eastonjanecek

Re: Pi won't boot, ACT light is solid green

Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:48 pm

mahjongg wrote:
eastonjanecek wrote:I have just encountered this same problem. 2 days ago everything was working fine and then yesterday morning I tried to boot it up and got nothing. ACT and PWR are both on. I've tried the same this listed here, multiple sd cards, images and reformattings. Nothing seems to be working, I can't help but assume something shorted out, but I cannot think as to when or why, I had nothing but a wifi dongle attached to it, logging in via SSH and RDC. I really don't want to get another one if this is a fixable issue, but nothing seems to be working.
sd-cards are by nature unreliable, and can "crap out" on you after extended use with many write cycles.
buy another sd-card. format it using the official formatting tool, using full format, and size adjust on.
download the latest NOOBS, and extract the zip file to the card.

read the boot problems sticky if you have any problems.

After that works, you can try to do the same with your old card, to see if it can be revived.
What would be the purpose of retrying to reformat the old cards if they already do not work with the reformatting that would be performed on the new card? I doubt they crapped out as they work fine with EVERYTHING else. I've read the sticky, it was just very little help as nothing it said worked for me, so now I'm here. I will try with a new card but I'm very suspicious that it will not work, yet again.

If only you could scan it with a pc to see if there were a hardware fault.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:12 pm

boot a linux CD on your pc, and use the "gparted" program that usually comes with it to have a look at the card.

You will see that it contains several partitions, only the first one is reported by windows, that explains why they (the cards) became "smaller".

It also shows the card has NOT been formatted! did you use the official sd-card associations formatter with the full format an resize options on (resize is the setting that recesses the primary partition, by removing all others, then resizing the remaining partition to fill all the space on the card.

A reason formatting might not work is if your card writer is incompatible with some card types.

A simple way to restore the cards would be to "format" them in a camera.

sirdigalot

Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:30 am

I had the exact same issue, i was playing around with it, and all of a sudden both lights came on and stayed on no matter what i do.

however, i may have found the root cause, or at least something that points to it.

I was playing with USB devices, and was plugging some new devices into a hub that was connected to one of the ports, I am thinking something happened with the hub to overload and/or short the board, i am not sure however if it was overvoltage for some reason or it was just sucking too much power.

but that was the only thing i was doing i have since thrown the hub far, far away, and will but a new pi, it was just an infant too :( i would be more upset if these things cost $100 a time, but at least it is only the cost of a bottle of jack ;-)

but be warned with USB things, they might foobar your device - even if it is just something as dumb as static :-/

hope this helps a little, if i manage to find a way of resurrecting the pi (is that like leftovers?) then i will post an update.

wylde007

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:04 pm

bwkrayb wrote:After poking it a little bit, i realized that the heat sink had been just barely touching some part that is next to the processor, just enough to arc.
I dug and dug and dug on the interwebz and found nothing which explained my very similar situation (red and green lights on solid) until your post. I, too, have a B+ with a heat sink over the processor and thought nothing of it. Recently we have been moving things about and I believe it may have been jarred just enough to create a bridge between one of the adjacent parts, shorting it out.

Since I do not know how to safely remove the heat sink at present, I folded a small slip of paper and used it as an insulator between that adjacent piece and the heat sink. Plugged it in, and voila! Booted up. The boot sequence suggested that something got corrupted, but it also completed and went through to the GUI, so I guess whatever it did, it fixed.
So... I broke a birthday present. :/
Sir, I know you are disappointed that your Pi got cooked, but your post may very well have saved mine!
The man who did the waking buys the man who was sleeping a drink; and then the man who was sleeping drinks it while listening to a proposition from the man who did the waking.

Yanie

Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:50 pm

I actually ran into the same problem, I got the problem with red light on and green light on, no blinking, both bright and the black screen.

