ChibitulSmecher

RASPBERRY PI MODEL B 700Mhz; 512Mb RAM is very, very slow

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:08 am

hi All,

I have a RASPBERRY PI MODEL B 700Mhz; 512Mb RAM which I bought in late 2013. I used it for a few hours and installed Mathematica on it back then, but I never used it after that. I remember it being slow, but I don't recall how slow. I lost that SD card.

I got a new WinTec SD card from my digital camera and installed latest version of Stretch on it. It is very slow.

I bought an official Raspberry Pi Micro SD card which arrived from UK. It is a 32 GB SanDisk Micro SD card with an SD card adapter which has the Raspberry Pi logo.

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/noob ... d-card-3-1

I booted from this card. It is just as slow.

I power the Pi from a Lithium Ion battery pack just because I am lazy to look for a AC/DC adapter. I have a USB gizmo that measures voltage/current/power/mAh and it shows 5.2V becfore I boot the Pi, and 5.1V after I boot the Pi. during boot process it draws anywhere between 0.2 and 0.45A. It feels just very slow.

I booted from a LED lamp with USB socket and it is still slow.

I tried overclocking, from 700 to 900 Mhz. I used some CLI commands to confirm the CPU was running at 700 or 900 MHz, the core was at 250 and I don;'t recall but I think GPU was at something like 400 maybe.

I installed MInecraft Alpha and kids had a blast, it was running kind of OK but still it was an Alpha version. After 5 min they gave up.

I am not sure if this is normal or if this is defective. I may try ot convert it into a Pi Hole, since I can't do anything else with it.

Looking for ward to buy a Pi 3B+ to try Mathematica again or maybe wait for Pi 4, which is hard to find and if I understand correctly, the Mathematica does not run on Buster yet.

Any thoughts?

Thanks and peace.
Chibitul Smecher

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: RASPBERRY PI MODEL B 700Mhz; 512Mb RAM is very, very slow

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:47 am

What are you doing with the Pi that is slow?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

bensimmo

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:38 am

Probably using the Desktop, it will be slow. You should get 1000MHz out of it and it'll be as quick as the PiZero that is £5 if you can find one.
It is old though, a Pi2,.3 or 4 are a lot quicker and snappier at the desktop.
It's not the SD or anything else, just the fact it is a slow single core CPU on there, especially if you are using the current desktop.
Thonny (the default Python IDE) isn't so nice to use on the Pi1 based Pi either and snappier alternatives have been 'removed' from the Desktop.
And don't even try the web browser.
Things have moved on.
This Pi4 is a quick little thing. (The P3B+ and even the Pi2 are excellent for most desktop use, other than web browsing at various sites).
That old Pi still has a lot of uses.

hippy

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:21 pm

ChibitulSmecher wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:08 am
I am not sure if this is normal or if this is defective. I may try ot convert it into a Pi Hole, since I can't do anything else with it.
The original Pi's are slow, always were and always likely will be, even with over-clocking, and some don't over-clock at all well. It is more noticeable when using one after using something faster.

They are not so slow that they are unusable, but they can be less than suitable for some tasks.

ChibitulSmecher

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:31 pm

Thanks folks. I wasn't trying to do anything special, just openign Chromium takes probably more than a minute... I did manage to install and run Mathematica, but it would also take about a minute to render a 3D plot.

I opend a few images, installed and run Minecraft alpha version (which was not as bad as I was expecting for such a slow machine). I think I will install Pi Hole to remove most ads on my network and shop for a Pi 4.

Is there any plan to release a new version of Buster that would again be compatible with Mathematica?

Thanks and peace.
Chibitul Smecher

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:40 pm

ChibitulSmecher wrote:
Thanks folks. I wasn't trying to do anything special, just openign Chromium takes probably more than a minute... I did manage to install and run Mathematica, but it would also take about a minute to render a 3D plot.

I opend a few images, installed and run Minecraft alpha version (which was not as bad as I was expecting for such a slow machine). I think I will install Pi Hole to remove most ads on my network and shop for a Pi 4.

Is there any plan to release a new version of Buster that would again be compatible with Mathematica?

Thanks and peace.
Chibitul Smecher

Mathematica is available from the Raspbian Buster repositories......
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

hippy

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:02 pm

ChibitulSmecher wrote:
Buster runs on an original Pi B and I believe Mathematica has now been made compatible with Buster but you would be better off using a more recent and more capable Pi if you are intending to use that to run Mathematica, Chromium or Minecraft.

bensimmo

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Chromium came when the faster Pi were out and could run it reasonably.
The older, less capable, but faster on the Pi1/Zero series browser was removed from the listing. The desktop has gradually left the old Pi behind (so B/A/B+/A+/Zero)
Minecraft was designed when the Pi1 was current and hasn't been updated since, that is why it works nicely.

I don't know about Mathematica though.
Was that always slow or has it been expanded ?

ChibitulSmecher

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:50 am

Was that always slow or has it been expanded ?
I don't know how to answer this question. I bought it in Dec 2013 and I probably "played" with it for a few hours in Dec 2013 and maybe Jan/Feb 2013, after which it has been sitting idle. I do remember it being slow, but how slow I don;t remember.

Now after almost 6 years I revived it. Since I cannot find the original software, I installed new software. I think that makes it very slow now. The hardware is too slow for Stretch (and Buster).

HawaiianPi

Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:33 am

Yes, all of the single core Pi models are very slow, including the Pi Zero, although they are a little faster due to their 1GHz clock speed. The Raspberry Pi 3B was something like 10 times faster than the old model B, and 7-8 times faster than the Pi Zero. The 3B+ is a little faster than the 3B, and the latest Pi 4B is much faster (fastest Pi to date).

The Pi 4B is still going through some growing pains, having been released less than 3 weeks ago (not to mention they're darn near impossible to find). The 3B and 3B+ are well established models. If you want something much faster than your old model B that just works, the Raspberry Pi 3B or 3B+ would be a good option. If you don't mind a little troubleshooting and waiting for updates, the 4B is the newest and fastest model.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

hippy

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:28 am

ChibitulSmecher wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:50 am
I installed new software. I think that makes it very slow now. The hardware is too slow for Stretch (and Buster).
I installed Buster on my Pi B and it doesn't feel to me that it's any slower than Stretch was, or any slower than I remember Wheezy being.

But yes, the original Pi's are slow, and will be too slow for some things; they always were. They aren't "too slow" for Stretch nor Buster; but whether suitable for your use will depend on what you want to do and the performance you are requiring.

Pi performance has increased massively as new models have been introduced. The latest Pi 4B is probably 30 or more times faster than the original so, if you feel you need that level of performance, choose that. Use the original Pi for things it can handle adequately.

itsmedoofer

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:07 am

Treat yourself to a 3B+ or 4B for desktop use, and put the old PiB to another good use.

Mine is currently running Dump1090 and feeding data into FlightRadar24, giving me a free business account! Before that it was a webcam server, the Original B is plenty for these uses.

Return to “Troubleshooting”