cormack

Pi 3B - no HDMI output after latest apt-get kernel upgrade

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:18 pm

I have a Pi 3B running Stretch. This Pi is my Kodi system. It runs the legacy video drivers (not GL or "Fake GL"). This system has been running perfectly for a year, driving my 1080p HDMI flatscreen beautifully.

Yesterday, I performed a "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade", and among the packages it offered to upgrade were these:
libraspberrypi-bin
libraspberrypi-dev
libraspberrypi-doc
libraspberrypi0
raspberrypi-bootloader
raspberrypi-kernel

I applied these updates, which took the kernel from version 4.19.42-v7+ to version 4.19.57-v7+, according to `uname -a`.

Upon reboot, my HDMI screen remained blank. I never even saw the rainbow screen. Waiting sufficiently long enough, I was, however, able to SSH and VNC into the Pi. I just couldn't get anything to show up on the HDMI display. Glancing at dmesg, I saw no indication of problems.

My /boot/config.txt contains the following display-relevant settings:
disable_overscan=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=82
hdmi_drive=2
config_hdmi_boost=4
gpu_mem=320

The above settings have worked flawlessly under the prior kernel.

I keep a regular, nightly full "rsync" backup of my system, so I restored from the previous night's backup, and rebooted. Everything works as it previously had. I have since used "sudo apt-mark hold <package-name>" to mark the above listed packages, such that my system won't try to update them, until I can learn more.

Does anyone have any idea what might have changed in the new kernel that would render my HDMI display inoperable, given my current configuration? Again, upgrading the kernel breaks my HDMI, while the previous kernel works fine.

Thanks for any insights.
Last edited by cormack on Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pdcali

Re: Pi 3B - no HDMI output after latest apt-get kernel upgrade

Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:36 pm

I have no idea if this will help, but I was facing an issue with a new RPI 4. Seemed to boot OK. I could ssh into it, but all I got was a blinking cursor after the boot splash screen. After a LOT of fiddling around with HDMI settings in config.txt, the issue turned out to be that the root partition was full. This was kind of odd since I just installed it with the recommended defaults...but hey, it worked. I removed the Wolfram package and freed up enough space for everything to work.

cormack

Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:19 pm

No problem, with filesystem space. The system boots to a 120GB SSD. ;)

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 118G 12G 102G 11% /
devtmpfs 338M 0 338M 0% /dev
tmpfs 343M 0 343M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 343M 15M 329M 5% /run
tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 343M 0 343M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sdb1 3.6T 1.2T 2.3T 35% /MEDIA
/dev/sda1 44M 23M 21M 52% /boot
tmpfs 69M 8.0K 69M 1% /run/user/1000

Johnny-bb

Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:19 pm

Hi,
i have the same problem with the same kernel update on my Pi 3B .
No HDMI output anymore
if there is someone how knows or have a fix pls tell me.

cormack

Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:45 pm

I just did a bare-metal Buster install on a Pi 3B+ that I had on hand, and it is now running the very same updated 4.18.57-v7+ kernel, and the exact same display parameters in /boot/config.txt, as I have on my problematic 3B. The HDMI is running fine on the 3B+ with Buster, in this configuration. So, I'm not sure if it's a 3B vs. 3B+ issue, or a "Stretch + new kernel" issue.

As Buster still lacks a lot of packages that were available on Stretch, and (especially) as Kodi is still at version 17.x on Buster (it's 18.x on Stretch), I'll be waiting on Buster to get fleshed out and stabilize a bit, before migrating to it. So... In the meantime, I'm staying with Stretch, and staying with the older 4.19.42-v7+ kernel on my 3B, for the time being.

Thoughts, anyone?

sheyman

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:30 pm

I have a similar problem on the 3B+. I am also running on an SSD. Interestingly, installing the same updates to an SD card works fine. I suspect that it has something to do with booting from SSD/USB.

I played around with the config.txt settings to no avail.

marcofranssen

Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:28 pm

I'm currently on Raspbian Buster and face issues to get Kodi working.

Where I previously upgraded from jessie to stretch, now kodi stopped working. Therefore I did a fresh install of Raspbian Buster Lite as I only need terminal and kodi and some other stuff to run there.

However I just can't get Kodi to start.

See below stackexchange questions I filed for details.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... -gui-error
https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... play-error

If there is anyone out there with some ideas I might try, please let me know. If I'm able to fix it I can also share with the community over here, but at the moment I'm out of ideas to try to make this work.

cormack

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:15 pm

Rather than hijacking a thread about a kernel update on Stretch, wouldn't you be better served posting a "kodi on Buster" thread?

This thread is not about kodi. It's not even about Buster.

Just a thought.

rm_mendez

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:14 pm

I have a similar problem on the Raspberry Pi 3B+ and also boot from an SSD trough USB.

Tried several suggestions and can't get it to work. As I have access by SSH and VNC I'm not locked out, but have no monitor.

Any help or news is welcome, I'm too new with this.

Thank you.

semsar

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:35 pm

I confirm updating my Pi3B to firmware today to version 4.19.57-v7+ broke my HDMI output (blank screen). I am also using SSD (with the Pi-Desktop). SSH work fine, the Pi-Desktop power button works fine, but the screen is blank.

If you need HDMI output, do not update your Pi until this is fixed.
If you're reading this it's probably too late :( but see update below...
Last edited by semsar on Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

semsar

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:55 pm

Update: I found a quick, temporary fix that worked for me. Revert the firmware back to version 4.19.42-v7+

Code: Select all

sudo rpi-update 18ef6736e42023ea4e411d36a60d3eed18fdcccf

cormack

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:02 pm

If it helps anyone able to troubleshoot this, here's another little tidbit to add.

