gordon456

Can't get O/S to boot on new ras pi

Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:12 pm

I'm having problems getting any of the operating systems to boot any help would be greatly appreciated this is what I'm using

windows 8 pc to download and create .img
brand new raspberry pi model b board
brand new Official raspberry psu 5v 1.0A
dvi-d to hdmi connector on Samsung monitor
Amicroe (the brand name not a micro sd card) 8gb class 10 SDHC card
mouse + keyboard (working)

these are the steps I have taken making images

1.used SD formatter to wipe the card that completes with no problems

2. run win32 disk imager 0.7 (on admin) I select a O/S then write it. that completes again
without any problems.

I have tried all then new versions of wheezy,rico,arch,fedora18 nothing seems to work for me!

when booting it turns on starts loading the text and starts as normal then after 15 seconds
it says error 101 then it keeps on repeating "timeout waiting for hardware cmd 12" (about 3 times)
then "timeout waiting for hardware cmd 13" (once again a few times)

the end result was these messages
entering KBD = oxdb83c00 pid 1
or
entering KBD current=oxda82ac80 pid 1

another time it said unable to open root fs on unknown block (179,2) pid 1 due to keyboard entry

I have been looking at the forum and have tried everything! I also have ordered a
new SanDisk Extreme 16GB SDHC Card (SDSDX-016G-X46) that should turn up tomorrow
as I have read some SD cards are funny and the amicoe is a small Australian company not a big brand name

please help me!!!!! thanks for reading

drgeoff

Re: Can't get O/S to boot on new ras pi

Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:05 pm

1. Try pressing on the SD card while booting. There have been some instances of poor contacts with the pins in the SD card socket. If that helps, visually examine the socket and decide whether to RMA or attempt to fix the problem yourself.

2. If socket OK try a Class 4 SD card.

gordon456

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:14 pm

drgeoff wrote:1. Try pressing on the SD card while booting. There have been some instances of poor contacts with the pins in the SD card socket. If that helps, visually examine the socket and decide whether to RMA or attempt to fix the problem yourself.

2. If socket OK try a Class 4 SD card.
thanks for the suggestion drgeoff, the pins appear to be fine and holding down on the card did not
make any difference at all :-(

Guess I will try this other card I ordered (if it ever arrives) pretty stressed out after the hours I've been
trying to get this thing to work

obcd

Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:40 pm

Try to boot without keyboard and mouse connected first.
Check the TP1 - TP2 board voltage.
It's very critical and needs to be at least 4.85V for a stable operation. (IMHO)
Some low cost usb 2 micro usb cables loose 0.2 - 0.4V under the normal Pi load current.

gordon456

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:07 pm

obcd wrote:Try to boot without keyboard and mouse connected first.
Check the TP1 - TP2 board voltage.
It's very critical and needs to be at least 4.85V for a stable operation. (IMHO)
Some low cost usb 2 micro usb cables loose 0.2 - 0.4V under the normal Pi load current.
@obcd
I have tried without any usb devices plugged in forgot to mention that above sorry,
This is the psu that I have, I don't think it's the problem to be honest although I do not have a Voltmeter
to test it!

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1692861.pdf

http://cpcireland.farnell.com/raspberry ... dp/PW03060

drgeoff

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:09 pm

obcd wrote:Check the TP1 - TP2 board voltage.
The OP did say he is using an 'official' PSU (which usually also have an OK cable), but no harm in checking the voltage if he can.

gordon456

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:19 pm

I have also tried to update the firmware on the SD card to no luck, hopefully this other card turns up
tomorrow and I can try that. it's on the confirmed list of working cards so if that does not work I'll have to
return this board I think

obcd

Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:19 am

The trick is eliminating some possible causes of trouble untill you only got one left.
Trying another sd card seems like a good idea in your case.
Power supply issues usually cause a reboot when the gui is started, as the Pi starts to consume more current at that moment. It's likely not the cause of your problem, but knowing it's fine would eliminate it from the list. I'll put my money on the sd card.

gordon456

Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:56 am

obcd wrote:The trick is eliminating some possible causes of trouble untill you only got one left.
Trying another sd card seems like a good idea in your case.
Power supply issues usually cause a reboot when the gui is started, as the Pi starts to consume more current at that moment. It's likely not the cause of your problem, but knowing it's fine would eliminate it from the list. I'll put my money on the sd card.
yeah that's also what I'm thinking (and praying for!) It's silly that some SD cards work and some don't, if you have sata connection on your pc you can go and buy any sata drive and it works .

they need to rethink this next time they make a new board it's not right that people have to go and try a load of different cards hoping they might work then post it on wiki so other people know. if it's a set standard it should just work!

obcd

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:57 am

Some sd cards simply don't follow the standards, and some even don't have the capacity they report to the user. Just google for fake sd cards and read some of the stuff.
There isn't much the foundation could do to prevent this.
I must agree if you start using your Pi and are unlucky to have an incompatible supply, a non working sd card and some incompatible usb devices, it's a fustrating experience.

rpdom

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:06 pm

gordon456 wrote:
obcd wrote:It's silly that some SD cards work and some don't, if you have sata connection on your pc you can go and buy any sata drive and it works .
I wish! My PCs mostly only support SATA-1 at 150Mb/s. Stick a 300Mb/s or 600Mb/s drive on t and it won't work at all - unless you get one of the old ones with a compatibility jumper, or can get use of a SATA-2 adaptor and software to set the drive to default to 150Mb/s :(

(Sorry for going off topic)

Return to “Troubleshooting”