tester2019

Slow Ethernet Speed with RP 3

Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:23 am

Why is internet speed so slow to RaspberryPi?

I have RP connected directly to my modem with Ethernet cable. I have gigabyte speed internet. I already tried changing out Ethernet cables. Image

My desktop connected directly to the modem.

epoch1970

Re: Slow Ethernet Speed with RP 3

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:06 pm

On Pi 3 max theoretical speed is 100mbps. Not 1000.
On Pi 3 networking is done through the unique USB lane the machine shares with all ports. So if you are downloading to a USB key, the Pi constantly switches from downloading to saving, downloading ...
If you’re not using USB for anything else than networking you’re saving to the SD card. SD card speed will vary according to exact specifications but in general they are slower than thumb drives which are slower than HDDs.

Speedcli measures the speed of your internet provider. Not your local network.
It does so by uploading and downloading files. So it mixes network and storage speeds.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

rpdom

Re: Slow Ethernet Speed with RP 3

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:22 pm

tester2019 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:23 am
Why is internet speed so slow to RaspberryPi?
Is it? I don't have 1Gb internet, just (in theory) 100Mb down and 6Mb up. These are my results from speedtest on a Pi 4B with fully updated Raspbian Buster Lite.

Code: Select all

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from [redacted]
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by [redacted] [39.49 km]: 22.928 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 105.24 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 2.46 Mbit/s
Download is slightly faster than advertised, mostly because of the UK frequency difference.
Upload seems low, but it does vary. I've had up to 7Mb/s showing on that before now.

Return to “Troubleshooting”