0x0luke

Pi4 Not booting, SDcard/HDD works fine on Pi2

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:07 pm

Hi all,

Having some issues with my Pi4, I'm running it headless right now, but it's getting the link up for the ethernet, starting up the external drive and then nothing... I can't ping or SSH into the device and my router doesn't have a ARP entry for it..The SoC is hot to the touch, so it's not in a a halted state.

The last things I did before I rebooted it and it got stuck in this was enabling the VNC server via raspi-config, and increased the GPU memory to 256mb.

To debug whether i'd done something to the OS, I switched out the Pi4 to a Pi2, same SD card/Hard drive, ethernet etc.. This device boots fine, and i'm able to SSH into it, etc.

Have I possibly somehow killed my Pi4 already? I've left it a good 20 minutes just to make sure it's not decided to do a fsck or something, still nothing.

If you need anymore info, let me know. Can't see or identify anything that could be causing a fault apart from the hardware of the Pi4

0x0luke

Re: Pi4 Not booting, SDcard/HDD works fine on Pi2

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:26 pm

Drilled it down to something weird i've never had to deal with before - It won't boot without an HDMI, got the usual recommendations of hdmi_hotplug_enabled set to 1

nmc1234

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:29 pm

0x0luke wrote:
Drilled it down to something weird i've never had to deal with before - It won't boot without an HDMI, got the usual recommendations of hdmi_hotplug_enabled set to 1
Did you get it working by adding this line to the config txt file?

0x0luke

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:44 pm

nmc1234 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:29 pm
0x0luke wrote:
Did you get it working by adding this line to the config txt file?
Nope, back to stage 1 again, thought it might have been that causing it but I guess not - I've just ordered a micro hdmi cable on Amazon just to make sure but I'm quite clueless

I've checked the kern.log, and its booting correctly - Gets to where it should be anyway (saying the 1gbps link is up) So i'm stuck with what's wrong

0x0luke

Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:33 pm

Think i've sorted it out.

My Pi sits on top of a Network switch without a case and when i've moved it so the PCB isn't touching the switch, its booting again. Weird, perhaps i was causing it to short circuit. Looks like i'll need to make a makeshift case of some sort.

pwinwood

Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:51 pm

Having got my Pi 4 to run - not all USB-C power supplies are compatible with the Pi 4 it seems - by getting an official PSU, my Pi 4 also refused to boot to desktop with occasional flashes off the boot screen etc. I just did an 'rpi-update' to the latest (July 4th) kernel etc and it is now working fine. I was using my old but fully functioning HP1530 screen. I can boot with the display plugged into either HDMI port.

0x0luke

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:44 pm

pwinwood wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:51 pm
Having got my Pi 4 to run - not all USB-C power supplies are compatible with the Pi 4 it seems - by getting an official PSU, my Pi 4 also refused to boot to desktop with occasional flashes off the boot screen etc. I just did an 'rpi-update' to the latest (July 4th) kernel etc and it is now working fine. I was using my old but fully functioning HP1530 screen. I can boot with the display plugged into either HDMI port.
I'm using the official PSU from Raspberry pi ;)

Had bad experiences with rpi-update in the past so i'll leave that till its pushed to the raspberrypi-kernel package

Return to “Troubleshooting”