I'm new to Raspberry and yesterday was my first try.
I bought a Raspberry Pi2 + HiFiBerry Dac + pro and a 32Gb class 10 SanDisk Ultra card, I also got a power plug which outputs 5.2V and 2A.
From the HiFiBerry page I followed the installer which added Linux with Volumio on my sd card.

I inserted the card, plugged in the cables and at last inserted the power. It booted up with no problems and I was even able to play an internet Radio.
After that I did some updates and expanded the sd to full size.
When I did this, booting still did not give any problem, all kept working fine..

Next I wanted to add some music onto the sd card. To do this, I inserted a USB-stick 3.0 onto the Raspberry Pi 2. I copied the music to the home folder of Linux. No problem occured as from what I could see (noob here).

I did a reboot and .. my Raspberry won't start anymore. It shows a steady red bright light and a steady green bright light and nothing on the screen.

I've already tried:
- different power supplies
- new sd-card
- different images on the sd-card
- formatted the sd-card Fat32
- starting up with only the power cable and sd-card
- I can't see anything wrong on the pi itself, tho I'm not familiar with electronics
- hdmi cable > tested ok, tv still works, keyboard also .. I just got no ideas left.

It's hard to believe that a copy-action from an USB could have damaged the Pi, nor inserting a USB on the supplied plugs ... , I would think the Pi should be able to handle it. I'm not planning to get a new Pi, specially since I have no idea what I did wrong and also have no solution.

Does anyone have an idea ?

MasterCATZ

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:58 am

Same boat

was all configured as backup emergency PC, stored away, finally needed it a few yrs later, nothing
worst part warranty ran out the previous month

tried 5 sd cards, all same thing red light / green light solid

I wish they could tell us how to fix this , there has to be a better way to diagnose these

bartgrefte

Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:44 pm

I seem to have the same problem with my Pi2.

Was working fine 2 days ago, shut it down, turned it on today: Red+green LED light up continuously and at the same brightness.

Just like some others a few posts above, I did something with an USB device before the last shutdown. I disconnected a smartcard reader from the PiHub and connected it again less than a minute later.

A while later I shut the Pi off, turned it on today: dead.

Fortunately, I don't seem to have lost files and settings, the microSD card seems to work fine in my Pi1B+.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:29 am

bartgrefte wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:44 pm
I seem to have the same problem with my Pi2.
Was working fine 2 days ago, shut it down, turned it on today: Red+green LED light up continuously and at the same brightness.[/quote]
Thats the normal state when not booting, or just in rest, at least for all recent PI's, except the Zero (w).
Just like some others a few posts above, I did something with an USB device before the last shutdown. I disconnected a smartcard reader from the PiHub and connected it again less than a minute later.
Sorry but you seem to think there is a relation between "doing something with USB" and the fact that your PI doesn't boot. I can say with certainty that such a connection is very very unlikely
A while later I shut the Pi off, turned it on today: dead.

Fortunately, I don't seem to have lost files and settings, the microSD card seems to work fine in my Pi1B+.
Update that card in your PIB+ and try again, just that a card works on an older PI doesn't automatically mean that it also works in a newer one, although normally it should show at least the GPU test (rainbow screen).

Reasons why any PI suddenly doesn't boot are manyfold, but include:
  • a (partially) blown polyfuse.
  • Broken pins inside the sd-card slot
  • Shorts inside the SD-card slot
  • A SoC that was damaged by static electricity, or simply by mains voltage somehow leaking through the PSU, and because the TV isn't connected to a grounded plug
  • Some GPIO pin was connected to a voltage (relative to the ground of the PI, that was greater than 3.3Volt (say to +5V) which causes the PI's SoC to become damaged
  • A PI damaged because it has fallen on the ground, and so became damaged somehow, for example due to a broken crystal
  • And any number of other damages that can occur
The most common failures are either a corrupted sd-card, or a power supply that is unable to deliver stable power.

