z.gabor

Rasbperry Pi 3 B+ overheat problem

Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:24 pm

I have a RPi 3 Model B+. After connecting the raspberry to the power source, it immediately warms up. 1-2 minutes later the core temperature is above 100 °C. I'm using official RPi power adapter, and I have tried to format and reinstall OS.

What could cause the problem?

epoch1970

Re: Rasbperry Pi 3 B+ overheat problem

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:16 am

The usual reason would be a shortcut or an overload on the GPIO pins.
Did you connect anything to the GPIO?
Or did you install a heat sink? (These can cause a shortcut if you’re not careful)
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

z.gabor

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:49 am

I have used the GPIO ports to switch on transistors with a few milliAmps (~5 mA). There was also a heat sink installed (I have tried to remove it).

epoch1970

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:00 am

Mhh. I know next to nothing about hardware, but look on the forum for similar cases that have been explored and explained.

If the Pi, without SD, nothing connected to it except power, has the CPU shoot to burning hot temperature almost immediately, it is dead...
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Burngate

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:36 am

z.gabor wrote:
I have used the GPIO ports to switch on transistors with a few milliAmps (~5 mA).
What type of transistor, and how did you conect them?

For example, if they were bipolar NPN, and you connected the emitter to gnd and the base to the GPIO without a series resistor, a large current could flow, enough to damage the GPIO.

z.gabor

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:03 am

Burngate wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:36 am
z.gabor wrote:
I have used the GPIO ports to switch on transistors with a few milliAmps (~5 mA).
What type of transistor, and how did you conect them?

For example, if they were bipolar NPN, and you connected the emitter to gnd and the base to the GPIO without a series resistor, a large current could flow, enough to damage the GPIO.
I applied series resistor to set up the base current. The circuit was wroking properly with arduino. According to these I've made a mistake, when I connected the GPIO pins to the circuit, and they could get a large amount of current and maybe demaged.

Return to “Troubleshooting”