MrEngman
Posts: 3849
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Sun May 24, 2015 9:49 pm

Chris_Thomas wrote:Hi all,

I've recently just installed the newest version of Raspbian (released 2015-05-05) on to my Pi and and have been struggling to connect to the internet (surprise, surprise ;) ).

I have a Realtek RTL8188CUS as my USB wireless adaptor which is working fine and can pick up all the surrounding routers (including my own) which makes me think this issue isn't to do with drivers or anything like that.

When I click to connect to my router in the GUI mode I'm asked to put in my password, which I do. Once I hit 'OK' the dialog box just disappears and the WiFi remains unconnected. I don't even get a dialogue box saying that I've entered in my .password wrong which makes me think it could possibly be a bug?
......
Thanks in advance.

Chris
Just tried this myself. Generated a new SD card with 2015-05-05 raspbian, booted, ran raspi-config to expand file system and other settings, rebooted and started X. Selected the networking button and selected my wifi AP, typed the password and hit 'OK' and like you nothing appeared to happen.

Anyway just to see what happened I rebooted and up came the wifi. I was using a TP-LINK TL-WN823N which uses the same driver as your wifi.

With previous images of raspbian if using the Wifi Config GUI to connect the wifi it would connect after running the GUI. I expect the issue we are seeing is something to do with the new network set up.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Skater
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 5:27 am

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Sun May 24, 2015 10:52 pm

No suggestions on how to get the wireless card to recognize a wireless signal?

User avatar
NicKong
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 5:51 am

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Mon May 25, 2015 11:33 am

Hi , Thanks for your excellent work! but I have a question about none of the above, I just modified the file /etc/network/interfaces,as the follow
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
wpa-ssid "name"
wpa-psk "pwd"
address 192.168.0.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
network 192.168.0.1
#wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp

After that, I reboot it,but I can not connected it any more! Do I have missed something? :x any body can help me? help! :shock:
where there is a will, there is a way! the way to make my idea come ture.

MrEngman
Posts: 3849
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Mon May 25, 2015 6:29 pm

NicKong wrote:Hi , Thanks for your excellent work! but I have a question about none of the above, I just modified the file /etc/network/interfaces,as the follow
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
wpa-ssid "name"
wpa-psk "pwd"
address 192.168.0.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
network 192.168.0.1
#wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp

After that, I reboot it,but I can not connected it any more! Do I have missed something? :x any body can help me? help! :shock:
Remove the last line in your /etc/network/interfaces? What does command sudo iwlist wlan0 scan show? Have you tried command sudo ifup --force wlan0 or as an alternative commands sudo ifdown wlan0, sudo ifup wlan0.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 36105
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Mon May 25, 2015 6:39 pm

Also remove that "network 192.168.0.1" line, it's wrong and it's not needed anyway.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

ozbird
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:26 am

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Tue May 26, 2015 12:27 pm

I was having a lot of stability problems with a RT5370 "WiPi" dongle until I forced the wireless router to use a 20MHz channel width (instead of 40MHz or "Auto".) Without this, the dongle would flip back and forth between 20MHz and 40MHz and get very hot. Look for lots of "wlan0: AP xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx changed bandwidth" messages in /var/log/messages.

hani
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 10:11 am

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Tue May 26, 2015 12:49 pm

ozbird wrote:I was having a lot of stability problems with a RT5370 "WiPi" dongle until I forced the wireless router to use a 20MHz channel width (instead of 40MHz or "Auto".) Without this, the dongle would flip back and forth between 20MHz and 40MHz and get very hot. Look for lots of "wlan0: AP xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx changed bandwidth" messages in /var/log/messages.
I have the same dongle and can confirm changing channel bandwidth from 40MHz to 20MHz has all but solves my wifi troubles.

At the same time I also reinstalled net mods:

Code: Select all

apt-get install --reinstall -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confask" raspberrypi-net-mods
And left the interfaces config as standard (the reinstall reset this file) and together they've really made the connectivity to my wireless network snappy and stable.

With that said I still got occasional dropouts which I am working through but for the interim, I've just implemented a script that resets the adaptor if the network stays down for a while. I think it's acceptable now as it can always recover and the frequency of dropouts went from several times a day to only 1-2 since I had made the above-mentioned changes.

allanctan
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:02 am

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Wed May 27, 2015 4:55 am

I had problems with my detecting my USB wifi and the pi crash a few seconds after startup.
It turns out that the power supply is not generating enough for the wifi device...
Just wanted to share for anyone who encounters this problem.

