armyofme

[SOLVED] PI4 USB3 Port and Logitech Keyboard Wireless Range

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:13 pm

So I've been setting up my new PI4 and loving many of the features. Most things working well but not my Logitech wireless keyboard :cry:

I've used it with all versions of Pis over the years and no problems but now the range is really poor. The keyboard only operates if it's in very close proximity to the dongle receiver. After a lot of time troubleshooting and checking many things I have discovered the cause. Basically I have a usb3 hub plugged into the usb3 output on the Pi and when that's plugged in....the range is awful. If I unplug it or plug it into the USB2 port then the range is great as normal :?

Anyone any ideas what I can do? At the moment I have plugged the USB3 hub into the USB2 output. This seems as a shame as the USB hub has my external hard drive attached which is a USB3 device. I'm guessing with a setup like this I'm not making the most of the speed advantage of my hard drive? I'm guessing not too significantly though? Any ideas appreciated!
Last edited by armyofme on Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikronauts

Re: PI4 USB3 Port and Logitech Keyboard Wireless Range

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:31 pm

Why on earth would you waste a usb3 port on a keyboard dongle???

armyofme wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:13 pm
So I've been setting up my new PI4 and loving many of the features. Most things working well but not my Logitech wireless keyboard :cry:

I've used it with all versions of Pis over the years and no problems but now the range is really poor. The keyboard only operates if it's in very close proximity to the dongle receiver. After a lot of time troubleshooting and checking many things I have discovered the cause. Basically I have a usb3 hub plugged into the usb3 output on the Pi and when that's plugged in....the range is awful. If I unplug it or plug it into the USB2 port then the range is great as normal :?

Anyone any ideas what I can do? At the moment I have plugged the USB3 hub into the USB2 output. This seems as a shame as the USB hub has my external hard drive attached which is a USB3 device. I'm guessing with a setup like this I'm not making the most of the speed advantage of my hard drive? I'm guessing not too significantly though? Any ideas appreciated!
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

Andyroo

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:36 pm

Is it by any chance a Bluetooth dongle?

The Mac mini range had some serious issues with their keyboards when USB 3 devices where used :o

There is no way you can type faster than USB2 so I would go with that :lol:
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

rpdom

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:50 pm

If I'm reading the OP correctly, the keyboard dongle (probably a "Unifying RF Receiver", being Logitech) is plugged in to a USB2 port, but has poor reception when a USB3 hub is plugged into a USB3 port at the same time.

I'd suggest trying moving the Logitech adaptor away from the Pi by using a USB2 extension lead.

Andyroo

Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:07 pm

A current problem Linux users have with Logitech, is that the latest unifying software is not available for Linux - only PC and Mac

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/commu ... h-Findings

Anyone using one on a mobile / public Pi could be hacked (remote chance maybe).
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

armyofme

Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:05 am

Thanks for the responses :) The unifying receiver is plugged into USB 2. I'll try the extension idea and see if that helps. I did wonder if power was an issue... But it's never been before with Pi 3 and stretch. USB hub has its own power supply and the issue occurs even with just one hdd attached.

armyofme

Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:35 am

Thanks rpdom, you are a genius! The usb lead fixed my problem! I now have the usb3 hub plugged into the usb3 socket on the Pi and my Logitech receiver plugged into a usb cable that goes into a usb2 port. Range is back to what it used to be! Must have been a interference problem rather than power then?

alphanumeric

Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:14 am

Andyroo wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:07 pm
A current problem Linux users have with Logitech, is that the latest unifying software is not available for Linux - only PC and Mac

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/commu ... h-Findings

Anyone using one on a mobile / public Pi could be hacked (remote chance maybe).
You don't need the Unifying software to actually use it on a Linux PC by the way. I don't even bother installing it in Windows. The Unifying receiver just shows up as a USB HID device. You only really need the Unifying software if you want to link or unlink a device from the dongle.

I've used mine plugged directly into the USB port on a Pi 2 and 3 with no issues. And in a USB 2 HUB I use with my Pi Zero's and model A's.

I do have 1 PC where I had the issue the OP described, and putting the dongle on the little extender that came with one of my keyboards fixed it. The USB ports on that PC were set back a bit and recessed into the back of the case. All the metal around the dongle messed with the signal I guess.

trejan

Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:50 am

armyofme wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:35 am
Thanks rpdom, you are a genius! The usb lead fixed my problem! I now have the usb3 hub plugged into the usb3 socket on the Pi and my Logitech receiver plugged into a usb cable that goes into a usb2 port. Range is back to what it used to be! Must have been a interference problem rather than power then?
USB 3.0 can cause interference with 2.4GHz devices such as your Logitech receiver. It is a widespread issue and not limited to the Pi.

armyofme

Re: [SOLVED] PI4 USB3 Port and Logitech Keyboard Wireless Range

Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:02 pm

Yeah I don't use the Logitech software either....it's always just worked for me with Raspberry Pi.

And thanks for the info trejan...I didn't know about that but makes sense :)

alphanumeric

Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:14 pm

The only thing I need the Logitech software for, is if I want to use the special "Blue" keys on my Logitech keyboard. The ones used with the "Blue" Fn key. All those ones above the F keys. I don't use them so I don't bother with the Logitech Keyboard software. That software includes the Unifying utility, but if you hunt around you can find just the Unifying software and avoid the bloat of the other software install.
I do like the Logitech, hardware, not all that fond of the bloated software they want you to install though. They aren't the only ones doing it so thats just the way it goes some times.

HawaiianPi

Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:29 am

There is a program called Solaar in the repos for Logitech Unifying devices. As others have said, it's not needed for normal operation, but it will let you pair and unpair devices and swap FN key functions, so it's handy to know about (sudo apt install solaar).
solaar.gif
solaar.gif (20.07 KiB) Viewed 197 times

Note that the Windows Unifying software will also let you update dongle and device firmware for better security (some of our older Unifying devices had firmware updates available).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

alphanumeric

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:30 am

Thanks for that. I've had some of my dongles for a long while. I'll have to check them latter on today for updates. :)

armyofme

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:38 am

Thanks also HawaiianPi. I didn't think about updates to the hardware or know about Solaar. Very useful info :)

Return to “Troubleshooting”