FeLeX

What am I doing wrong?

Mon May 06, 2013 5:01 am

Let me start with that I wasn't sure which section this post should go into so if I posted it in the wrong one I am sorry.
Basically I have a problem with almost everything I try to do, and yet I see videos of people running things just fine. For example, I used to have bsnes and it would start just fine and I could load a ROM but it would run super slow. This was before I found out that I need to allocate RAM to the GPU, but before I had the chance to do that bsnes broke. When I click on the icon my CPU goes to 100% but nothing happens at all. Since then I have reinstalled Raspbian many times, for many separate reasons but the result is still the same. This makes me think that there are some files or libraries that are not mentioned in Aptitude, it feels like I downloaded them on accident the first time I had bsnes work.
Also when it comes down Quake 3 and OpenArena both of them wont start. They both say Could not load OpenGl subsystems. Another example would be Abuse. If I start it in startx environment it works, but if I attempt to run it in command line without startx then the game loads and the screen goes black and I have to unplug the power and plug it back in.
The list goes on. There are numerous programs that I can install from Aptitude but when I run them nothing at all happens. I've looked for solutions for my problems as far as OpenArena goes but I havent found abything that worked for me.The only thing I have been able to make work is Shae's PCSX-Rearmed, not the version that comes from Aptitude because that one works but its unplayably slow.
I feel like I'm missing something. Some files that need to be updated or maybe libraries. Every time I have reinstalled Raspbian the first thing I would do is sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. Is that right? Also I have my Raspberry Pi connected through HDMI to DVI. I thought that posed an issue so I connected it to my TV through RCA and nothing changed. Both times if I try to to go menu and change monitor settings it always says Could not get monitor information.
I am very lost and I know its not my Raspberry Pi but its me thats doing something wrong.
Can someone help me, or maybe point me in the right direction? Maybe a website that could teach me more about Raspbian and how to properly install stuff and what exactly compiling is and etc?
I promise I wouldn't be asking if I haven't already googled all this and tried to figure all this out and learn on my own.

obcd

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Mon May 06, 2013 7:13 am

The monitor information is a signal that is available on the hdmi connector (CEC). If you use a hdmi2dvi cable, you will loose it. Due to that, it's possible that the Pi outputs a video resolution that your monitor or tv can't display. Especially games can use the opengl es of the Pi that might switch the shown video resolution.

FeLeX

Mon May 06, 2013 9:06 am

From what I have read my understanding is that my HDMI to DVI is whats causing OpenArena and Quake 3 to not work. It always spits out the error after it tries to switch resolution to 640X480( I think thats what it is I dont remember). Do you think thats my problem? I will try to run it through RCA and let you know if it works but I have little hope that it will...

FeLeX

Tue May 07, 2013 5:10 am

Okay I know double posting is frowned upon but come on! There are so many people on this forum and I refuse to believe that nobody has the RPi knowledge to help me. PLEASE!

obcd

Tue May 07, 2013 5:46 am

Both times if I try to to go menu and change monitor settings it always says Could not get monitor information.
changing monitor settings is done by altering the /boot/config.txt file. The Elinux website has plenty of information about all possible settings for that file.
Your question is scaring people off because you ask about multiple issues that likely aren't related to each other. For instance, it's very well possible that some programs don't run when started under X environment as they would run much 2 slow if started like that. All programs that use opengl es won't use it as they tend to take over the video system and run fullscreen. On the other hand, programs that use the linux frame buffer for there video output might not run without X.

What version of the kernel are you running? uname -a might give you that information.

SimonSmall

Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 am

Don't give up. Be patient. If you focus on one problem and get that sorted, perhaps by starting a new question just for that problem, you should get a response. Keep in mind that most people have to eat and sleep and work and shop and... :D

If a game requires a graphical display it usually needs to be run from the GUI desktop (i.e. after startx has been run). Without that desktop there is no "display" enabled as you just have the command line.

The packages available through aptitude have been compiled to run on the Pi, but many have not been tested and have issues when you run them, the most common being they are too slow (I have tried a few!). You may be a bit disappointed with the Pi if you are expecting it to be a super games console; the reason Quake runs is that a lot of people have made the effort to sort out the Quake code and settings to make it run.

Yes you should run the sudo apt-get update / upgrade /etc. regularly to keep your OS up to date. Lots of changes are being made to libraries and so on that the performance will keep getting better. I would only expect the card to be re-imaged when it is corrupted, but perhaps it is not so easy to tell if that is the case

mikerr

Tue May 07, 2013 10:01 am

FeLeX wrote:Also when it comes down Quake 3 and OpenArena both of them wont start. They both say Could not load OpenGl subsystems.
IIRC it does that if it doesn't have enough GPU memory - try allocating 128MB
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Return to “Troubleshooting”