nremm02

Pi won't boot, ACT light is solid green

Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:28 pm

I am trying to boot my Raspberry Pi for the first time, and am having problems. Once plugged in, the ACT light and the power light both go on and stay lit but there is no output. I've read where sometimes the ACT is on but dim, this is not the problem. My ACT light never blinks, and is just as bright as the power light.

I have tried two different SD cards, and three different power adapters and USB wires. I am getting 5.01 V when tested at T1 and T2 points, and the F3 fuse also seems to be working.

Anyone have any ideas? Could I have a bad board?

Thanks

drgeoff

Re: Pi won't boot, ACT light is solid green

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:46 pm

That you have tried 2 SD cards causes me to believe that you are writing these yourself (rather than having purchased pre-written ones). That would also make me think that you have a computer of some kind and an card reader.

If you plug either of the SD cards into your PC, what files does your computer see on the card?

nremm02

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm using my Dell laptop's (64bit win7) internal card reader to write the SD card. Here are the files I can see on the SD card:
Hard to see the screen shot:
  • bootcode
    cmdline
    config
    fixup.dat
    fixup_cd.dat
    issue
    kernel
    kernel_cutdown
    kernel_emergency
    start.elf
    start_cd.elf
I have reformatted the cards using the sdfmt 3.1 tool. I've seen references to multiple partition in other threads... Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks again for the help

Jim JKla

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:23 pm

There's a fist load of info noob level just in case over at the wiki.

It is worth noting there have been loads of issues with internal (note not all) SD card readers and the best results seem to have been acheved with those little one port SD usb things we can get at poundland in the UK. You have not posted a location in your profile so it's a guess job as to where you are in the world. ;)

http://elinux.org/RPi_Noob_Guide_to_the ... g_an_image

Big note Windows can't see the Linux Partition it's too Stoopid. It can write it
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

nremm02

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:00 pm

Jim JKla:
Thanks for the help. I just re-flashed to SD card using an external card read. Unfortunately, I got the result:
PWR light: solid red
ACT light: solid on (as bright as pwr)
No output or flashing ACT light

Jim JKla

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:44 pm

You do not say how you are connected Composite/HDMI etc. WiFi or Network cable (10BaseT Ethernet)

There is this thing where if you use HDMI if your TV is not live waiting for the HDMI when the RPi tries the RPi assumes it's not on and ignores the HDMI ther is a way to force this in the config.txt file and again there's a load on this in the wiki (NOT Notepad use Wordpad for config.txt)

If you can have a go at a blind login. ;)

http://elinux.org/RPi_A_Method_for_ssh_blind_login
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

Burngate

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:07 am

This seems to be a problem no-one else has had!

It would be interesting to see what happens with nothing but power plugged in - no keyboard or mouse or hub, no HDMI, no network, and most importantly, no SD card.
If the ACT light is still full on, then you've got a faulty board.

FOR NEW READERS:
THIS WAS TRUE FOR THE ORIGINAL PI.
IT IS NOT TRUE FOR Pi B+, Pi A+, OR LATER
Last edited by Burngate on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim JKla

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:26 am

Good call I had nt noticed the No SD card ;)

gatt427

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:31 pm

I have the exact same problem... After reformatting the two SD cards i'm using, i still get the error. It pops up with the recovery screen, but it wont let me run recovery. also, when installing the OS, it is supposed to reboot then prompt you with the date and time settings and stuff. It did that the first time I tried, but ever since that first attempt, it has not even gotten that far. I think it has to do with the internal fuses, but I'm not sure. does anyone now how long I should have to wait until that starts working again? (assuming that the issue is in fact the fuse tripping)
~Gatt427

DeeJay

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:12 am

gatt427 wrote:I have the exact same problem... After reformatting the two SD cards i'm using, i still get the error. It pops up with the recovery screen, but it wont let me run recovery. also, when installing the OS, it is supposed to reboot then prompt you with the date and time settings and stuff. It did that the first time I tried, but ever since that first attempt, it has not even gotten that far. I think it has to do with the internal fuses, but I'm not sure. does anyone now how long I should have to wait until that starts working again? (assuming that the issue is in fact the fuse tripping)
~Gatt427
From your description, you do not "have the exact same problem".

The original enquiry was about a system that would not boot. Yours has been seen to boot up.

The original enquiry was about an SD card that had an image of a single operating system, probably Raspbian. You appear to be using the NOOBS installer - from your mention of 'recovery'.

Why do you think you might have tripped the internal fuses? Have you used a Power Supply that is a long way outside the specification? Or connected an external device that drew a lot of current? There are other forum posts about the resettable fuses - basically there is no single moment at which they suddenly reset, it is a 'healing' process that takes place gradually, sometimes taking days.