bartgrefte

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:54 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:29 am
Thats the normal state when not booting, or just in rest, at least for all recent PI's, except the Zero (w).
So it basically means it hasn't started trying to boot form the microSD card? Since the network interface isn't even being enabled, it's not getting very far, if it actually tries to start to boot.
Sorry but you seem to think there is a relation between "doing something with USB" and the fact that your PI doesn't boot. I can say with certainty that such a connection is very very unlikely
Unlikely yes, but I couldn't help notice the others who's Pi seem to have died that way. Maybe connecting/disconnecting caused a power related problem that damaged something that the Pi needs to be able to boot. (I'm just thinking out loud here)
Update that card in your PIB+ and try again, just that a card works on an older PI doesn't automatically mean that it also works in a newer one, although normally it should show at least the GPU test (rainbow screen).
Did that, the same way I've done a bunch of times before, with Win32DiskImager and the most recent image of Raspbian jessie Lite.

The result is the same, works in other Pi's (Pi1, PiZW and a recently bought Pi3), not in my Pi2.
Reasons why any PI suddenly doesn't boot are manyfold, but include:
  • a (partially) blown polyfuse.
  • Broken pins inside the sd-card slot
  • Shorts inside the SD-card slot
  • A SoC that was damaged by static electricity, or simply by mains voltage somehow leaking through the PSU, and because the TV isn't connected to a grounded plug
  • Some GPIO pin was connected to a voltage (relative to the ground of the PI, that was greater than 3.3Volt (say to +5V) which causes the PI's SoC to become damaged
  • A PI damaged because it has fallen on the ground, and so became damaged somehow, for example due to a broken crystal
  • And any number of other damages that can occur
- polyfuse: From what I know, that should solve itself after a day or so without power. But even if it was this, the powerled shouldn't be on I believe.
- Broken pins inside the sd-card slot: I've heard about that you need to apply pressure on the memorycard to make contact (tried that), but broken? Just out of the blue when the Pi didn't even move?
- static electricity/mains voltage: If it was the mains voltage leaking, shouldn't the other USB devices connected to the PiHub have died as well? As for the tv, that doesn't have a grounded plug (have never seen one that does), wouldn't do any good anyway, there are no grounded wall outlets outside of the kitchen. Plus I've used the dvb-c receiver a bunch of times before, but connected to my laptop and before the Pi2 with a Pi1. No issues there.
- 3.3V/5.5V GPIO: I always check everything before connecting something to the GPIO, I know to be careful with this. Plus at the time of the malfunction, nothing was connected to the GPIO.
- damage due to falling: The RPi never fell, or moved in any other way. However, I could try to check the crystal anyway (to rule it out), but I believe the crystal needs to be de-soldered before that can be done (would have to look into that).
The most common failures are either a corrupted sd-card, or a power supply that is unable to deliver stable power.
I tried several power supplies that deliver more than 2 amps and since the microSD cards I tried work in both older and newer Pi's, it seems I ruled that out too. Unless the memorycard holder got damaged without touching it.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:14 pm

Let me say first, that if you believe your PI to be defective, then please return it to the reseller under the guarantee that you should have.

A defective PI is frustrating so one tends to quickly grasp for any idea to explain it, even if its just grasping for straws. Your idea that the PI no longer boots has something to do with "unplugging an USB device" is just such a straw, people are plugging/unplugging USB devices all the time without any such consequences. But one person mentioning he did it just before his PI (or micro-SD card) broke, and posting it as a possible "explanation" might trigger another person reading the blog to remember that yes, he had also unplugged an USB device, (as is very often the case) and the rest is just conformation bias, chasing wild geese (they say where I live). In fact no evidence exist for the idea that unplugging an USB device is causing damage to a PI, and having thought about such a possibility myself I see no reason to believe in such a possibility.

