jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: I can´t boot from usb in pi 4

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:05 am

kyliael wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:56 am
Nice to see how some guys don't want to admit there's an issue. For every single customer complaining about the lack and regression of usb boot support OUT OF THE BOX as it is for the previous version, the pi 3b+, you're saying they are a minority, most of people don't care about usb booting blablabla.
I'm seeing more and more customers complaining or at least, just asking for an APPROXIMATIVE date for release. 1 month, 3 months, 6 months?
And you guys just make fun on them.

Nice mindset.
We accept there is an issue with usb-c for some power supplies and will be fixing it. We know usb boot is wanted by some people and will be adding it. So pretty sure we have admitted everything you are complaining about. You also have an approximate schedule for the added boot features. So what's the problem?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

HawaiianPi

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:27 am

jamesh wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:05 am
So what's the problem?
The problem is the whiners rushed out a bought something without doing any research whatsoever, and now they're unhappy that it wasn't what they imagined it would be.

I love how all these self-important people come on here to tell the Raspberry Pi Foundation what they *should* do, regardless of what anyone else feels. And then when we try to tell them that, they just dismiss our opinions as nonsense. :roll:

A lot of us here are fine with running a Pi from an SD card, or hybrid SD-USB booting until the firmware is updated. But you don't care about that at all, do you kyliael, because apparently you are the most important person in the entire world, and your opinion is all that matters.

So remember that, Jamesh. Next time you and your cronies plan on releasing a product 6 months ahead of schedule, you better check with kyliael first, to see if it's okay. Because if kyliael's not happy, none of us are allowed to be happy. Image
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

jamesh

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:22 am

Probably best to lay off any sort of personal attacks. But your point is taken.

We could of course, have held on for another month or two or three or four or five, fixed up the remaining issues, had everything there from the launch.

But those people who have no need of the extra features would have to wait another few months to get a product that is already does what they want.

So effectively, the Pi4 is good enough for most people, and will get better over time to satisfy the rest. Not sure why people think that is a bad approach.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

jdb

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:46 am

kyliael wrote:
Nice to see how some guys don't want to admit there's an issue. For every single customer complaining about the lack and regression of usb boot support OUT OF THE BOX as it is for the previous version, the pi 3b+, you're saying they are a minority, most of people don't care about usb booting blablabla.
I'm seeing more and more customers complaining or at least, just asking for an APPROXIMATIVE date for release. 1 month, 3 months, 6 months?

Nice mindset.
One last time:

What is stopping you from running the root filesystem on a USB SSD?
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

LTolledo

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:59 am

What is stopping you from running the root filesystem on a USB SSD?
his mindset ..perhaps... :mrgreen:

" ....where there's a will.... there's always a way....
....in the absence of such...there will always be excuses and complaints all the way....."
Last edited by LTolledo on Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Gavinmc42

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:10 am

I found the Pi4 release perfect timing as my home PC running Linux Mint died the day my first Pi4 arrived.

My biggest beef is Warzone2100 won't run 4 player maps without going psychedelic on me.
Previously half the map was black, so it is getting better ;)

Got a USB dock and had trouble getting it going using Win10/Etcher.
Turns out uSD cards had a price drop, I'm now using a 64GB one.
Runs about twice as fast as the old 3B+.
Probably best to lay off any sort of personal attacks.
I found it a bit offensive.
Basically saying you guys don't know what you are doing after making how many Pi versions?

Is RPF becoming a victim of their own success and expectations are now beyond mere mortals ability to deliver?
Keep making Pi's, some of us will keep buying them.

Besides you guys are not even close to finishing the Mission, OCPP?
How many kids in the World?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

HawaiianPi

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:25 am

LTolledo wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:59 am
his mindset ..perhaps... :mrgreen:
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

thagrol

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:46 am

kyliael wrote:

Nice mindset.
Nobody is denying there is an issue.

Nobody is making fun of anybody.

Some folks are doing a good job of making themselves look stupid and childish.

Some folks are also giving the impression that they prefer to whinge rather than apply a know good workaround for the USB boot issue.

