etherwar

Please Help... Accidentally renamed a file in /lib/ Raspbian Buster

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:35 pm

I really thought it wouldn't be that hard to figure this out..

I have 4 files in my /lib/ directory (Raspbian Buster)... 3 of them seem to be symlinks

1. cpp
2. ld-linux.so.3
3. ld-linux-armhf.so.3
and one file that, while trying to exit a black video played via omxplayer, I accidentally seemed to have renamed:
4. klibc-fAGGTaZfOmYXUytsXgfSuL5MT48.so

I have many directories in /lib/ as well that seem unharmed.

I've tried many different things at this point, could someone please look in their /lib/ folder and tell me what the filename is supposed to be? :lol:

Thanks,
E

pfletch101

Re: Please Help... Accidentally renamed a file in /lib/ Raspbian Buster

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:36 am

Unless you have also been messing with my /lib folder :) , the strange name is correct. I have a file with precisely the same name. Why do you think that you renamed it?

HawaiianPi

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:44 am

You couldn't have renamed anything in /lib without using sudo (unless you were logged in as root, which is disabled by default in Raspbian).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

etherwar

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:21 pm

Lmao.

Thanks for the reassurance. I (probably stupidly) was running a file explorer in root mode as I am having to do a bunch of messing about as root as a process of installing OpenCV with gstreamer capabilities.

The reason I thought I renamed it is because I am creating a RPi that is a dedicated security feed viewing station/analysis console that can do things like count vehicles that can learn the vehicles that enter and leave on a daily basis and pop up alerts in various scenarios related to issues like that as well as within certain periods of time. I was experimenting with a black video feed placeholder, and ran omxplayer using the black video. At this point in time the black video went fullscreen and I was attempting to ctrl - c/ ctrl -d/ ctrl-x etc. when none of that worked, I dumbly started clicking and trying to figure out the keyboard controls. None of that worked, but when the video finally ended, /lib/ was open in the file explorer that was being run as root and that strange filename was selected. I assumed I had done that.

It's strange that I can't find any information about that file doing a google search, but oh well... I appreciate the help!

trejan

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:37 pm

etherwar wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:21 pm
It's strange that I can't find any information about that file doing a google search, but oh well... I appreciate the help!
It is because the filename contains a hash of the symbols + addresses so the hash value changes if you compile it on something else or use a different version of the klibc library. The hash is there for versioning.

etherwar

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:46 pm

trejan wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:37 pm
It is because the filename contains a hash of the symbols + addresses so the hash value changes if you compile it on something else or use a different version of the klibc library. The hash is there for versioning.
That makes complete sense. I appreciate the clarification. That must be why it doesn't show up in the linked files related to klibc, which I was browsing trying to figure this out before I just burned another clean image and put into another rpi4 and saw it was the same name.

Return to “Troubleshooting”