Fugit184

Buster updates started to fail at 22th August

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:32 pm

Hi,

I have intstalled buster to couple of systems last weeks and everything worked, but today I got following error message after giving this command
sudo apt-get update

E: Release file for http://raspbian.mirror.vu.lt/raspbian/r ... /InRelease is not valid yet (invalid for another 43d 9h 16min 51s). Updates for this repository will not be applied.
E: Release file for http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbia ... /InRelease is not valid yet (invalid for another 43d 9h 16min 50s). Updates for this repository will not be applied.

I googlet it and found several postings from July this year , I tried everything what they said it worked, but nothing worked. Also I wonder why my previous buster installation two weeks ago were ok?

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Buster updates started to fail at 22th August

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:24 pm

What's the output if you run this?

Code: Select all

date; sudo apt update
I suspect the time is not set properly on your system, perhaps a firewall is blocking NTP.

liderbug

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:01 pm

~# apt update
Get:1 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster InRelease [15.0 kB]
Hit:2 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian buster InRelease
Fetched 15.0 kB in 1s (12.1 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
19 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
---------------
# apt list --upgradable
Listing... Done
libvlc-bin/testing 3.0.8-0+deb10u1+rpt1 armhf [upgradable from: 3.0.8-0+deb10u1]
libvlc-dev/test
<and 17 more>
-------------------
ran upgrade - then update and "All packages are up to date."

However I've been expecting some updates - getting none.

IrishTwins2

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:46 pm

Hi,
Hope I am not hi-jacking this thread but I am experiencing the same problem with my Pi4 and Buster updates!

Previously posted relating this to incorrect date and time, as I could not set correct date and time. Then checked the message after running 'get update' and noticed that the day/dates that updates are said to be availabe co-incides with the correct date that the pi should be displaying!?!?!

Hope this makes sense.

What is the date and time displayed in the upper right corner of your display?

catterwaul

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:20 pm

so this "not valid yet" kind of error happened here.
IIRC
it happened on 1st-run of new SD card,
I was prompted for wifi choice & passwd, it connected that 1st boot

sudo apt-get update then threw aforementioned error.
it cleared after some setup/config, preferences, hostname change, reboot

liderbug

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:42 pm

So, are there any "updates" for Buster? If I run "sudo apt-get update" it seems to run saying I'm up to date. I just ran apt list --upgradable and was told there are 5 packages to upgrade.. Are there updates (grades) to Buster? Is it broken? Or is "apt-get update" out and now we run "apt upgrade"?
Last edited by liderbug on Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:44 pm

liderbug wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:42 pm
So, are there any "updates" for Buster? If I run "sudo apt-get update" it seems to run saying I'm up to date. I just ran apt list --upgradable and was told there are 5 packages to upgrade.. Are there updates (grades) to Buster? Is it broken?

I fully updated my Raspbian Buster install today as part of my weekly routine and several updates:

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo reboot
Retired disgracefully.....

liderbug

Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:58 am

OK, so what happened to 'apt-get update'? Someone decided it wasn't broke, so...
I would expect "update" to update any files/programs that have minor upgrades and changes
I would expect "upgrade" to take me from stretch to buster - major upgrades and changes, new features

fruitoftheloom

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:32 am

liderbug wrote:
OK, so what happened to 'apt-get update'? Someone decided it wasn't broke, so...
I would expect "update" to update any files/programs that have minor upgrades and changes
I would expect "upgrade" to take me from stretch to buster - major upgrades and changes, new features

One can use apt or apt-get, neither by themselves move from one release to another, the Sources undertake that function:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xen ... apt.8.html

https://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/buster ... -raspbian/
Retired disgracefully.....

ejolson

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:45 am

liderbug wrote:
It's strange how expectations are often wrong when it comes to interpreting what a command does without reading the documentation.

Last month I was installing Linux on a PC in which the battery that maintained the clock had run down. It took me a day to figure out why the cryptographic signatures on the packages weren't being accepted by the installer. It's even stranger how error messages often give no clue what's wrong or how to fix it.

davidcoton

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:27 pm

liderbug wrote:
For whatever reason, your expectations are incorrect. Probably caused by poorly named commands.
"apt" and "apt-get" are almost identical, except "apt" is optimised for interactive use and may ask questions (eg about changes in release status) where "apt-get" simply fails.
"update" only updates the package list, it does not change any actual programs.
"upgrade" does update the programs.
"dist-upgrade" will also do its best to update dependencies. It will not change the actual distribution base (eg. Stretch to Buster).
"full-upgrade" is a renamed "dist-upgrade". The new name better reflects the function.

In most cases the "best" incantation is:

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
Signature retired

Return to “Troubleshooting”