Please make sure you get power supply with at least 1A (or higher) to avoid power supply problems with your usb wifi.

Skater
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 5:27 am

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Wed May 27, 2015 8:18 am

Figured it out.

People, just go to this link and follow the instructions. It was EASY!

http://raspberrypihq.com/how-to-add-wif ... pberry-pi/

MrEngman
Posts: 3849
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Wed May 27, 2015 8:47 am

Skater wrote:Figured it out.

People, just go to this link and follow the instructions. It was EASY!

http://raspberrypihq.com/how-to-add-wif ... pberry-pi/
The only trouble with these instructions, like so many others, is that it is not 100% correct especially the statement regarding the dmesg output which is incorrect.

In the section entitled "Adding WiFi adapter to the Raspberry Pi" this statement is not correct - "This means that the operating system recognized the USB WiFi Adapter using one of the built-in drivers (you can return to the terminal by pressing “q”). All that is left is to configure your WiFi connection."

The wifi adapter will show in the dmesg output regardless of whether a driver for your particular wifi is loaded or NOT, and if the driver is not loaded you will not be able to configure your wifi. That message it refers to in the dmesg output is showing the devices detected on the USB bus and has no relevance to whether a driver for the wifi adapter is included in the image or not.

EDIT: And to expand on that a bit. To see if a driver is loaded you need to look for the line including

Code: Select all

usbcore: registered new interface driver xxxxxx
where xxxxxx will be the driver name. This message will appear in the output of dmesg a few lines after the wifi adapter USB data appears.

If you do not see that line then the driver is not loaded, so most likely is not included in the image, and you will need to find and install a driver for your particular wifi adapter.


MrEngman
Last edited by MrEngman on Wed May 27, 2015 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 36105
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Wed May 27, 2015 8:50 am

The other problem if you hard code the SSID and PSK in the interfaces file then you can't get your RPi connected to an alien (not at home) network without jumping through some hoops.

If you leave the SSID/PSK stuff in the supplicant file (and run supplicant) then it's trivial to add an alien network.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Kyar
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 5:12 pm

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:25 pm

Hi, I have many problems with the new raspbian :

lsusb : detected
lsmod : detected
ifconfig -a : wlan0 detected

My /etc/network/interfaces :

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

auto wlan1
allow-hotplug wlan1
iface wlan1 inet manual
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

I can connect to my wifi at the first time with a IP adress but I don't have internet...
And when I try to reconnect to, I have "Failed to disconnect" and impossible to reconnect now.

It work perfectly with the older version :x

MrEngman
Posts: 3849
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:15 pm

Kyar wrote:Hi, I have many problems with the new raspbian :

lsusb : detected
lsmod : detected
ifconfig -a : wlan0 detected

My /etc/network/interfaces :

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

auto wlan1
allow-hotplug wlan1
iface wlan1 inet manual
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

I can connect to my wifi at the first time with a IP adress but I don't have internet...
And when I try to reconnect to, I have "Failed to disconnect" and impossible to reconnect now.

It work perfectly with the older version :x
The new networking set up is a mess. If you set it up using the GUI after you have selected your wifi network and added the password and saved the configuration reboot and you should then find a connection with internet access.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 36105
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:33 pm

MrEngman wrote: The new networking set up is a mess. If you set it up using the GUI after you have selected your wifi network and added the password and saved the configuration reboot and you should then find a connection with internet access.
You can say that again. It's worse than a mess.

I ended up purging dhcpcd5 and raspberrypi-net-mods and going back to a regular set-up with dhcpcd as the DHCP client (because isc-dhcp-client leaks memory).

I've not worked out where we can open an issue against the awful mess the RPF folks have inflicted on the general population.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Kyar
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 5:12 pm

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:46 pm

Same problem... I created a new image and impossible to have internet.

After the reboot I can't have internet and my IP adress is : 169.254.23.194/16 whereas my pc have 192.168.0.10 :shock:

MrEngman
Posts: 3849
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:05 pm

Kyar wrote:Same problem... I created a new image and impossible to have internet.

