crab

Raspberry Pi Zero W Headless: WiFi connection successfull but not accessible from WLAN

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:55 pm

Hi,
I have a Raspberry Pi Zero W in a headless setup. I'm using the Raspbian Buster Lite ( Version: July 2019, Kernel version: 4.19 ) image and working on Ubuntu 16.04

The raspberry connects to my WLAN ( see screenshot taken from router config page)
raspberry_troubleshooting.png
raspberry_troubleshooting.png (28.62 KiB) Viewed 288 times

The problem is that I can't connect through SSH or do a successful PING. Of course I added the ssh empty file to the /boot/ partition with

Code: Select all

touch /boot/ssh
When I try to PING:
ping.png
ping.png (22.17 KiB) Viewed 288 times
When I try to SSH:

Code: Select all

ssh pi@192.168.1.5                                                                                                                                                                                         1 ↵
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.5 port 22: No route to host
Although this indicates that there is no ssh file I can ensure that it was there before booting up the PI.

What I have done to try to solve the problem:
- Try different SD cards
- Rebooted the PI to see if the ssh and the wpa_supplicant.conf files are deleted after boot.
- Re-created the Raspbian image on the SD card

I've searched through internet without results....

Ernst

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero W Headless: WiFi connection successfull but not accessible from WLAN

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:29 pm

Most likely that you must disable client separation on your access point. https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/ ... -isolation
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

BeauSlim

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero W Headless: WiFi connection successfull but not accessible from WLAN

Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:08 pm

I also had trouble with headless wifi config with Buster on the Zero W. I gave up and plugged a fresh install into a monitor and configured wifi manually with raspi-config.

It occurred to me after that maybe the country code needs to be specified in Buster even on non-3B+ Pis. Worth a try.

Andyroo

Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:18 pm

Country code HAS to be specified in wpa_supplicant.conf for WiFi to work in Stretch / Buster and the 5Ghz is disabled till:
On-board 5GHz WiFi blocked by rfkill by default
The block is removed when taking one of the following actions:
- Selecting a locale in the first run wizard
- Setting the WiFi country in the Raspberry Pi Configuration tool or the Network Settings applet
- Setting the WiFi country in raspi-config
- Providing a wpa_supplicant.conf file through the boot partition
- Running 'rfkill unblock wifi'
Quoted from http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... _notes.txt

In this case though, the OP has an IP address so connecting and DHCP seems to be working.

It could be a wrong router entry in dhcpcd.conf?

Return to “Troubleshooting”