Quake3 Sound only in Root

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:09 pm

Hello,

I've installed Quake3 using the guide from here:
http://www.raspians.com/Knowledgebase/quake-iii-arena/

The game runs fine, no issues except that sound only works if i run

Code: Select all

sudo ./ioquake3.arm
I can run speaker-test -c 2 (not in root) and the test sound works ok on the hdmi TV, and if i do run as root, Quake3's sound is perfect.

On a previous SD card I followed the install guide and sound worked without being in root, so can anyone suggest what is happening that Quake3 just has audio as root user?

My install is the official wheezy with the latest firmware installed and my user is in the audio group.

Thanks,
Regards,

Steve

joan

Re: Quake3 Sound only in Root

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:18 pm

Use the groups command as root and as your normal user.

If there is an audio related difference add yourself to that group using

adduser name group

then logout and back in for the command to take effect.

sheriff076

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:29 pm

Hello,

I've checked and my user, pi, is in:
adm dialout cdrom sudo audio plugdev games users netdev input indiecity

for root user groups shows just:
root

Incidentally I've ran aplay to play the Front_Center.wav file and that plays ok without root.
Regards,

Steve

efflandt

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:06 pm

That has been mentioned in other quake3 threads. The strange thing is that for the same quake3 binaries, sound used to work as a normal user (assuming you are in the right groups) and suddenly would only work using sudo. So it appears that pulseaudio has a permission issue somewhere.

From another thread about audio issues with just "some" programs and not others, I just tried totally purging pulseaudio, and after that, quake3 sound works again without sudo. The only other audio I use is lxmusic for mp3 or internet radio stations, and that still works fine.

It is strange that pulseaudio breaks "some" audio in Raspbian, when I got no audio at all (no PCM in alsamixer) in Lubuntu or regular Debian squeeze on a PC until I installed pulseaudio.

sheriff076

Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:07 am

Thanks Efflandt,

I think I'm going to purge Pulseaudio, I've read countless forum entries of users facing these issues of games not having audio that did before. My scratch games don't have audio anymore, either.

My previous working Wheezy was the October official and after I've re-installed my system using the os from December I've had these troubles. The only connection I can make is that pulseaudio has been added but for some reason it isn't working properly or I'm supposed to 'do something' to make the audio work in games but I'm not clear what I'm supposed to do.

I'll try removing pulse and installing alsa again and see if it fixes the issues.
Regards,

Steve

sheriff076

Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:08 pm

Hello,

For anyone stumbling across this post I did remove pulseaudio and made sure alsa was setup, since then I have got sound back.

Thanks for the assistance.
Regards,

Steve

Return to “Troubleshooting”