IrishTwins2

Pi4's (2) not booting ...

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:24 pm

Hi, I am experiencing similar issues with RP4 - i hope I am not hijacking this thread - if so I can repost as a new thread.

I opened my two Pi4s today and having had some experience with Pi2, Pi3B and now with Pi4 I looked forward to the improved performance.

Since starting the setup process this morning, nearly 9 hours ago - I have yet to see the Pi4 boot up! Disappointed is and understatement, frustration is creeping in!

My setup is Pi4 installed in KKSB metal case. Official Raspberry Pi4 powersupply, official HDM cable. Samsung Evo 16gbx2 , Lexar 16gb and Sandisk 32gb sd cards. I have formatted, etched - reformated, etched over a dozen times using the different cards each time.

I use a Unitek Card reader, Sandisk and Lexar micro-sd card adaptor and MacBook Pro for downloading and etching sd cards. Preparation of SD cards always include an Overwrite format. However, in spite of all attempts, the only Pi response is a red and green light that flashes once at power up and then followed by single red flashes every 35-40 seconds with display fluctuating between blues and black screen when Pi Leds flash.

I have tried the suggested EEPROM flash without any change!

As a last resort I am going to try the card adaptor directly into the MacBook Pro SD card slot and will post results here.

pcmanbob

Re: pi 4 32GB sd card doesn't work.

Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:08 pm

IrishTwins2 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:24 pm
Hi, I am experiencing similar issues with RP4 - i hope I am not hijacking this thread - if so I can repost as a new thread.

I opened my two Pi4s today and having had some experience with Pi2, Pi3B and now with Pi4 I looked forward to the improved performance.

Since starting the setup process this morning, nearly 9 hours ago - I have yet to see the Pi4 boot up! Disappointed is and understatement, frustration is creeping in!

My setup is Pi4 installed in KKSB metal case. Official Raspberry Pi4 powersupply, official HDM cable. Samsung Evo 16gbx2 , Lexar 16gb and Sandisk 32gb sd cards. I have formatted, etched - reformated, etched over a dozen times using the different cards each time.

I use a Unitek Card reader, Sandisk and Lexar micro-sd card adaptor and MacBook Pro for downloading and etching sd cards. Preparation of SD cards always include an Overwrite format. However, in spite of all attempts, the only Pi response is a red and green light that flashes once at power up and then followed by single red flashes every 35-40 seconds with display fluctuating between blues and black screen when Pi Leds flash.

I have tried the suggested EEPROM flash without any change!

As a last resort I am going to try the card adaptor directly into the MacBook Pro SD card slot and will post results here.
Your issue may different , OP's pi4 will boot with 8gb sd card its just the 16gb SD card that wont boot.

if you boot you pi without an SD card what do the red and green LED's do ?

Have you down loaded the laterst raspbian image from the web site as the pi4 requires the latest buster image.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

davidcoton

Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:24 pm

IrishTwins2 wrote: single red flashes every 35-40 seconds with display fluctuating between blues and black screen when Pi Leds flash.
That is different from the OP's problem.
The red LED should remain on constantly. Otherwise, there is either a power problem or a Pi fault.
Try a different PSU, if that doesn't help you may need to return your Pi under warranty.
You say you have the official supply -- what are the ratings marked on it, and the manufacturer's name?
Signature retired

IrishTwins2

Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:35 pm

The box has Raspberry Pi Official USB-C power supply.
Features 100-240v
DC5.1V 3A
1.5m 18AWG captive cable
USB-C output connector.

IrishTwins2

Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:45 pm

If I could post a pic I would. The power supply is built into a white three pin plug - on the side of which is Stamped Raspberry Pi and KSA-156-051300HK and the official Raspberry Pi stamp on the flat (top surface). I bought two power supples for the two Pi4s as one was intended as a gift for a relative.....

davidcoton

Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:49 pm

Okay, that should be good, but there's always a first time for a fault.
You mentioned two Pi4Bs. Have you tried both? And both PSUs?
As said above, have you downloaded the latest Raspbian?
Using Etcher to write the image, there is no need to format the SDCard first, as the previous format is overwritten by Etcher.
Let Etcher verify the written image. This will check that your cards and card reader are compatible.
Does the red LED stay on with no peripherals attached (keyboard, mouse, monitor, anything else)?
Does the red LED stay on with the SDCard removed?
(Note: power off before plugging and unplugging things, then reboot. USB should be hot-pluggable, but don't assume that while faultfinding.)
Signature retired

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Pi4's (2) not booting ...

Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:16 pm

Split off from https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=248968 (Different problem)
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

IrishTwins2

pi 4 32GB sd card doesn't work.

Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:41 pm

Thanks for the help!

You have indirectly solved the problem by asking for information on the powersupply! It forced me to get behind my tv cabinet and pull out the adapter and power supply (i am using a UK powersupply - with a travel adaptor)!
Anyway, after removing both psu and adaptor I noticed the powersupply pins were not as snug as they should be - so I trried another adaptor and the Pi4 powered up using the Lite version. Since I did not have a display attached, I left the pi running and etched another sd card with the Rasbian Buster.

After connecting display monitor and swapping sd cards - pi4 fired up straight away - :-) nice crisp quick, short boot up time!!
I am still unable to change time and date to access updates - my time and date are stuck on 9.45pm. 10 July! Repeated attempts with wired lan connection using rasp-config have failed!

I am not confident with editing config files but willing to have a go....unless there is a simpler fix.
Thanks again for the help.

[moderator split of from the wrong thread, and merged with this one]

pcmanbob

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:15 pm

If you pi is connected via a wired connection you should find it connects to the network automatically,

the time should then update during the boot process and show the correct utc time.

you can then run raspi-config to set you location time zone and wifi country.

