tredeuce

Web server not working externally

Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:05 pm

Hi folks,

I have set up my Pi with a LAMP configuration, and on top of it I have installed wordpress. The website works great locally but I am having issues getting it to appear externally. I have forwarded port 80 and using port checking tools everything appears to be okay. I am using no-ip to run a ddns service. When I go to the url that has been set up with no-ip, nothing shows up. After reading the walkthroughs on a number of steps it looks like this part should be easy so I feel like I am missing something simple. Are there any other tools to help me pinpoint the issue, or any other suggestions?

I am not very experienced on the networking side of things, so forgive me ignorance.I appreciate any guidance you give.

topguy

Re: Web server not working externally

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:04 am

Doublecheck yout external IP and ddns..

Use "nslookup" on the pi to see what ip the dns return.

Code: Select all

pi@pione:~$ nslookup
> www.raspberrypi.org
Server:         127.0.1.1
Address:        127.0.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   www.raspberrypi.org
Address: 104.22.1.43
Name:   www.raspberrypi.org
Address: 104.22.0.43
Have you set a static IP on your Pi ? if not double check that against port-forwarding settings in router.

When you say " nothing shows up" does it show an error in the end or is it literally a blank page ?

neilgl

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:11 am

Did you install Wordpress using the (new) domain name or using the pi's ip address?
Last edited by neilgl on Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klricks

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:35 pm

tredeuce wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:05 pm
Hi folks,

I have set up my Pi with a LAMP configuration, and on top of it I have installed wordpress. The website works great locally but I am having issues getting it to appear externally. I have forwarded port 80 and using port checking tools everything appears to be okay. I am using no-ip to run a ddns service. When I go to the url that has been set up with no-ip, nothing shows up. After reading the walkthroughs on a number of steps it looks like this part should be easy so I feel like I am missing something simple. Are there any other tools to help me pinpoint the issue, or any other suggestions?

I am not very experienced on the networking side of things, so forgive me ignorance.I appreciate any guidance you give.
Have you actually tried to connect from a external network such as a phone using data (not WIFI)?
Many routers do not allow external connections when initiated from within their own local network.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “Troubleshooting”