machine_74

Backing up 32 GB SD card on Windows 10

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:43 am

Pi Model or other hardware: (B, B+, 2 B, 3, X86 PC etc..) RaspberryPi 3 B+
Power Supply used: (If using a Pi) Included in kit
RetroPie Version Used (eg 3.6, 3.8.1, 4.1 - do not write latest): 4.4
Built From: (Pre made SD Image on RetroPie website, Berryboot, or on top of existing OS etc.. - please provide the filename of any image used) Preexisting, see link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CC ... UTF8&psc=1
USB Devices connected: Included SNES type gamepad, N64 stick
Error messages received: Not enough disk space
Emulator: (Name of emulator - if applicable) Mupen64Plus

Hey guys, I purchased my pre-configured kit here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CC ... UTF8&psc=1
It came with NOOBS and RetroPie preloaded, and I got it all up and running pretty quickly. When I went to copy my ROMs--about 10 GB worth--I got a message about there not being enough space. Closer examination yielded that there was 8 GB for ROMs on the card in that partition.

I'm now trying to back up the card with WIn32DIsk Imager and when I connect it to my laptop, with a USB micro card reader it doesn't display the drive with the ROMs, just a series of paired drives, one readable and one not.

I would like to:
1. Back up the card just in case, as well as for replication onto another 32 GB card
2. Try to expand the partition where the ROMs are--but it's not displayed in Windows.

If anyone has any suggestions, as well as their program of choice to backup their cards, I'd very much appreciate it.
Attachments
drives.PNG
drives.PNG (18.31 KiB) Viewed 361 times

TideMan

Re: Backing up 32 GB SD card on Windows 10

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:39 am

IMHO, it's better to back it up onto an SD card using Accessories/SD Card Copier.
Then , if the SD card fails, you just slip in the backup card and you're away again.

Having said that, I do a nightly backup of programs and data to Win 10 using WinSCP
If you wish in this world to advance, your merits you're bound to enhance.
You must stir it and stump it and blow your own trumpet, or trust me you haven't a chance.
Ruddigore, G&S

machine_74

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:36 pm

Thanks, I think the main problem is that the card is working great but when I plug it into the card reader I get the behavior in the image I posted. I would expect to see one drive but it's seeing multiples, half aren't readable and I don't see a ROMs folder for instance on the partition I need to increase the size of.

machine_74

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:39 pm

Ah so the SD card copier is in Raspbian. I can try that.

I got mine preformatted with NOOBS and it left only a certain amount of space for RetroPie. Any way you can increase that partition if using Windows is out?

machine_74

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:42 pm

Found this: http://dracoy.com/2016/06/26/expanding- ... installed/

So I think I'm going to get a spare 32 GB card, back mine up, and try the info in the link.

DarrenHill

Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:02 pm

If you back up the partition that's readable, it should actually back up the whole card.

That said, you'll end up with a 32GB backup file (as it backs up everything, even empty space) although you can compress that.

One caveat is that not all 32GB cards are exactly 32GB, so in the worst case if you have to restore the back-up onto another card (or just make a clone) you can occasionally find that the backup is too large to write back to the card if the new one is marginally smaller than the original.

For partition resizing, normally I'd use the Pi running something like Raspbian (on another card) and then put the original one in a USB uSD card reader and work on it using gparted under Raspbian.

jerrm

Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:14 pm

DarrenHill wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:02 pm
One caveat is that not all 32GB cards are exactly 32GB, so in the worst case if you have to restore the back-up onto another card (or just make a clone) you can occasionally find that the backup is too large to write back to the card if the new one is marginally smaller than the original.
Yeah, I've always thought the default resize should be more like 95% of drive size to avoid those issues. Even 99% would probably be enough to avoid problems. Percentages are EASY to do in parted.

Personally I disable the auto-resize on new images and manually resize at 90%.

itsmedoofer

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:53 pm

Hi,

Here are a couple of little tools that will resize an image for you, these have the benefit of a) smaller backup sizes b) you can restore your image in different size cards (used space dependent)..

This will shrink a pre-made image:-

https://github.com/Drewsif/PiShrink

This will create an image from an SD card and then shrink it:-

https://github.com/qrti/shrink

machine_74

Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:21 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Something interesting happened when I did this through the Raspbian OS. I backed up the card and when I put the newly copied card in my system, the OS booted up fine. What it didn't copy over however was RetroPie as it doesn't have my ROMs or the program. I've confirmed this by SSHing into it, and when I booted it up into RetroPie from the main menu, nada.

I'm going to try the Win32DiskImager tonight and try to get a good copy of my system before I tweak it. Ever seen anything like this?

Return to “Troubleshooting”