After the reboot I can't have internet and my IP adress is : 169.254.23.194/16 whereas my pc have 192.168.0.10 :shock:
I tried the new raspbian image and when I tried the set up in the GUI I got an address 169.254.xx.yy but after rebooting I then got an IP that was right for my wifi network, 192.168.xx.yy.

You could try command

Code: Select all

sudo ifup --force wlan0
and see what that does.

I am not using the 2015-05-05 image now and have gone back to using the previous image and have update with rpi-update and fortunately it does not have that new network mess included yet.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Kyar
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 5:12 pm

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:30 pm

With sudo ifup --force wlan0 :

wpa_supplicant: /sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start
run parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant exited with return code 1

After one other reboot, the same IP... But no one message with sudo ifup --force wlan0.

How did you do with update ? Because I did update, upgrade and dist-upgrade with a previous image but I had the new network.

Did you do : apt-get update and rpi-update without upgrade and dist-upgrade ?

Sorry if you have problem to understand me, I'm French :)

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 36105
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:21 pm

Kyar wrote:Same problem... I created a new image and impossible to have internet.

After the reboot I can't have internet and my IP adress is : 169.254.23.194/16 whereas my pc have 192.168.0.10 :shock:
That 169.254.xxx.xxx address is assigned when there is no reply to a DHCP request before the timeout. Is your ethernet cable connected? Does your WLAN interface have the right SSID/password?
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

lte678
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:04 am

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:29 am

Kyar wrote:With sudo ifup --force wlan0 :

wpa_supplicant: /sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start
run parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant exited with return code 1

After one other reboot, the same IP... But no one message with sudo ifup --force wlan0.

How did you do with update ? Because I did update, upgrade and dist-upgrade with a previous image but I had the new network.

Did you do : apt-get update and rpi-update without upgrade and dist-upgrade ?

Sorry if you have problem to understand me, I'm French :)
I am wondering if you put spaces between the equal signs, because that's what happened to me. I got the exact same error (daemon failed to start). Its a simple fix but it took a few days to figure out.

Code: Select all

network={
        ssid = "your network name" ==> ssid="your network name"
        psk = "password"           ==> psk="password"
}
Just curious, is it common knowledge that there shouldn't be any spaces because it's never mentioned.

PS: Your English is great, way better than my french :D

cacb
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:18 am

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:54 pm

This is an awfully long thread and I have been looking but not finding my answer.

I have been using RPIs for a couple of years (I own 3 PI1 Model B plus one PI2 Moddel B). I have a carefully written document describing how to set up things. But as I am helping a friend with his PI1 B+ which will be running headless, I am frustrated by the new wireless system, which forced me to reinstall raspbian from scratch once again since my standard /etc/network/interfaces just left everything NOT WORKING.

The following has been my standard method up until now ( /etc/network/interfaces )

Code: Select all

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp        
allow wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-ssid “MY-SSID”
    wpa-psk  “MY_PASSWORD”
But this does not work anymore, I found and I had to do a reinstall to fix it. I see some people say I should log into the GUI and connect there. But I am preparing a machine for a friend and I don't have access to his network here, and there isn't going to be a mouse, keyboard or screen when the machine gets to his place.

I want to set it up in /etc/network/interfaces like before and not click on some GUI widget.

How can I do it after the changes?

Thomas Korimort
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:56 am

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:50 am

Hi!
I have the following problem: I used an rpi2 Debian jessie image from http://sjoerd.luon.net/posts/2015/02/de ... e-on-rpi2/. My EdiMax (RTL8188CUS) WLAN adapter was recognized immediately over USB. Only thing i had to do was installing the WPA-supplicant package, since it was not included in the image and configure /etc/network/interfaces setting up wpa-ssid , wpa-psk and dhcp address. So far it is working and the RPi2 is included in my WLAN network at home. The router is connected vi ADSL to the internet and some Windows machines and Android devices are also connected sometimes (not all simultaneously). The streaming speed and general internet speed of all the Windows and Android devices is Ok, but streaming with Kodi over the WLAN adapter of my RPI2 is slow. I am trying to use Kodi which i have compiled myself, but it is very slow in buffering video streams with Kodi. However, according to the usual speed of my machines in the WLAN also the speed of RPi2 WLAN should be ok, but it is not. It is slow. I also installed on the system the non-free contrib package of firmware-realtek and in my lsmod the 8192cu is listed now. SAMBA in WLAN is now very fast in contrast to before.

