TheMaroonWalrus

Raspberry pi 4, 4GB won't boot with a 512 GB Micro SD card.

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:18 am

The Pi will boot on a 32 GB micro sd from microcenter. but this one https://www.amazon.com/Lexar-High-Perfo ... ics&sr=1-3 won't boot. I tried noobs and raspbian buster on it. noobs just had a red light, buster had a green light flashing, turned on the screen, but no splash nor anything, just turned it on. then said no signal then turned off. Please help!

W. H. Heydt

Re: Raspberry pi 4, 4GB won't boot with a 512 GB Micro SD card.

Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:12 am

Cards larger than 32GB have a default format of exFAT, which Pi bootloaders can't read. That's why NOOBS will have failed. More information is needed to determine why a direct install of Raspbian Buster failed. How did you go about writing the image to the card? Are you sure the card isn't a fake?

graphicw

Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:14 pm

I have not had problems using larger than 32 GB in a Raspberry Pi 4. I have managed with both 256 GB and 512 GB cards. I always format my cards properly before adding Noobs. In this case, I suspect a fake SD card has been purchased. If you look at the reviews on the purchase link, you will see a lot of very unhappy customers upon realizing their SD card was not as advertised when they actually attempted to use it. This is a common problem on both Amazon and E-bay (Flea-bay). I purchase SD cards locally or via reputable online sellers only. With Amazon, the trick is making sure that Amazon itself is selling you the card and not a third party seller. Good news is that Amazon will give you your money back.

timg236
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:46 pm

Was the green light flashing with a regular pattern or random activity ?

If it’s not a regular error pattern then I think the bootloader has run and start.elf has initialised HDMI. It’s hard to tell if Linux is running without a UART cable.
I often test with 256GB card and the only real problem is that resize fs takes ages.

If you have a usb SD card reader and another SD card then it might be worth booting with the small SD card and seeing what Linux makes of the 512GB card e.g gparted to look at the partition table

graphicw

Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:23 pm

Use gparted to format card to Fat, place noobs. Noobs will actually partition the card with recovery, boot, extended and the whole nine yards all at the proper sizes. I have yet to have a failed install on any larger than 32 GB card. The Pi is indeed a well designed kit and the install software is great.

Return to “Troubleshooting”