firmware for the built in driver using the command

sudo wget https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu/raw/master/rtl8188eufw.bin
Do not use the wget -O option if you are not downloading the file directly to the Pi. Then copy the file to the USB drive and connect the USB drive to the Pi. Go to the directory where the file is saved and copy the firmware file to the correct directory with the command

sudo cp rtl8188eufw.bin /lib/firmware/rtlwifi
or use a command, with sudo, that copies the file from the directory on the USB drive to the /lib/firmware/rtlwifi directory on the SD card. Only use the wget -O option if you download the file directly to the Pi as the -O option will copy the file to the location defined by the -O option.
I am planning to download the Ralink driver (mt7601-3.18.7-v7-755.tar.gz) from another computer on USB drive and would like to manually copy it to the right location on the mSD card.

Thanks!
I hope that satisfies you.

Why download the mt7601 driver? The wifi module with ID 0bda:0179 uses the 8188eu driver, not the mt7601 driver.

MrEngman

justplainstupid

Tue May 12, 2015 1:37 pm

It all went well until step 4. I entered "etc/network/interfaces/" and it just said "no such file or directory".

Any suggestions?

MrEngman

Tue May 12, 2015 2:49 pm

justplainstupid wrote:It all went well until step 4. I entered "etc/network/interfaces/" and it just said "no such file or directory".

Any suggestions?
Try

cat /etc/network/interfaces

MrEngman

justplainstupid

Tue May 12, 2015 2:57 pm

Even with "cat " in front it still comes back with "no such file or directory"

MrEngman

Tue May 12, 2015 3:17 pm

justplainstupid wrote:Even with "cat " in front it still comes back with "no such file or directory"
You previously said you typed etc/network/interfaces/ which is wrong

Did you type exactly what I said to type? Almost certainly not.

Type cat /etc/network/interfaces

Unless you've completely broken your image on the SD card and the file really does not exist and so you need to start all over again installing a new image on your SD card.

MrEngman

justplainstupid

Tue May 12, 2015 3:45 pm

I got this! What next?

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

auto wlan1
allow-hotplug wlan1
iface wlan1 inet manual

MrEngman

Tue May 12, 2015 4:08 pm

justplainstupid wrote:I got this! What next?

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual

auto wlan1
allow-hotplug wlan1
iface wlan1 inet manual
I have already posted about that here viewtopic.php?p=757117#p757117

Please stop duplicating posts

MrEngman

justplainstupid

Tue May 12, 2015 4:52 pm

And I explained on that the thread that that link goes to that I am a complete beginner and don't fully understand your reply. I was posting in 'Beginners' after all.

MrEngman

Tue May 12, 2015 6:49 pm

justplainstupid wrote:And I explained on that the thread that that link goes to that I am a complete beginner and don't fully understand your reply. I was posting in 'Beginners' after all.
You did not say you did not understand what I posted but you did mention kusti8 re-writing his post which might be more useful for beginners and there are some issues with it as far as I'm concerned.

Unfortunately if you do not type commands or filenames correctly there is little we can do. I can only suggest if you do get an error first check you have typed the commands/filenames correctly.

If someone asks for the output of a particular file and does not provide the full command, use the command

cat filename
and if you then get an error "permission denied" use command

sudo cat filename
replacing filename with the name of the file you have been asked to provide the output of. If you get an error "No such file or directory" make sure you have typed the filename correctly.

They may also ask for the output of a particular command maybe with a filename following the command. e.g. "command" or maybe "command filename". If you type the command and get an error "permission denied" then type the command preceeded by sudo. e.g. "sudo command" or "sudo command filename". This is rather like using administrative mode in Windows as some commands need to be run in administrative mode to be able to work. And if you get an error "command not found" make sure you have typed the command correctly, or if you get an error "No such file or directory" make sure you have typed the filename correctly.

Generally when I ask someone to provide some information I will usually provide the full command as in my previous post here, rather than just saying "post the output of filename whatever", however, even then you got an error because you must have typed it incorrectly and I had to repeat the info here after which you then provided the right data.

MrEngman

justplainstupid

Tue May 12, 2015 7:24 pm

I'm a complete beginner. *Please* could someone explain to me how to get my wifi working?

justplainstupid

Tue May 12, 2015 7:29 pm

Perhaps someone could just tell me what to type into the machine?

bluewasabi

Wed May 13, 2015 3:25 am

Hi again MrEngman,
Thanks a lot for your patience and knowledge. I needed the 8188eu driver for the REALTEK 0bda:0179 device and the mt7601 driver for the RALINK 148f:7601 device. I was able to operate 148f:7601 with the mt7601 driver, but not 0bda:0179 with the 8188eu driver - any idea what could have gone wrong? Furthermore, I got tempted to update and upgrade Raspbian to 3.18.11 #781 and guess what, the wifi stopped working. I tried a couple workarounds, but gave up and reverted to 3.18.7 #755 - any suggestion on what to do when I update/upgrade?
Thanks much,
BW
MrEngman wrote:
bluewasabi wrote:Thanks MrEngman and sorry [again :roll: ] for the lack of clarity. Just to be sure, you say that I could download the driver and run the script from any directory, including the USB drive; am I correct?
You have two options. You can download and install my 8188eu driver, or download and install the firmware for the built in driver, not both.

OPTION 1. You can download my 8188eu driver using the command

or download it on a Windows/MAC system, and then copy the file to your USB drive, then connect your USB drive to the Pi. Then either go to the directory on the USB driver, or copy the file from the USB drive to the mSD card, then untar the file and install the driver using commands

./install.sh
The ./install.sh command can be run from any directory, including your USB drive.

OPTION 2. You can download the firmware for the built in driver using the command

sudo wget https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu/raw/master/rtl8188eufw.bin
Do not use the wget -O option if you are not downloading the file directly to the Pi. Then copy the file to the USB drive and connect the USB drive to the Pi. Go to the directory where the file is saved and copy the firmware file to the correct directory with the command

sudo cp rtl8188eufw.bin /lib/firmware/rtlwifi
or use a command, with sudo, that copies the file from the directory on the USB drive to the /lib/firmware/rtlwifi directory on the SD card. Only use the wget -O option if you download the file directly to the Pi as the -O option will copy the file to the location defined by the -O option.

Thanks!
I hope that satisfies you.

Why download the mt7601 driver? The wifi module with ID 0bda:0179 uses the 8188eu driver, not the mt7601 driver.

MrEngman

Return to “Troubleshooting”