jenordgaard

8g SD Card not enough space for NOOBS install

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:13 am

Hello,

New to this forum, first Pi project.

I'm using a RP Zero W with an 8g MicroSD card.

I've run through the entire setup as prescribed on the official site. NOOBS is launching on the monitor, however, when it gets to the part where I have to install Rasperian, it says there is not enough disk space.

It looks like 8g should be enough, according to most ever account and the official site. I'm not sure why this size issue is happening.

The sd card was formatted to FAT32, and I used the most recent NOOBS download from 7/10/19.

Anyone have any ideas whats going on? I would appreciate any help. I took a picture below of the error message.
Attachments
IMG-0612_opt.jpg
IMG-0612_opt.jpg (20.99 KiB) Viewed 775 times

fruitoftheloom

Re: 8g SD Card not enough space for NOOBS install

Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:38 am

jenordgaard wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:13 am
Hello,

New to this forum, first Pi project.

I'm using a RP Zero W with an 8g MicroSD card.

I've run through the entire setup as prescribed on the official site. NOOBS is launching on the monitor, however, when it gets to the part where I have to install Rasperian, it says there is not enough disk space.

It looks like 8g should be enough, according to most ever account and the official site. I'm not sure why this size issue is happening.

The sd card was formatted to FAT32, and I used the most recent NOOBS download from 7/10/19.

Anyone have any ideas whats going on? I would appreciate any help. I took a picture below of the error message.

Fake SD Card ??

Though why use NoobS it is just a waste of 1GB space for no sensible reason ??

Use Etcher to create a Bootable SD Card from the standalone Raspbian Buster download !!
Retired disgracefully.....

procount

Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:52 am

The latest full version of Raspbian needs a minimum SD card size of 8GB (EDIT: more like 16GB now) to run properly.
If you install the FULL version of NOOBS, this includes compressed installation files for Full Raspbian that takes up about 2GB on its own. Leaving only 5-6GB left of free space to install Raspbian into, which as you are finding is not sufficient.
You have several options:
1) Get a bigger SD card (16GB or bigger)
2) Install NOOBS-Lite instead of NOOBS. This is the same version of NOOBS without the additional installation files for Raspbian. So in this case you would have to connect your RPi to the internet via wifi or ethernet to install Raspbian to your SD card from the internet. You have a Zero W, so you should be able to connect it up to a wifi router if you have one. This will also give you a wider choice of operating systems to install. This avoids "wasting" 2GB of your SD card for the Raspbian installation files that many people complain about, forgetting that this does not apply to NOOBS-lite.
3) You could replace the full version of Raspbian in NOOBS with the standard (cut-down) version, but this is more for advanced users.
4) The main benefits of NOOBS are to install multiple operating systems on the same SD card, or to quickly restore an OS if you need to start again from scratch without internet or another PC available. With such a small SD card, these use cases do not really apply well to you, so you may as well ditch NOOBS and flash Raspbian directly to your SD card using Etcher, as Fruit suggested above.
5) If/when you outgrow NOOBS and get a bigger SD card, try using PINN-lite, which will allow you to install from a much wider selection of operating systems :)
Last edited by procount on Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

LTolledo

Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:33 pm

all my Raspbian are now installed via Etcher (stopped using NOOBS for the last 18 months...and counting)

The Raspbian Stretch Lite on my RPi2BNAS is installed on an 8GB microSD card, and occupies 88% of the usable space in the microSD card.
aside from Stretch, samba, and ntfs-3g are the only other packages installed, nothing else.

For Raspbian Stretch Full desktop (yep still using Stretch here), installed via Etcher, the minimum required space is about 13GB, so the next available is 16GB.

For your RPiZW, its better to install the Lite version of the latest Raspbian Buster, flashed via Etcher...
Installing full version of Raspbian Buster on an 8GB microSD card is asking for trouble (I think) :mrgreen:

Installing full version of Raspbian Buster on 16GB microSD card for use in RPiZW is doable... but comes with few frustrations here and there.... but if your patience meter is very long... you'll manage somehow....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

procount

Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:46 pm

Hmm. My minimum required statement might be a bit out of date, so I edited it to 16GB.
(I normally use 16/32GB cards these days)
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Return to “Troubleshooting”