Now you have a reliable power supply I would recommend Re-flashing your SD card , as it may be partly corrupt due to the faulty power supply and failed boots.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help

IrishTwins2

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:35 pm

I have a fresh installation as mentioned in the previous post.

Since I did not have a display attached, I left the pi running and etched another sd card with the Raspbian Buster.

Do you mean an overwrite format and re-image? I might just try another sd card, while I am at it.

davidcoton

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:41 pm

As I said above,
davidcoton wrote: Using Etcher to write the image, there is no need to format the SDCard first, as the previous format is overwritten by Etcher.
Signature retired

IrishTwins2

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:05 pm

I etched two cards; a 16gb and a 32gb Sandisk. Both boot up successfully - the 16gb went through a cycle and sd card had to be resized - and went to complete boot process. The 32 gb booted as well.
Both are unable to have dates or time changed - although the 16gb booted to accurate date and time setting then went back a month to July and time was about 5 hours behind even after repeatedly resetting time using sudo raspi-config.
Any suggestions?

pcmanbob

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:41 pm

IrishTwins2 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:05 pm

Both are unable to have dates or time changed - although the 16gb booted to accurate date and time setting then went back a month to July and time was about 5 hours behind even after repeatedly resetting time using sudo raspi-config.
if the time auto corrected to the correct time I don't see how it could jump back to july and 5hours behind

what do you get if you type date on the command line ?

IrishTwins2

Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:13 am

I get the following:

Wed 10 July 2019 08 : 47 : 59 AM AWST

It was the same date last night. Sat 17 July and today is Sunday 18 July 2019

pcmanbob

Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:21 am

Your SD card has not gone read only has it ?

in a terminal window do the following

Code: Select all

ls

touch test.txt

ls
[code]

check the file appears in the list of files then do a reboot  and then run the 
[code]
ls

and see if the test.txt file is still there.

what happens if you set the time / date at the command line

date --set="Sun Aug 18 13:00:00 UTC 2019"

IrishTwins2

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:21 pm

I am not familiar with code or programming but using terminal window I typed the 'ls'...touch test.txt etc just as you suggested and received the following.

ls: cannot access touch no such file or directory.

Not sure if i entered the information correctly though! :-( Sorry.

I need a whole lot of reading to familiarise myself with the keyboard when using terminal window.

IrishTwins2

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:36 pm

Re: Date setting from terminal window;

date: Cannot set date: Operation not permitted.

pcmanbob

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:42 pm

OK no problem bit more of a step by step this time..... don't worry we all had to start some were.

you need to type the " ls " then press the return key/enter key

that will list any files in the directory

then you type " touch test.txt " then press the return key/enter key

then type the " ls " then press the return key/enter key

to check the file test.txt has been created.

now reboot your pi.

and then again type the " ls " then press the return key/enter key

to see if they file test.txt is still there.

Sorry date error is my fault

sudo date --set="Sun Aug 18 13:00:00 UTC 2019"

DougieLawson

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:04 pm

IrishTwins2 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:36 pm
Re: Date setting from terminal window;

date: Cannot set date: Operation not permitted.
Setting the date needs sudo.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

IrishTwins2

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:24 pm

Yes. Thanks.

I tried sudo raspi-config.... repeatedly. Failed! Still etching sd cards 24 hours after starting with new pi4 kit .

pcmanbob

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:34 pm

You say you are re-flashing SD cards but are you using the same downloaded image.

I would suggest you download the raspbian buster lite image , and try flashing that to an SD card .

it will only boot to a command line but all we need to to prove it boots and sets the correct date.

once its booted and you are connected to a network I would suggest a wired connection as you should just connect automatically.

then log in at the command line

user = pi
password = raspberry

then just type date and press return / enter key and the current date should be displayed.

IrishTwins2

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:12 am

Sorry, I failed to mention that every time i etched a card I tried different OS.
- Raspbian Lite
-Raspbian with Desktop
-Raspbian Buster
-OSMC

Last night I tried LibreElec ....and it worked! Successful boot but still unable to change date and time settings! Even tried doing the change through KODI! Didn't work either.

Thanks for the patience and understanding!

IrishTwins2

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:14 am

Hi Dougie,

I am just finishing off at work and will be home back on the keyboard!

Thanks.

pcmanbob

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:35 am

IrishTwins2 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:12 am
Sorry, I failed to mention that every time i etched a card I tried different OS.
- Raspbian Lite
-Raspbian with Desktop
-Raspbian Buster
-OSMC

Last night I tried LibreElec ....and it worked! Successful boot but still unable to change date and time settings! Even tried doing the change through KODI! Didn't work either.

Thanks for the patience and understanding!
With all these different OS's have you actually proved you have an internet connection ? can you browse the internet.

what type of internet connection do you have ? broadband, cable ,3G

IrishTwins2

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:39 pm

Replaced microsd card, downloaded a 'fresh ' version of Buster and the Pi booted up without a hitch. The new card is a Sandisk 32gb Extreme - nice and quick! Boot screen loaded.

1) Ran the 'ls' command etc. and can report that the txt.file was added and it was there on the second run of 'ls' after reboot.

2) Ran the sudo date command - happy to report that the date was successfully changed to 'Wed 28 Aug 23:18:00 UTC' in the Command prompt screen but although the time did change - it changed to 07:27?!? It gets more confusing after reboot I get the command prompt showing the correct time and date after sudo command, but the line below that indicates Wed 29 Aug 07:27.

In spite of this I am a bit relieved that at least there was some change. I tried running supo apt-get update and updates were uploaded. Followed by sudo apt update upgrade -y . Running at 45% as I type this message!

Outcome: Time - still out of wack! displayed 07:39
Date - displayed as 29 August

Return to “Troubleshooting”