Ordinarily, my VNC sessions have always followed the resolution of my HDMI display (1920x1080.) However, when booting under the new kernel (with the HDMI display dark), I found it necessary to add the following lines to my /boot/config.txt in order to get my VNC sessions looking normal:

framebuffer_width=1920
framebuffer_height=1080

Once these were added, and the system rebooted, at least my VNC sessions looked normal, despite no output on the HDMI display. Without those settings, my VNC sessions were defaulting to what was likely a 640x480 resolution.

Under the working kernel, I've never found these lines necessary.

cormack

Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:45 pm

I see that kernel 4.19.58 had just been made available via apt-get, so I've just tried that version. The problem persists with that kernel, as well. So again, I've reverted back to the older (working) kernel.

HawaiianPi

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:09 pm

This seems to be a problem with the upgrade process on USB booted systems, and not necessarily with the upgraded packages themselves.

Definitely a problem for USB booted systems only. I just tried it with a 16GB micro SD card and had no trouble after the update/upgrade. I was then able to clone the SD card to my USB-SSD with the SD card Copier utility, and it worked! After shutting down and pulling the SD card the SSD boots the system up with video working.

I was using the 2019-04-08 Raspbian Stretch with Desktop image in my test (2019-04-08-raspbian-stretch.zip).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

cormack

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:59 am

That's interesting... and curious.

kolosovmax

Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:10 am

Good day. Same problem with Raspberry Pi 3B+ and HDMI, boot from USB.

cormack

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:41 pm

My 3B+ boots the same kernel from USB with no problems (though that kernel was from a fresh Buster install, not an upgrade under Stretch, like on my 3B.)

MadM4x

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:50 pm

Sorry for my bad english.

I have the same Problem with Kodi on RPi 3b+

After apt update and apt full-upgrade with new Kernel Version under Stretch ... Kodi doesn't Start.
Normally Kodi starts on Boot/Reboot but since the Update and the following Reboot there is now Way
to start Kodi.

Curious thing is that after systemctl start kodi it doesn't create a Kodi.log File.
And i do not know why or what i can do to fix that.

Duckey

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:24 pm

I initially ignored your post because you mentioned Kodi, and I believed that your problem was different than mine. It seems that your post may contain the answer that i have been searching for, rolling back an upgrade. It seems that there is a potentially faulty kernel in the most recent package.

Here's my post, now they are crosslinked for the 60 people that looked at mine, but had no answer, and the one person that has the same problem: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=246448

cormack

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:05 am

If your system is configured to use HDMI, kodi will go looking for the HDMI. Not finding the HDMI, kodi won't start. I didn't realize your Pi was configured to auto start kodi at boot.

You don't say whether you see the rainbow screen, the raspberry logos, or any normal boot time service startup messages. If you are having the problem being discussed here, you would recognize the symptoms well before there'd be any attempt by kodi to start up. Again, this thread is not a "kodi problem", it is an HDMI problem.

Duckey

Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:29 pm

No, my system does not have Kodi installed. My monitor refuses to display anything at all, other than the 'no signal' message. I'm still fighting the Putty login to SSH in and do the reversion too the previous kernel.

It boots from the SSD, but with NO HDMI signal at all. The system works great from the new Buster boot card, but I can't do the reversion from that boot card. I'm not a Putty user normally, so I'm probably doing something wrong and still have to tinker a bit.

pimo

Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:35 pm

NOTE: No spaces aroung the @ signs below, just have to avoid "email protected" when posting.

How to log in with ssh:

1. The first thing you need to do is make sure sshd is running in the Pi. In my case this meant blindly typing Control-Alt-T to get a terminal and then "sudo journalctl enable ssh" (permanently enable sshd on startup). If you feel lucky maybe just "sudo sshd" would get that session going.

2. Now you need to connect from another computer. "ssh pi @ raspberrypi.local" might do it if you are lucky. ==> COULD BE FINISHED HERE.

Otherwise:

3. Find the address of your pi. I found mine by logging into the router and looking at Status > LAN to see what addresses were assigned. You might get the info off your pi another way, maybe "ifconfig > /boot/myip.txt" (as root) and then put the drive on Windows and read the boot partition from there.

4. Connect using SSH. It sounds like you use windows. OpenSSH is in new versions of windows, so just "ssh pi @ 192.168.1.55555" from a terminal may work. (replace 192.168.1.55555 with the ip address you discover in step 3).

cormack

Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:56 pm

Getting back to the topic at hand (no HDMI output after latest apt-get kernel upgrade), the following work-around got me going under the new kernel, *though it does not fix the root cause.*

The issue seems to be in the HDMI subsystem failing to properly identify the connected display. Adding the following to /boot/config.txt stops the kernel from polling the display for edid data, to identify the type of display.

# Added when kernel upgrade resulted in no HDMI
hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080

Information about that parameter can be found here...
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md

HawaiianPi

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:23 am

cormack wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:41 pm
My 3B+ boots the same kernel from USB with no problems (though that kernel was from a fresh Buster install, not an upgrade under Stretch...
Yea, I just tested the latest Buster and last Stretch images, and Buster is fine, but Stretch loses HDMI output after the software is updated and the system is rebooted (which happens when you run through the startup configuration script).

Nice work on finding a workaround (hdmi_ignore_edid...) :geek:

I wonder why it only happens on USB booted systems? :?
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

gkreidl

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:07 am

Will we get a new kernel/firmware version for Stretch which does really fix the problem (for all people having the root FS on a USB drive)?
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “Troubleshooting”