LordGrayHam

eth0 has stopped working, ethernet LEDs strange activity

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:59 am

Hey guys, bit of a strange one.

I'm trying to set up a Pi as an rtsp streaming kiosk to view a security cam. I've done it before with displaycameras on other Pis with no issue, but this Pi is giving me trouble.
It works for a day or two with no problems, I do plenty of testing with reboots, disconnects etc. to simulate any potential trouble when I deploy it for real-world use, as it needs to be reliable and not require any fiddling.

I let it run overnight with no internet just to simulate the network going down. Plugged it back in, rebooted the Pi, no network connection. I check ifconfig and on eth0, there is no IP address, only "ether" followed by a MAC address, etc.
In dhcpcd.conf I tried to force a static IP, gateway etc and still nothing. When I check the dhcpcd logs, it tries to solicitate an IPv6 connection, loses the carrier, and acquires it again, all in a loop.
What I find very suspicious is the LEDs on the ethernet port. It's a RPi 3B+, so I know that one light is for "gigabit", one is for 10/100, but BOTH lights blink on and off about every second, with the green giving 3 little flashes every time. I can't ping the router from the Pi, i can't even ping the Pi's own IP address.

I had this issue before, so I reflashed the card with Raspbian again, and it was working, but now after a day we're back to this craic again. Any help would really be appreciated as it's very puzzling and frustrating. And yes, the network is fine, I'm running this testing on an isolated network, just the Pi, a router, and the camera I want to view. The cables are tested and known to be good. If you want any more info please let me know!

pcmanbob

Re: eth0 has stopped working, ethernet LEDs strange activity

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:48 pm

When trying to solve problems like this I always like to start with a spare SD card , load it with raspbian the lite version will do , make no changes what so ever and then do the same tests on that as you have been doing .

it should as least allow you to decide if its the pi/ other hardware / cables or the OS you were running for the camera set-up.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

LordGrayHam

Re: eth0 has stopped working, ethernet LEDs strange activity

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:19 pm

Cheers Bob,
Will root out another SD card and retry. Will report back and get some logs after some testing. Thanks :D

Return to “Troubleshooting”