Its strange that your TV isn't grounded, as modern TV's need such a ground plug and in fact the ONLY connection the GND circuit of a PI has with earth ground is through the HDMI cable with the earth circuit of the TV, which *should* be connected to ground. If not, then the filter caps in the switching power supply of the TV will quite possibly leak mains voltage to the GND/earth of the TV, nominally this would cause about halve of the AC mains voltage to appear on the GND of the TV, thus also on the GND of the PI, and when this PI with say a hundred volts on it comes in contact with something that is grounded (a person touching traces on the board of the PI) then this might cause damage to said PI. Just as touching a PI after you have rubbed a cat, or walked on woolen tapestry, might do because of static electricity.

I have read about someone that said he saw a spark coming from the heatsink of his PI, that might be a clue that his PI had a large AC voltage relative to earth on it (from being connected to an non-grounded TV). You can only generate sparks if you have in excess of a few hundred volts between the two potentials between which the spark appears.

I did not mean to say that you have a broken polyfuse or anything else I listed as possible causes for a broken PI, just that these are the examples of previous reasons I have seen for PI's not booting because they were broken somehow. Still polyfuses that have incrementally developed a higher than normal resistance might cause boot failures in a marginally powered system, even when they are not actually "blown", just a power dip of a few millisecond might crash the booting process.

To end this post, let me just say that yes, PI's can (like any electronic device) suddenly stop working, (especially when they are used without an enclosure) and its very hard to find out why, perhaps you can send your broken PI to the RPF so they can have a look at it to perhaps find out what has happened with it. trying to remotely find out whatever is causing this problem is more or less a hopeless task.

bartgrefte

Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:50 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Let me say first, that if you believe your PI to be defective, then please return it to the reseller under the guarantee that you should have.
Tried that, unlike most products sold in this country, RPi's only have a 1 (instead of 2) year guarantee. I've had it a little under 2, so the store's no help.
mahjongg wrote:
A defective PI is frustrating so one tends to quickly grasp for any idea to explain it, even if its just grasping for straws. Your idea that the PI no longer boots has something to do with "unplugging an USB device" is just such a straw, people are plugging/unplugging USB devices all the time without any such consequences. But one person mentioning he did it just before his PI (or micro-SD card) broke, and posting it as a possible "explanation" might trigger another person reading the blog to remember that yes, he had also unplugged an USB device, (as is very often the case) and the rest is just conformation bias, chasing wild geese (they say where I live). In fact no evidence exist for the idea that unplugging an USB device is causing damage to a PI, and having thought about such a possibility myself I see no reason to believe in such a possibility.
It's definitely frustrating, especially since there doesn't seem to be any visible indication on the Pi itself what might have malfunctioned/broke.
mahjongg wrote:
Its strange that your TV isn't grounded, as modern TV's need such a ground plug and in fact the ONLY connection the GND circuit of a PI has with earth ground is through the HDMI cable with the earth circuit of the TV, which *should* be connected to ground. If not, then the filter caps in the switching power supply of the TV will quite possibly leak mains voltage to the GND/earth of the TV, nominally this would cause about halve of the AC mains voltage to appear on the GND of the TV, thus also on the GND of the PI, and when this PI with say a hundred volts on it comes in contact with something that is grounded (a person touching traces on the board of the PI) then this might cause damage to said PI. Just as touching a PI after you have rubbed a cat, or walked on woolen tapestry, might do because of static electricity.
Well, I've mostly seen them with a connector like this, also with those ac->dc (laptop like) power supplies that are used when the power supply isn't build in. Although some do have a grounded connector.

