AidenCodes

How can I make blink1-tool connect to ifttt for a notification system?

Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:44 pm

I'm trying to make a blink(1) show colors when an IFTTT event occurs, but I need to use blink1-tool, how can I do this?

AidenCodes

Re: How can I make blink1-tool connect to ifttt for a notification system?

Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:43 am

Don't you think I've googled this? There isn't any IFTTT documentation I can see. If you can find something I missed, tell me.

PhatFil

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:20 am

sorry thought you were asking for where to get and install the tool which is in the above link along with links to using the gui and cli versions of the tool.

To use an IFTTT event or service you need a ifttt a/c and then when you select an event or service follow the online instructions to link your device and a/c.

AidenCodes

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:02 am

When I make an event it asks for a rule name and I don't appear to be able to create rules with blink1-tool :|

PhatFil

Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:13 pm

Not exactly simple is it? perhaps a diy solution based on hosting a mqtt broker and a $2 esp8266 with a rgb or neopixel led attached would be easier to build from scratch.
8.1. IFTTT
The IFTTT event source is the simplest and only has two fields: Rule Name and Pattern. (If
you have multiple blink(1)s, there is an optional third field of which blink(1) to use) The
Pattern is a list of the currently available color patterns, and is an option that is common to
most every Event Source.

The Rule Name is a text field and should match what you have configured in your IFTTT
recipe’s action.
When you create a new recipe on IFTTT and configure the recipe’s action, choose the blink(1)
channel and its single action “Send blink event”. This action has a single text field option
called “Rule name”. It is this field that must match the “Rule Name” in Blink1Control.
from section 8 in https://blink1.thingm.com/wp-content/up ... manual.pdf

looks like you use the blink1 tool to create an event which has a colour and Rulename, and then when in the ifttt recipe you use an existing rule name to link to your colour event or visa versa..?

AidenCodes

Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:26 pm

I'm using the blink1-tool command line program, not the gui :|

PhatFil

Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:12 pm

i agree a casual glance over the docs i found for the command line tool dont talk about the same event/recipe config?
perhaps more expert advice can be found in more specific forums/lists?
https://blink1.thingm.com/help/

AidenCodes

Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:37 pm

I Have found an answer, by using node-red and the exec block with a webhookrelay block now i just run a button connected to a webhook and it works!

Return to “Troubleshooting”