1uke_

Selfhosting Searx - Need some help [More info inside]

Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:47 pm

Hello,

Background information - What I am trying to do

I am interested in running Searx (a self hosted meta search engine) on my raspbbery pi, to use internally on my home network.

I am using a raspberry pi 2b+

I have been following this guide - https://vitux.com/how-to-install-searx- ... on-ubuntu/

Everything seems to go really well untill I run the last command.

The system command line seems to hang and never gets back to the $ prompt.

How you can help

Could anyone tell me is it possible to run Searx on a raspberry pi?

Would anyone be able to try to follow through the guide linked above and tell me if they experience a similar problem?

I'm looking forward to solving this one and a massive thank you goes out to anyone who can help me.

thagrol

Re: Selfhosting Searx - Need some help [More info inside]

Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:09 pm

That looks to be the expected behaviour.

The image accompanying that command doesn't show it returning and the section of that article linked below comfirms this:
Searx will continue to work until you close the Terminal. There is a way to get around this. Press Ctrl+C so that the current session is stopped. Then run the following command in terminal:

$ nohup python searx/webapp.py &

By doing this, Searx will continue to run in the background even if you close the Terminal.
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

1uke_

Re: Selfhosting Searx - Need some help [More info inside]

Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:16 pm

That looks to be the expected behaviour.
When I try to access the IP address of the pi in my browser 192.x.x.x:8888

I am not seeing the Searx interface, so something isn't working quite right and I am not sure what as it does seem that all the other commands work.

Hoping someone might try this out and tell me where I am going wrong.

Thank you for your reply and help @thagrol I hadn't spotted the image that shows the terminal not returning back to $. At least I now know I am roughly on the right track!

Return to “Troubleshooting”