For detailed troubleshooting advice, please see these links -

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 28&t=58151

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting

Quick Start Guide
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

gatt427

Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:46 pm

I don't really know very much about the Pi, my hypothesis about the fuse was the result of two hours searching for a solution. I said this was the same, because from what I knew, it was. Thank you for clarifying. Do you know what might be wrong with my Pi then? after 'boot' with NOOBS... Since the ACT light is on, its either a faulty board or the display is not working properly, because it is pulling data form the SD. (from what I understand). Also, I have tried clicking the 1-5 keys to get the Pi to register the HDMI to no avail. And that doesn't explain why it does it after initial install. nor why it doesn't display after it is supposed to reboot at the initial install.

Tom42

Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:59 pm

I'm having this issue too. Almost exactly the same as the OP, only I have booted my Pi before many times, so I know it did work.

I was originally using: B+ with a PITFT Adafruit screen running the recommended modified version of Raspbian (for the TFT) - meticulously followed the Adafruit installation instructions, had no problems. I've never abused my Pi and kept it isolated in a small cardboard box when not in use (so it didn't get bashed around).

PI booted, played around with it, no probs. Later I formatted the SD card and installed Noobs (displayed via the HDMI port on my TV) because I wanted to see what that was like. Again, PI worked fine, no probs.

I eventually went back to the original setup, only this time powered the PI from a Lithium battery using the Adafruit 3.7v to 5v converter board and printed a little case for it all - pretty standard stuff. Pi booted fine, no problems, used it for a while.

A couple of days later I switched on the PI and both the power and ACT light stay solid bright (not flashing at all), the screen lights up but remains white (no signal?). The Adafruit power board gets a blue light (indicating that it's passing 5v current to the PI).

I thought it was an issue with the power, so I plugged in the usual micro-usb power supply. Same problem.

I have tried everything I could think of. I've even purchased a brand new Scandisk Ultra SD card and the PI still won't boot using either the original configuration or when I flash it with Noobs. It seems like the PI is 'bricked', but I have no idea how this happened, I have never played with the GPIO pins other than to plug the TFT screen in (and that's just a straight connector), I've never exposed it to 'too much' power, the Adafruit power board doesn't output more than 5v, and it's only ever been connected to either that or to the wall socket via a usb, so I can't see hw it could have been overloaded.

Testing:

The Pi remains the same (both lights solid and bright, no flashing, dimming or any changes) regardless of any action.The Pi did previously work perfectly and 'suddenly' stopped working.

- Powering via battery or wall socket (tried different plugs too)
- 2 different SD cards (one brand new) using both a custom Raspbian distro (which previously worked) or Noobs fresh installed. I have installed both several times and I'm confident there are no formatting errors.
- unplugging keyboard/mouse, removing SD card and just having the pi connected to the power supply.
- running Noobs with the HDMI plugged in (TV is on, and previously worked fine)
- running Noobs, no HDMI plugged in.
- running Raspbian nothing plugged in.
- Nothing plugged in, running on battery.
- different KB/M plugged in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Tom42

Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:52 pm

SOLVED!

For anyone else who has this issue, it's the Pi that's broken.

I bought a new one (B+), unboxed it and used the same setup as my previous one (same SD card, literally just took it out of the old one and put it in the new one) - booted instantly, no problems at all.

Since my previous Pi worked fine for a week or two, I'll update this post if my new one has the same issue!

DougieLawson

Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:09 pm

It's no good saying "SOLVED" when all you've done is buy a new RPi.

Do you know what you did to destroy your original RPi? Before you do exactly the same thing with your new one.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Tom42

Re: Pi won't boot, OK light is solid green

Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:57 pm

The 'solved' is because the solution was to buy a new Pi. - thereby suggesting that the issue is with the Pi rather than the SD card or anything else suggested in this and other threads.

If this new one breaks in the same way, then we'll at least be able to isolate that it's got a higher probability that it was something to do with what I'm doing with it. If however this one doesn't break in the same way, then what should we assume from this? It's possible to infer that some accidental or unconscious action on my part caused the failure of the previous one - so we're still no further forward in that case since unless I monitor under lab conditions my every action with the new one in the hopes that I'll accidentally cause the same issue. It's impossible to even speculate what that might be since I've not yet come across anyone who has actually been able to offer an explanation as to what the green light problem is other than "The Pi isn't reading the SD card" - but since that's not great as a solution (how do I prevent the Pi not being able to read the SD card?) then we're still no further forward are we?

The problem was that the Pi wasn't reading the SD card. I plugged the old SD card into a new Pi and it booted instantly. Therefore the problem is with the Pi, therefore the solution is to replace the Pi. Does that make sense to you?

What you're asking is what caused the problem in the first place, and to that, I don't know - and from what I can tell, no-one knows yet.

