AlanM001

Pi 3 wireless problems

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:20 pm

all the wireless setup parameters are correct. I can assess the router via wire, access the internet etc, and have the Pi set up.

when I enter the network key it gives me "invalid argument".
right out of the box, the Pi3 will not connect to the wireless network.

possible wireless chip problem?

how do I check for this, or get the wireless to connect?

B.Goode

Re: Pi 3 wireless problems

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:13 pm

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.

What Operating System is running on your RPi board?

In what setting or context do you enter the network key?

Official Raspberry Pi documentation here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

AlanM001

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:07 pm

Raspberry noobs setup. Updated online after installation.

Setup the pi following the dropdown box in preferences (I believe it is) set keyboard, time zone etc.

The wireless icon shows on the top bar. If I click on it, it shows my network, and several others nearby.

I click connect, enter the wireless key, and fails with invalid argument. Tried numerous times with the same result.

Had to resort to my old wired network to get internet. It works fine.

I'm wondering if there is a problem with the pi wireless chip or software.
I know the wireless router is working, tablet, smartphone, 2 computers connected. With the same key.

B.Goode

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:19 pm

AlanM001 wrote:
Raspberry noobs setup. Updated online after installation.

Setup the pi following the dropdown box in preferences (I believe it is) set keyboard, time zone etc.

The wireless icon shows on the top bar. If I click on it, it shows my network, and several others nearby.

I click connect, enter the wireless key, and fails with invalid argument. Tried numerous times with the same result.

Had to resort to my old wired network to get internet. It works fine.

I know the wireless router is working, tablet, smartphone, 2 computers connected. With the same key.

NOOBS is an Installer, not an Operating System.

But let's assume you have used it to install the currently supported Raspbian Buster Operating System.

Do you get any different result if you attempt to configure the WiFi from the shell (command line) as documented by Raspberry Pi here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

My hunch, for what it is worth, is that this is not a WiFi hardware issue.

Possibly you have an 'unusual' character in your key which causes the software that processes it to fail unexpectedly? Or maybe your 'locale' or keyboard setup are unexpectedly generating such a character even though it appears to be legitimate?

Just for the sake of troubleshooting, not because it will fix the problem, what happens if you give a wrong but very trivial substitute for the real key, something like 'abc123'? [Clearly the target AP/ hotspot won't grant access - the point is to see what generates that error on the OS on your RPi.]

HawaiianPi

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:31 pm

AlanM001 wrote:
Unlikely, since you can see your network. It's more likely an issue with the localisation change and keyboard layout.

Which model Pi 3 (3B, 3B+, 3A+)?

What type of encryption is the router using (WPA, WPA2, WEP)?
Is the router configured for both 2.4 and 5 GHz networks (and are they using the same SSID)?

Personally, I usually add a pre-configured wpa_supplicant.conf file to the card with my wireless credentials, but I also don't use NOOBS (I use the Raspbian images written to the card with Etcher).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

AlanM001

Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:40 am

I tried a router key that I made up. Same result.

Tried the suggested instructions on command line setup. No luck.

It's a pi 3b.

Wireless router is a Hinton, supplied by the cable company. Its dual 5g and 2.4 g. Has been automatically selecting the proper band.

Seems to be working, as I'm using wireless on the tablet and computer.

HawaiianPi

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:55 am

AlanM001 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:40 am
It's a pi 3b.
3B is 2.4GHz only, so make sure your are using the SSID and passphrase of the 2.4GHz network. If 2.4 & 5 GHz are using the same SSID, try changing one of them to something different.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

AlanM001

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:13 am

took the unit to a spot with a very slow router, that I have access to, and it connected perfectly.
issue must be with the Hintron router. tried giving different ssd names to the 2.4, 5 MgHz connections. change one, it changed the other to the same one. Guest 2.4 account did not work.
sure doesn't like the home router. Sounds like a call into the ISP. maybe something t o do with their setup.

Return to “Troubleshooting”