spencerPI33

Raspberry Pi 4 Blank screen after installing Raspbian

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:04 am

Hi,

I just got a new Raspberry Pi 4 and a blank 16GB MicroSD card. I downloaded NOOBS v3.1.1 and put it on the SD card, then put it in the Pi and plugged in the power. At first, nothing showed up on the screen, but I was able to fix that by creating a config.txt file and adding the line hdmi_edid_file=1.

After that, I was able to see something on the screen, and I installed Raspbian. When Raspbian finished installing, I got a message that the OS had successfully installed, and I hit Ok expecting it to reboot. However, after I hit Ok, the screen went blank and there is no HDMI signal.

I've seen a lot of forums that suggest uncommenting and adding lines to the config.txt in the GUI before installing Raspbian, but nothing I've tried has worked.

If anyone has any idea what the problem could be, please let me know!

Thanks in advance,
Spencer

Andyroo

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Blank screen after installing Raspbian

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:38 am

I would not use NOOBS to install Raspbian, just download the version you want, write that to SD using Etcher (no need to unzip / format the SD card) and then add hdmi_edid_file=1 to the config.txt of that copy.

I think the issue maybe that the change you made only applies to NOOBS not any subsequent OS that is installed but I only used NOOBS a couple of times and then gave up with it :lol: :oops: :lol:
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

klricks

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Blank screen after installing Raspbian

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:35 pm

Make sure you have connected HDMI cable to HDMI-0 not 1.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “Troubleshooting”