I did nothing bad to the old one (and compared to many I've seen on YouTube videos being haphazardly strewn across workbenches and even (re)soldered and components removed/altered, then mine was treated very well!), unless you can see something in my original post that leads you to believe I did something bad? If you can I'd love to know since I obviously don't want to do it again and the information may well help other people having the same issue :) Since the Pi is supposed to be a kids learning device, then I can only assume it will have been tested to withstand a degree of mistreatment - I'm sure that anything my Pi endured would not have been even close to as bad any the 'average' Pi experience - and if I was able to 'destroy' as you put it, my Pi after plugging in componenets intended for use with the Pi, then that still suggests there is a problem with the Pi doesn't it?

As far as I can tell my previous one worked fine one day, then next time I switched it on (after making no changes or touching it at all) it had the green light issue.If it had happed while I was playing with the GPIO pins or something then I could at least speculate that that was the cause, but as I said, I'd not touched the Pi at all other than to plug stuff in (carefully I might add) and it did work fine until suddenly it didn't.

I've also read nothing to suggest that anyone else having this same issue (of which there seems a few) has 'destroyed' their Pi with some action either, there seems no common ground, and I've read no definitve answer on 'what caused it'.

Most people who reply tho topics with this issue (the solid green light) offer a range of 'user error' fixes, like properly formatting the SD card, etc. read up to see the usual suspects. And also often suggest it may be issues with peripherals or somethig like that. All these are great possible solutions to common issues, however they are totally useless here since none of them actually work - and I've read nothing on any post anywhere about anything 'fixing' the solid green light issue (though I admit I've probably not read everything!).

I also have done things like checked voltage across the board and followed many other guides and tutorials I found all over the place on diagnosing issues with the Pi - nothing at all provided any useful resolution other than "it wasn't that".

You can see that I have proved that at least in my case, the issue isn't with the SD card, formatting of the SD card, the distro used, the power used, the TFT screen used, the keyboard or the way that I assembled any of those things togehter - since I literally plugged the new PI into the old configuration and it works perfectly.

The solution to the 'green light' issue is to buy a new Pi apparently, unless you have another solution?

bwkrayb

Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:24 am

So I may have figured this out. And I may have watched it die at the same time. So I got a kit full of random things that came with the Pi B+. Came with a few heat sinks. Yeah I know, totally unnecessary, but they came with. So every once in a while it would turn itself off so I thought it was the power supply but kept using it. I had the top cover off because it looked cool too. As I was using it, it rebooted a few times, and then completely died with the solid Power and Act lights. After poking it a little bit, i realized that the heat sink had been just barely touching some part that is next to the processor, just enough to arc. I pushed it slightly closer and saw a really small spark and heard a buzz. It seems to me that these lights being on indicate that some part of it is fried. So...I broke a birthday present. :/

rpdom

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:22 pm

bwkrayb wrote:So...I broke a birthday present. :/
I'm really sorry for you loss :(

This just goes to show that not only are heatsinks pointless on the Pi, they can actually be harmful :o

geek_teach

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:24 pm

Burngate wrote:This seems to be a problem no-one else has had!

It would be interesting to see what happens with nothing but power plugged in - no keyboard or mouse or hub, no HDMI, no network, and most importantly, no SD card.
This doesn't seem to be true with the Pi2. I was having a lot of difficulty with both of my new devices and this comment put me in the mindset that perhaps the odds were just stacked against me - that I had 2 fail right out of the box. (Luckily I fought against the odds and tried one more thing.) Turns out with the Pi2, the green light will stay solid if only power is connected.

geek_teach

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:30 pm

One more thing for you to try: Download one of the non-Noob images and install that. On my Pi2, I was having the issue exactly as described. It didn't make sense to me that copying the Noob image files to a Win32 formatted SD should work, but I didn't have anything that would format the card to anything linux based, so I decided that the best work around would be to use the Raspian image - and that worked swimmingly - no need to return the device.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:24 pm

geek_teach wrote: It would be interesting to see what happens with nothing but power plugged in - no keyboard or mouse or hub, no HDMI, no network, and most importantly, no SD card.
Thats a completely nonsensical conclusion!

Whether (in such a case, with no card inserted) the ACT LED is OFF or ON depends ONLY on the version of the PI !
It always will ONLY depend on whether you have a B, or a B+.
All versions before the B+ will have an ACT LED that is off (or very dim), and all PI's since the B+ (and yes, that includes the 2B) will have ACT LED's that will be ON!

If your "conclusion" were true, all boards since the B+ would be declared "faulty".

The not even once in this thread mentioned, but very critical boot problems sticky, is very explicit on how to interpret the ACT LED.
The initial condition (the condition that continues when there is no SC-Card) DOES NOT MATTER!

What matters ONLY is whether the ACT LED indicates that it can read the card by changing that initial condition, so on all pre B+ the LED wil turn ON, and since the B+ the LED should turn OFF the moment is has read from the card. Not being able to read from the card thus means the LED does NOT change (i.e. BLINK!).

