Alan Johnstone

Wifi stops working when out of range

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:46 pm

I run my Rpi using SSH or VNC.
Recently I have added agps module which is working well and I have started taking the RPi for#a walk to see how accurate the GPS is. (answer: quite accurate but not accurate enough to guarantee the robot it is intended to pilot will not go for a swim in the garden pond).
Shortly after leaving the range of the house Wifi the little blue light on my Wifi dongle stops winking and presumeably stops working.
I suspect it is intended that it does this to save power.
However back at the house and withing range of the Wifi it does not restart. This means I have no way of communicating with the RPi and have to turn the power off. This risks corrupting the SD card and loses the last few minutes of data I have been writing to file because it has not been written. (The last part has been solved by forcing the data to be written by closing the file after every write).

The question is:

How do I reawaken the Wifi?

Alan

pjc123

Re: Wifi stops working when out of range

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:20 pm

Search this forum. There are posts of scripts that you can start at bootup that will reconnect the wifi when you return in range of your router.

Search this forum again. There is a command to add to your /etc/network/interfaces file that will force the wifi not to go to sleep in order to save power.

Search this forum again. There is a command to add to your /etc/network/interfaces file that will reconnect the wifi if you pull out the dongle and reinsert it, although not necessarily recommended.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

Return to “Troubleshooting”