mharizanov

Frequent power outages - any tips to better prepare for this

Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:47 pm

Guys, where I live we have frequent power outages. I have damaged numerous SD cards and to some degree lost my faith in the Pi's reliability. Any tips on how to make the system more "rugged"? Maybe disabling swap file? any tips are welcome
Thanks

Jim JKla

Re: Frequent power outages - any tips to better prepare for

Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:54 pm

Sounds like you need either a battery powered RPi or a UPS.

You could run your RPi from a car battery hookup with a trickle charger on the battery. ;)

The system would at least give youtime to shut down your RPi gracefully.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

mharizanov

Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:35 pm

I thought about this too, but that's not so mobile.. and not so cheap.

What I meant is to take measures in the OS itself to reduce the risk of data loss to some reasonable extent..if possible.

Jim JKla

Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:44 pm

You have to remember the RPi is designed primarily as a teaching platform.

In about a year we will have (hopefully) loads of kids applying latteral thinking will come up with new ways of doing things.

There is no way of telling what answers we will have then.

What is your timescale?
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

mharizanov

Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:16 pm

nothing urgent, just recovering from another failed SD crd, hence the frustration :cry:

tonyhughes

Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:20 pm

mharizanov wrote:Guys, where I live we have frequent power outages. I have damaged numerous SD cards and to some degree lost my faith in the Pi's reliability.
How is the Pi considered unreliable if the issue is down to your acknowledged frequent power outages?

If you had a top-end HP/IBM enterprise class server, with redundant everything, you would still have exactly the same problem without some form of battery backup.

Buy a UPS.

mharizanov

Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:26 pm

tonyhughes wrote:
mharizanov wrote:Guys, where I live we have frequent power outages. I have damaged numerous SD cards and to some degree lost my faith in the Pi's reliability.
How is the Pi considered unreliable if the issue is down to your acknowledged frequent power outages?

If you had a top-end HP/IBM enterprise class server, with redundant everything, you would still have exactly the same problem without some form of battery backup.

Buy a UPS.
true
I guess I will have to go for that.

Anyway, my expectation was that some guru would recommend a solution like read-only filesystem with RAM disks mounted over the directories that have to be read-write, but I guess that may be hard to achieve

tonyhughes

Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:43 pm

RAM disks won't stop your data from being lost, it will only prevent SD card corruption, but add a layer of complexity (also knowing as 'geeking yourself into a corner'.

150VA or 300VA UPS would solve your problem the right way, and let you get on with life :-)

Jim JKla

Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:24 pm

They are getting cheaper all the time

Return to “Troubleshooting”