The boot problem sticky is here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 28&t=58151

P.S. the suggestion of tom32 that "if you cannot your PI to immediately boot, it is defective" is plainly false.
his anecdotical "evidence" is just that, anecdotical. The overwhelming majority solve their booting problem, as is evidence from the many posts about this subject. The chance that a PI isn't booting because the PI is defective is very small, (but not zero) the chance that people do something wrong, or use a wrong PSU, cable or card is much larger. Thats why a boot problem sticky is needed.
If it was just a question of turning it on, and it would work immediately, then such a sticky would not be needed, but to boot all the pitfalls that could prevent booting must be avoided. Its the "entry price" for using a PI, a PI is not a consumer product (fortunately).

Tom42

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:00 am

mahjongg, If you don't agree that's fine, but you can say so respectfully at least. I was simply trying to help by posting my experience, as were others who post on this.

I don't remember ever suggesting that if you can't get it to boot immediately it's defective, if you take the time to read my posts you'll see I tried everything I read about or could think of short of actually taking the thing apart or doing some sort of electrical engineering tests or something.

My second Pi is still going strong by the way, I can only assume that I did something to the original one that in the past few months of fiddling I've not managed to replicate on the new one - that in itself suggests to me a probably fault since I'm still using the second Pi in the same way as the first one. - no mohjongg don't fly into a neckbeard rage, it's a reasonable assumption and until it's proven otherwise it's still a valid option, even if you don't agree with it.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:21 pm

Tom42 wrote:mahjongg, If you don't agree that's fine, but you can say so respectfully at least. I was simply trying to help by posting my experience, as were others who post on this.

I don't remember ever suggesting that if you can't get it to boot immediately it's defective, if you take the time to read my posts you'll see I tried everything I read about or could think of short of actually taking the thing apart or doing some sort of electrical engineering tests or something.

My second Pi is still going strong by the way, I can only assume that I did something to the original one that in the past few months of fiddling I've not managed to replicate on the new one - that in itself suggests to me a probably fault since I'm still using the second Pi in the same way as the first one. - no mohjongg don't fly into a neckbeard rage, it's a reasonable assumption and until it's proven otherwise it's still a valid option, even if you don't agree with it.
That's fine, but using your single conclusion to announce to the world that your conclusion is universally true, that when you cannot get it to work you should therefore conclude its defective, without having read everything in the boot problem sticky, and saying that in your post, isn't okay.
It would have been okay, if you had said that you worked through the whole list of possible problems, and at the end concluded that it must be the PI, but even then that wouldn't be the only universal answer, there could still be something you overlooked, or simply assumed wrongly. Now people could take your advise after ten minutes of trying! And I know that now already the manufacturers get a large fraction of returns of PI's that are 100% okay, from people like that.
You provide everybody a disservice by having them return a 100% good PI, because they are too impatient to try to find out, and understand why it could be that their PI isn't generating a picture after they apply power.
And I'm not angry, just disappointed... :roll:

Burngate

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:42 pm

mahjongg wrote:
geek_teach wrote:
Burngate wrote: It would be interesting to see what happens with nothing but power plugged in - no keyboard or mouse or hub, no HDMI, no network, and most importantly, no SD card.
Thats a completely nonsensical conclusion!
Just for info, I've edited my original post.

Truth used to be an Eternal Absolute.
Now, in the Internet age, Truth is variable with a finite lifetime :(

eastonjanecek

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:18 pm

I have just encountered this same problem. 2 days ago everything was working fine and then yesterday morning I tried to boot it up and got nothing. ACT and PWR are both on. I've tried the same this listed here, multiple sd cards, images and reformattings. Nothing seems to be working, I can't help but assume something shorted out, but I cannot think as to when or why, I had nothing but a wifi dongle attached to it, logging in via SSH and RDC. I really don't want to get another one if this is a fixable issue, but nothing seems to be working.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:04 pm

eastonjanecek wrote:I have just encountered this same problem. 2 days ago everything was working fine and then yesterday morning I tried to boot it up and got nothing. ACT and PWR are both on. I've tried the same this listed here, multiple sd cards, images and reformattings. Nothing seems to be working, I can't help but assume something shorted out, but I cannot think as to when or why, I had nothing but a wifi dongle attached to it, logging in via SSH and RDC. I really don't want to get another one if this is a fixable issue, but nothing seems to be working.
sd-cards are by nature unreliable, and can "crap out" on you after extended use with many write cycles.
buy another sd-card. format it using the official formatting tool, using full format, and size adjust on.
download the latest NOOBS, and extract the zip file to the card.

read the boot problems sticky if you have any problems.

After that works, you can try to do the same with your old card, to see if it can be revived.

Return to “Troubleshooting”