TheVillage

SD Screwed by XBMC distrib

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:55 pm

I just dl XBMC to my 8gb SD card. ran it on PI and went through setup ok then reboot and nothing happened. Left it for 30mins then pulled plug. SD card can not be formatted. Both Mac, Windows and camera can no longer format this card, Disk Utility on MAC says 1gb partition but nothing else. It was from XBMC.org, it this legit or a virus site?

Any ideas why its killed card?
Many thanks

Cloudcentric

Re: SD Screwed by XBMC distrib

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:08 pm

I had a SD Card which would not be fully recognized or reformatted his worked: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4
I know everything about nothing"

TheVillage

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:23 pm

Just tried that program. It could only see 1.7GB of 8GB SD card and after long time reported it could not format it. Anyone got any other suggestions?

Spid

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:40 pm

I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

spot_hp

Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:34 pm

Hello,
My fix for my SD Formatter issue was a bit different. IF the issue is the SD Card is not recognized, as was my issue, I went to my computer manufacturer’s website (Dell in my case) and downloaded a Ricoh driver. Once I updated the driver for Win7, the card was recognized, and my formatting is at 50% while I share my fix. Good Luck!

LemmeFatale

Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:30 pm

TheVillage wrote:Just tried that program. It could only see 1.7GB of 8GB SD card and after long time reported it could not format it. Anyone got any other suggestions?
I have two questions, if that's ok, just to rule out one possible problem.

1: Where did you buy the card?

2: Did you test it for genuine capacity prior to use? This can be done using a tool such as F3 (for Linux and Mac OS X), or H2testw (for Microsoft Windows).

The reason I ask is to rule out the possibility of it being a fake-capacity counterfeit card.
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

Return to “Troubleshooting”