I am suspecting that the USB hub (with own power supply) on my RaspBerry Pi 2 might be responsible because of unstable power supply thus slowing down all the attached devices (including the WLAN adapter, USB harddisk and USB printer). Otherwise, what could it be else?

Update: WLAN is working on my RPi2 however it seems, that the apropriate driver was not used. My RTL8188CUS now uses the non-free contrib driver of Debian 8.0 Jessie "realtek-firmware". WLAN speed has greatly improved. Now my SAMBA is working really fast. I have unplugged the WLAN adapter from the USB hub and attached it directly to 1 of the 4 USB ports of the RPi2 in order to widen its bandwidth.

It would be nice to have at least one USB 3.0 port on the RPi2 in order to be able to attach a big USB hub with high bandwidth demands.

I got mixed up little bit, because i was compiling Kodi mediacenter for my native Debian 8.0 Jessie image and after some struggling i managed to get it running, but still the buffering of video and audio sources over the WLAN and ADSL internet connection is very slow, even unacceptably slow. Thus i was thinking this is an issue of the WLAN connection from my RPi2. After updating the driver to the appropriate non-free contrib driver the WLAN speed increased to its expected speed when using SAMBA to test. The Kodi buffering is still very slow and streaming videos through the Kodi add-ons is virtually impossible and may be an issue related to the configuration of Kodi. However, that question seems to belong to another thread...
Last edited by Thomas Korimort on Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thomas Korimort
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:56 am

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:54 am

MrEngman wrote:
Chris_Thomas wrote:Hi all,

I've recently just installed the newest version of Raspbian (released 2015-05-05) on to my Pi and and have been struggling to connect to the internet (surprise, surprise ;) ).

I have a Realtek RTL8188CUS as my USB wireless adaptor which is working fine and can pick up all the surrounding routers (including my own) which makes me think this issue isn't to do with drivers or anything like that.

When I click to connect to my router in the GUI mode I'm asked to put in my password, which I do. Once I hit 'OK' the dialog box just disappears and the WiFi remains unconnected. I don't even get a dialogue box saying that I've entered in my .password wrong which makes me think it could possibly be a bug?
......
Thanks in advance.

Chris
Just tried this myself. Generated a new SD card with 2015-05-05 raspbian, booted, ran raspi-config to expand file system and other settings, rebooted and started X. Selected the networking button and selected my wifi AP, typed the password and hit 'OK' and like you nothing appeared to happen.

Anyway just to see what happened I rebooted and up came the wifi. I was using a TP-LINK TL-WN823N which uses the same driver as your wifi.

With previous images of raspbian if using the Wifi Config GUI to connect the wifi it would connect after running the GUI. I expect the issue we are seeing is something to do with the new network set up.


MrEngman
maybe you forgot to configure wpa_supllicant as listed in the header of this thread. In a WPA secured network you have to provide WPA-SSID and WPA-PSK code. Please look at the first page of this thread and read.

MrEngman
Posts: 3849
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:39 am

Thomas Korimort wrote: maybe you forgot to configure wpa_supllicant as listed in the header of this thread. In a WPA secured network you have to provide WPA-SSID and WPA-PSK code. Please look at the first page of this thread and read.
I would suggest you read the rules on posting on this forum regarding the language you use.

I know very well how to use the wifi and don't need help from someone using language you use.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Thomas Korimort
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:56 am

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:44 am

Sorry, if you feel offended by my post. My intention was not to use a rude language in any way. If however, it seems to you i used a rude language, this is a misunderstanding. I was trying to give you useful information as i suspected from the information in your post that you might have some problem with the configuration of WPA_supplicant. And as far as i see from my Post i did not use any rude words, thus i feel little bit attacked in an unexpected way by your accusation...

MrEngman
Posts: 3849
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:47 am

Thomas Korimort wrote:Sorry, if you feel offended by my post. My intention was not to use a rude language in any way. If however, it seems to you i used a rude language, this is a misunderstanding. I was trying to give you useful information as i suspected from the information in your post that you might have some problem with the configuration of WPA_supplicant. And as far as i see from my Post i did not use any rude words, thus i feel little bit attacked in an unexpected way by your accusation...
Then look at your previous post


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Return to “Troubleshooting”