But still, it couldn't have leaked through hdmi since the hdmi-connector isn't being used, my tv doesn't even have hdmi (too old). The died Pi used a DVB-C receiver with coax connector and it's connected to the Pi by USB, its not connected to a tv (or pc monitor) at all. So unless the leakage (if it was that) could've come in that way... Then it's still strange I didn't have any problems when it was hooked up to my laptop, the Pi1 after that and now the Pi3 (replacing the Pi2).
mahjongg wrote:
I have read about someone that said he saw a spark coming from the heatsink of his PI, that might be a clue that his PI had a large AC voltage relative to earth on it (from being connected to an non-grounded TV). You can only generate sparks if you have in excess of a few hundred volts between the two potentials between which the spark appears.
Hmm, well, I didn't see any sparks, or any other visual indicators something happened. I don't see any blown/melted components either, but the damage could be internal, so that doesn't mean anything.
mahjongg wrote:
I did not mean to say that you have a broken polyfuse or anything else I listed as possible causes for a broken PI, just that these are the examples of previous reasons I have seen for PI's not booting because they were broken somehow. Still polyfuses that have incrementally developed a higher than normal resistance might cause boot failures in a marginally powered system, even when they are not actually "blown", just a power dip of a few millisecond might crash the booting process.
Ah, but I checked everything (again) anyway, just in case I missed something.
mahjongg wrote:
To end this post, let me just say that yes, PI's can (like any electronic device) suddenly stop working, (especially when they are used without an enclosure) and its very hard to find out why, perhaps you can send your broken PI to the RPF so they can have a look at it to perhaps find out what has happened with it. trying to remotely find out whatever is causing this problem is more or less a hopeless task.
That could be an idea :)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:31 pm

I don't understand this:
But still, it couldn't have leaked through hdmi since the hdmi-connector isn't being used, my tv doesn't even have hdmi (too old). The died Pi used a DVB-C receiver with coax connector and it's connected to the Pi by USB, its not connected to a tv (or pc monitor) at all. So unless the leakage (if it was that) could've come in that way... Then it's still strange I didn't have any problems when it was hooked up to my laptop, the Pi1 after that and now the Pi3 (replacing the Pi2).
exactly how was the DVB-C receiver used?
Most have a HDMI port, but it is an output, not an input, so how did you use the PI with a DVB-C receiver, and a laptop?
puzzled... :?: :!:

It seems you case has gained some interest from higher up, maybe they can help you...

bartgrefte

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:37 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:31 pm
I don't understand this:
exactly how was the DVB-C receiver used?
Most have a HDMI port, but it is an output, not an input, so how did you use the PI with a DVB-C receiver, and a laptop?
puzzled... :?: :!:

It seems you case has gained some interest from higher up, maybe they can help you...
The DVB-C receiver has a coax-input for DVB-C and DVB-T and a USB-connector to connect it to a computer (so no hdmi/scart output for tv's, don't confuse it with a settopbox supplied by ISP's). The software I'm using on the RPi (tvheadend) streams the tv-channels I want to watch to media players on other devices, that's one way to use it.

Originally I had it hooked up to my laptop where I used Anysee's own software to watch tv, so on the same device the DVB-C receiver was hooked up to.

Now, with the help of a RPi and tvheadend, I can watch tv on any device with network access and a media player that supports network streams.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:32 pm

So you are using this PI "headless", that is without it having a monitor of its own.... correct?!
And you connect your TV receiver to the PI over USB to stream TV programs to Ethernet. correct?

You are NOT in any way using the TV receiver as a means to connect a PI's HDMI (or composite) video signal to any monitor, right?

question: how do you know your PI is or isn't booting without visible output?

bartgrefte

Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:01 pm

mahjongg wrote:
So you are using this PI "headless", that is without it having a monitor of its own.... correct?!
And you connect your TV receiver to the PI over USB to stream TV programs to Ethernet. correct?
Correct, times two
mahjongg wrote:
You are NOT in any way using the TV receiver as a means to connect a PI's HDMI (or composite) video signal to any monitor, right?
Nope.
mahjongg wrote:
question: how do you know your PI is or isn't booting without visible output?
When the Pi stopped working, I hooked up a monitor (with a dvi-hdmi adapter) to see if that displayed anything, the monitor didn't get a signal from the Pi.

Return to “Troubleshooting”