Can we have some context and hard evidence to back up your claim that "I'm seeing more and more customers complaining"? Something we can compare with the number of 4Bs sold.

Lastly, here a question for you:

When PC manufacturers stopped including floppy drives did you take the same attitude or did you apply a workaround buy providing your own? I'm assuming here, you're old enough to have been around during that time but given your obvious immaturity I doubt that's the case.
This space unintentionally left blank.

thagrol

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:42 pm

kyliael wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:26 pm
Concerning all other people, just responding to make fun on me, well you just giving the proof I was right concerning your mindset.
As I said above, nobody is making fun of you.

Some of us have commented on how you are coming across to us which is not the same thing at all. And the quote above just serves to reinforce that impression.

Some of us have also tried to point why your position is, at best, mistaken.

Many of us have tried to point out your alternatives, often more than once, including at least one staff member. You've not done yourself any favours by refusing to acknowledge this and by refusing to reply when direct questions have been asked of you.

LTolledo

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:50 pm

kyliael wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:26 pm

Just note that if this was clearly explained in a sticky post, on the documentation, or even just said when we were asking for it since the release, this kind of frustration won't have occurred.

Maybe you missed this, or did read it but did not try (or never tried) to understand. Its been there since RPi4B's release
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... teeprom.md
PXE and USB Boot
Support for these additional bootmodes will be added in the future via optional bootloader updates. The current schedule is to release PXE boot first, then USB boot.
Now this is some kind of proof doesnt it?
Something wrong with our mindsets you say?

Some people be like:

thagrol

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:56 pm

kyliael wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:37 pm
thagrol wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:46 am
When PC manufacturers stopped including floppy drives did you take the same attitude or did you apply a workaround buy providing your own? I'm assuming here, you're old enough to have been around during that time but given your obvious immaturity I doubt that's the case.
Comparing end of life of floppy disk and the hability to use boot from USB to only use a ssd instead of Micro SD card?

Well, don't you see how stupid is your comparison?
No, I don't.

In both situations technology was removed that a minority of folks relied upon. In both cases suitable work arounds existed that could be implimented by the end user.

I don't recall anyone doing what you are doing now back then though at that time the internet was a different beast.
I don't know you, you don't know me. You shouldn't feel yourself so smart or confident when throwing this kind of immature and personal attack on a forum.
True. All we have to go on is the tone of the words we write. Yours has been consistenly immature, agressive, and petulant. As this is a family friendly forum (and you're the one who's been both swearing and impolite) it is not unreasonable to assume, given your posts in this and other threads that you were a teenager given the lack of evidence to the contrary.

No direct personal attack was made or intended though a speculation based on your previous posts was made.
By the way, my first computer was not equipped with a floppy drive... It was a ti99/4a
Neither was mine but I'm not about start comparing anatomy. Not least because there are folks around here who've been in this game much longer than I have. And I don't see how that is A. relevant, and B. proof of age.

LTolledo

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:00 pm

kyliael wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:51 pm
Just don't want to use a uSD card.
Ok, your point is clear now... just be patient then... until the eventual roll out...

Some people be like:

thagrol

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:01 pm

kyliael wrote:
That's not an unreasonable desire.
I want to flash an OS to an USB drive, boot on it directly just out of the box like the pi3b+ without having to do it manually.
Sadly that's currently not possible as was known before you joined this thread.

The way you've gone about things has, in my opinion, done little but alienate folks who are here to help.

jdb

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:09 pm

kyliael wrote:
I want to flash an OS to an USB drive, boot on it directly just out of the box like the pi3b+ without having to do it manually.

By the way, the first response from staff was : no progress
Last response, about 1.5-2 months delay.
That's OK, at least we have a clear response now.
Allow me to clarify further: you are permanently banned from these forums.

Guides and tutorials have been posted in response to your - uh - questions, and you haven't said at any point whether these have worked, or have been insufficient for your needs.

Instead you've consistently sought to seek a stick with which to beat "the staff" and have resorted to various insults along the way. I don't have time for this nonsense.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

Return to “Troubleshooting”