redghost

Keyboard not working

Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:36 pm

I received my RPi today and excitedly got it out of the box and put it in the case I ordered to go with it. I connected it to a keyboard, mouse and a monitor via an HDMI to VGA converter (and a KVM switch). I connected the keyboard and mouse via the KVM to start with. I started it up and it started and went through the start up routine which was all appropriately displayed on the screen (via the adapter and KVM) but the RPi failed to recognised the keyboard and mouse. Anyway tried again this time with the keyboard and mouse connected directly but the screen still via the KVM. Again screen worked but failed to recognise the keyboard and mouse.

I looked around the internet and saw that someone had suggested connecting it via the USB because there is a problem possibly related to a polyfuse on the ac input. I misunderstood this to be honest and connected a microUSB cable to a powered USB hub with power output and connected this to the microUSB power connector on the RPi. Hey preso it worked, keyboard, mouse, network ... everything. I think I was supposed to connect a regular USB cable to the full size USB socket but, as I said I misunderstood. It all worked though. Wheezy started up, then I changed to RASBMC and that worked perfectly so I am very pleased. I even disconnected the keyboard and mouse and connected to these via the KVM USB connection and it all worked so I am very pleased indeed.

However the plan is to put the RPi on a TV as a media player and it will need an external power supply but that doesn't seem to be working (no USB on the TV). So is the RPi I have faulty because it won't recognise the keyboard and mouse when it is connected to the AC power or is there something else going on because using the same microUSB socket connected to a USB hub to provide power does work. The AC adapter I am using is a blackberry charger with output of 500mA at 5V DC. Could it be the AC adapter isn't powerful enough but the USB hub is?

Thanks for all your help with this. As you can probably tell I am very new to all this.

Thanks

Red

cosmo

Re: Keyboard not working

Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:33 pm

redghost wrote:I received my RPi today and excitedly got it out of the box and put it in the case I ordered to go with it. I connected it to a keyboard, mouse and a monitor via an HDMI to VGA converter (and a KVM switch). I connected the keyboard and mouse via the KVM to start with. I started it up and it started and went through the start up routine which was all appropriately displayed on the screen (via the adapter and KVM) but the RPi failed to recognised the keyboard and mouse. Anyway tried again this time with the keyboard and mouse connected directly but the screen still via the KVM. Again screen worked but failed to recognise the keyboard and mouse.

I looked around the internet and saw that someone had suggested connecting it via the USB because there is a problem possibly related to a polyfuse on the ac input. I misunderstood this to be honest and connected a microUSB cable to a powered USB hub with power output and connected this to the microUSB power connector on the RPi. Hey preso it worked, keyboard, mouse, network ... everything. I think I was supposed to connect a regular USB cable to the full size USB socket but, as I said I misunderstood. It all worked though. Wheezy started up, then I changed to RASBMC and that worked perfectly so I am very pleased. I even disconnected the keyboard and mouse and connected to these via the KVM USB connection and it all worked so I am very pleased indeed.

However the plan is to put the RPi on a TV as a media player and it will need an external power supply but that doesn't seem to be working (no USB on the TV). So is the RPi I have faulty because it won't recognise the keyboard and mouse when it is connected to the AC power or is there something else going on because using the same microUSB socket connected to a USB hub to provide power does work. The AC adapter I am using is a blackberry charger with output of 500mA at 5V DC. Could it be the AC adapter isn't powerful enough but the USB hub is?

Thanks for all your help with this. As you can probably tell I am very new to all this.

Thanks

Red
500mA is not enough, you need at least 700mA (ideally 1A or more)

ap3197

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:47 pm

redghost wrote:I received my RPi today and excitedly got it out of the box and put it in the case I ordered to go with it. I connected it to a keyboard, mouse and a monitor via an HDMI to VGA converter (and a KVM switch). I connected the keyboard and mouse via the KVM to start with. I started it up and it started and went through the start up routine which was all appropriately displayed on the screen (via the adapter and KVM) but the RPi failed to recognised the keyboard and mouse. Anyway tried again this time with the keyboard and mouse connected directly but the screen still via the KVM. Again screen worked but failed to recognise the keyboard and mouse.

Thanks

Red
If you have access to a Linux machine, have you tried a ssh connection for the keyboard?
From ap3197.

redghost

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:14 pm

Thanks. The lack of power fits with other things I read after posting. I will get a new microUSB adapter and try that.

Thanks

Red

Return to “Troubleshooting”