nparab

Problem Transferring File from Raspberry Pi 3B to Android Phone via Bluetooth

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:27 pm

Hi all,

I don't know much about Bluetooth networking. I'm trying to transfer files from my Raspberry Pi 3B (with a fresh install of Raspbian Buster) to my Android Phone (Redmi 4) using Bluetooth.

When I pair the two, I get this message 'Connection Failed - No usable services on this device'.

At first I thought I needed to install OBEX Push on the Pi, as suggested here (https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 1#p1485452). So I did this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ussp-push
But it still gave me the same error after un-pairing and re-pairing.

So, to diagnose the problem further, as suggested here (https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 83#p675983) I did the following:

hcitool scan
which gave me the Bluetooth hardware address for my Redmi 4. And using that I did:

sdptool browse xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
The results from the above command included this:

Service Name: OBEX Object Push
Service RecHandle: 0x1000d
Service Class ID List:
  "OBEX Object Push" (0x1105)
Protocol Descriptor List:
  "L2CAP" (0x0100)
  "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
    Channel: 7
  "OBEX" (0x0008)
Profile Descriptor List:
  "OBEX Object Push" (0x1105)
    Version: 0x0102

Browsing xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx ...
Service Search failed: Invalid argument
Does the 'Service Search failed: Invalid argument' line mean my Android phone doesn't support OBEX Push file transfer?

If I'm wrong and the phone DOES support OBEX Push file transfer, then why am I getting the error 'Connection Failed - No usable services on this device'?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Douglas6

Re: Problem Transferring File from Raspberry Pi 3B to Android Phone via Bluetooth

Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:09 pm

Are you trying to connect thru bluetoothctl? If so, ignore any errors. As long as the devices are paired, try the ussp-push command. It will make the connection.

nparab

Re: Problem Transferring File from Raspberry Pi 3B to Android Phone via Bluetooth

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:05 am

Douglas6 wrote: Are you trying to connect thru bluetoothctl? If so, ignore any errors. As long as the devices are paired, try the ussp-push command. It will make the connection.
Thanks v.much for your reply.

No... I was not trying to connect through the bluetoothctl command. I was trying through the Raspbian Desktop Bluetooth icon.

But I did try connecting through bluetoothctl also. Here's the output:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ bluetoothctl
Agent registered
[bluetooth]# paired-devices
Device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx Redmi
[bluetooth]# connect xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Attempting to connect to xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Failed to connect: org.bluez.Error.Failed
[bluetooth]# 
I also tried the ussp-push command. It just shows the following text without doing anything:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ussp-push xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx@7 /home/pi/Screenshot.png Screenshot.png
name=/home/pi/Screenshot.png, size=1391052
I have to kill the process using Ctrl^C.

Return to “Troubleshooting”