giorgis

Kodi not starting

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:20 pm

Hello,

I have a very strange issue with Kodi not being able to start on two raspberries. The situation is the same for both of them.

I have tried to debug it and I can see that it hangs forever in "tvservice -s"

The thing is that I can see my Desktop, background and everything else on my TV monitor but still "tvservice -s" does not print an output no matter how long I wait.

I have reinstalled "tvservice" by rebuilding it from GitHub repo but still no luck...the same thing still happens.

Reinsalling Kodi didn't help either.

The problem appeared after returning back to stock kernel from an "rpi-update" one as described here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... pdating.md

Any ideas what can I do to further investigate and solve this one? Forgot to say that I am still on Jessie

Best regards
There are only 10 types of people. Those who know binary and those who don't

giorgis

Re: Kodi not starting

Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:27 pm

Unfortunately the only solution found so far was to issue again an "rpi-update" and use one of the non stock kernels.

Once the kernel has been updated I can immediately start Kodi since the output from "tvservice -s" is fast with response:

state 0xa [HDMI DMT (39) RGB full 16:9], 1360x768 @ 60.00Hz, progressive

Any idea if I can get this with the stock raspbian kernel?

Rascas

Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:48 pm

Raspbian Jessie is ancient by now, two versions behind already, not many people still run it, I am not even sure if it still receives security updates. And the kernel in the rpi-update is certainly not tested in it anymore, so if you use it, expect breakage. I recommend that you upgrade your system to Buster.

giorgis

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:22 pm

I am planning to do so in the next few weeks but I am not at the moment ready to do it right now.

Return to “Troubleshooting”