mw0sec
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:31 pm

Using printer on windows machine.

Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:36 pm

I have a printer which is sadly not supported with any of the cups stuff, nor is there a linux driver for it. Given that my windows machine DOES have it's suitable driver, I was wondering if there is a sneaky way to share the windows printer such that it uses its own driver to do the actual printing?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20443
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Using printer on windows machine.

Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:59 pm

mw0sec wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:36 pm
I have a printer which is sadly not supported with any of the cups stuff, nor is there a linux driver for it. Given that my windows machine DOES have it's suitable driver, I was wondering if there is a sneaky way to share the windows printer such that it uses its own driver to do the actual printing?

Google Cloud Print ???

https://www.google.com/cloudprint
Retired disgracefully.....

mw0sec
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Using printer on windows machine.

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:48 pm

Yes, Google print is worth a look. Seems a bit of a sledge hammer/nut relationship, but probably less of a pain than sharing the file to print, given that the kit lives in different locations! Thanks for the suggestion.

bls
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Re: Using printer on windows machine.

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:57 pm

Worth asking...are you sure that there's no driver for it? Sometimes the Linux drivers aren't in a distro, but can be found on the net. Probably more true if it's a large printer manufacturer (HP, Epson, etc). Or maybe there's a supported driver for a printer that's "similar enough"?

mw0sec
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Using printer on windows machine.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:46 am

No, I've done an exhausting search and these seems to be nothing available for this O.S. For the odd occasion where necessary I can of course just copy the file and then print, but being a bit of a perfectionist it would be nice to do the job properly!

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20443
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Using printer on windows machine.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:01 am

mw0sec wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:46 am
No, I've done an exhausting search and these seems to be nothing available for this O.S. For the odd occasion where necessary I can of course just copy the file and then print, but being a bit of a perfectionist it would be nice to do the job properly!

Is the Printer Manufacturer / Model top secret ?
Retired disgracefully.....

mw0sec
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Using printer on windows machine.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:16 pm

No secret! It is a Dell 1320C colour laser jobbie. I did not bother to mention that, as some time ago I did post a request for knowledge of any drivers suitable for it using the mighty Raspberry. I did find one which works for another linux variant which I use on a PC (dual boot), but zilch that will work with the RP.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20443
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Using printer on windows machine.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:42 pm

mw0sec wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:16 pm
No secret! It is a Dell 1320C colour laser jobbie. I did not bother to mention that, as some time ago I did post a request for knowledge of any drivers suitable for it using the mighty Raspberry. I did find one which works for another linux variant which I use on a PC (dual boot), but zilch that will work with the RP.

It appears to be a "rebadged" Fuji Xerox DocuPrint C525A
Retired disgracefully.....

mw0sec
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Using printer on windows machine.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:44 pm

Agreed - but sadly that does not help.

bls
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Re: Using printer on windows machine.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:11 pm

I'm confused. Searching for "Fuji Xerox DocuPrint C525A Linux driver yields http://onlinesupport.fujixerox.com/proc ... rettyPhoto

Did you try this driver or find a reason that it wouldn't work?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20443
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Using printer on windows machine.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:20 pm

bls wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:11 pm
I'm confused. Searching for "Fuji Xerox DocuPrint C525A Linux driver yields http://onlinesupport.fujixerox.com/proc ... rettyPhoto

Did you try this driver or find a reason that it wouldn't work?

The available Linux Drivers are compiled for x86 CPU Architecture........
Retired disgracefully.....

bls
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Re: Using printer on windows machine.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:30 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:20 pm
bls wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:11 pm
I'm confused. Searching for "Fuji Xerox DocuPrint C525A Linux driver yields http://onlinesupport.fujixerox.com/proc ... rettyPhoto

Did you try this driver or find a reason that it wouldn't work?

The available Linux Drivers are compiled for x86 CPU Architecture........
Doh! I outed myself as a non-CUPS user on Raspbian :lol:

bls
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Re: Using printer on windows machine.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:51 pm

On a whim I downloaded the above-mentioned Fuji driver. Don't know if you looked at it, but it provides source! Of course, that may still not get you a working driver for your printer, but you never know...

grim1964
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:08 pm

Re: Using printer on windows machine.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:03 pm

I too have been trying to get this printer working using the Fuji driver. CUPS can see the printer on the network, so at least that's a good start!

Problem is that the driver is an rpm package for i386 architecture.
I gather that I need to use the alien command to convert this to a debian installation file, but I am having trouble doing this on a Raspberry Pi 4 (also I have zero experience of the process!).

I have run "sudo alien -g -d -v Fufi_Xerox-DocuPrint_C525_A_AP-1.0-1.i386.rpm --scripts" successfully (I added the --scripts parameter because running without it gave the message that scripts in the package had been skipped and suggested including it to convert them as well)

My understanding is that I then need to edit the debian/control file in the resulting directory to add the target architecture to the Architecture line (I ran "sudo nano debian/control" from within the directory and changed "Architecture: i386" to "Architecture: i386, armhf". Is this correct?).

I gather the next step is to run "sudo debian/rules binary", but this gives me error messages saying that the libraries "libcups.so.2" and "libc.so.6" cannot be found.

Searching for "libc.so.6" reveals that the file is present in /usr/lib with a shortcut in /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf (I don't know how to verify the shortcut points to the correct place). When I search for "libcups.so.2" I find two copies, in the same two directories, but both these appear to be the genuine file rather than one being a shortcut. I can't remember if both copies were originally there, or if I made one of them in an attempt to get things working.

Any help getting this working would be appreciated.

Thanks.

mw0sec
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Using printer on windows machine.

Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:41 am

I take my hat off, in that you have gone farther with this exercise than I have! I will follow the thread with interest.

mw0sec
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Using printer on windows machine.

Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:06 am

Adding a 'VNC' printer does this job - well most of the time. It does seem a bit variable though, for example on occasions I can print from Leaf, but not from Libre Office. Sadly there seems to be little documentation on how this works, but when it does work, the results are perfect.

Return to “Troubleshooting”