Larryb

Raspberry pi 4 not booting.

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:12 pm

Hello
I purchased a Raspberry pi 4 (2gb) and it was functioning perfectly until I was asked to restart it. Once I restarted it, it didn't boot back up. I tried reflashing the SD card with raspbian buster but this didn't work. Any advice please?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry pi 4 not booting.

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:36 am

read the boot problem sticky in beginners.
do not double post... :mrgreen:

Kagekowai

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:10 pm

I've purchased a Raspberry Pi 4 4GB and I've never been able to boot it. I've been following this thread to try to fix it but it didn't succeed.

If I power on my Raspberry without SD card, the green led blinks twice very fast.
If I plug the SD card, it also blinks twice but slowly.

Here's a video about it:

Video Raspberry Pi 4

k-pi

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:58 pm

Having problems myself, you can see how I've got on so far in my rant thread. :)

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=244431

Kagekowai

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:19 pm

k-pi wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:58 pm
Having problems myself, you can see how I've got on so far in my rant thread. :)

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=244431
Looks like your problem is about HDMI output. You said that both green and red leds are lit on your Raspberry, didn't you?

In my case, only the red led is powered on

diazpt

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:26 pm

I have the same problem, my microsd card does not boot after first confi in pi 4. But, if i insert the microsd in pi 3, it boots and after pi 3 boot, i reinsert in pi 4, it boots. How can we fix this?

amilino

Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:20 pm

In my case, booting is frozen (black screen always) until I remove usb dongle for my remote keyboard. Then booting continue and then I plug in usb dongle again and all is fine.

The same problem is with everything what I attach to RPi4: usb sticks, external hard drives, wired mouse or keyboard... :)

Looking forward to more stable upgrade of kernel, if it will come soon out, so far this is a big minus for me.

josn

Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:07 am

I am having the same problem as @Kagekowai describes: ~2 quick flashes of the activity led, then nothing. Same problem without sdcard. As this seems to be a EEPROM problem, I created a sdcard with a FAT partition, copied the contents of the zip with the eeprom recovery stuff on it. But that is handled exactly the same: no continuous activity flashing after 10 seconds or anything. I had the RPI4 connected to my PC at some time, and realized that the PI does OTG on the USB C port, and shows itself as 'BCM2711 Boot', vendor 0a5c, product ID 2711. It apparantly can boot over OTG, like RPI0, RPI0W and the Compute boards. It will apparently soon be supported by usbboot: see https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/1184.

But alas, my rpi4, that I waited over 6 weeks for, is going back. Hope to get a replacement sooner..

eendler

Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:50 pm

I've received my pi 4 4gb in August and until now I was not able to boot it. Act led blink twice doesn't matter if sdcard is plugged or not, just as described in some previous comments. I've tried reinstall bootloader and nothing could fix it. Have someone found a way to fix it?
I've bought my Pi at Canakit but discovered the problem already in Brazil so returning it to Canada doesn't worth since it is too expensive...

Return to “Troubleshooting”