MisterEd

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 temperature

Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:58 am

pfletch101 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:32 pm
jamesh wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:19 am
I'd say it was a regular case. Just a very well designed one. Looking at the one I have here, the LCD cable and camera cables have exits, and there is an available slot to get a GPIO ribbon cable out should you so wish.
Indeed, there is a slot provided for a GPIO ribbon cable, but do you know of a source for a cable/connector combo that fits into the case? The ends of the connectors on the (fairly standard) 40-pin cables I have foul the pillars on the case, so that you can't close it if a cable is attached to the GPIO header.
After seeing your comment I got out my Pi3B+ and the Flirc case I bought for it recently. I had not got around to putting the Pi 3B+ in the case because I have spending all my time with my new Pi 4B lately.

I had been using the PI 3B+ for experimenting with the GPIO so I had planned to plug in the 40-pin cable permanently and only plug it into the the breadboard as needed. Like you I found out with the cable plugged in I could not get the Pi 3B+ into the Flirc case.

I pulled out a ruler and took some measurements.

Code: Select all

(O) <----------------------  53 mm  ----------------------> (O) Screw posts
| <------------------------  55 mm  ------------------------> | 40-pin connector
As you can see the 40-pin connector is too wide by at least 2mm to fit between the posts.

I guess I'll have to toss the Flirc case aside and put the Pi 3B+ back into the CanaKit case.

pfletch101

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:05 am

MisterEd wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:58 am
pfletch101 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:32 pm
jamesh wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:19 am
I'd say it was a regular case. Just a very well designed one. Looking at the one I have here, the LCD cable and camera cables have exits, and there is an available slot to get a GPIO ribbon cable out should you so wish.
Indeed, there is a slot provided for a GPIO ribbon cable, but do you know of a source for a cable/connector combo that fits into the case? The ends of the connectors on the (fairly standard) 40-pin cables I have foul the pillars on the case, so that you can't close it if a cable is attached to the GPIO header.
After seeing your comment I got out my Pi3B+ and the Flirc case I bought for it recently. I had not got around to putting the Pi 3B+ in the case because I have spending all my time with my new Pi 4B lately.

I had been using the PI 3B+ for experimenting with the GPIO so I had planned to plug in the 40-pin cable permanently and only plug it into the the breadboard as needed. Like you I found out with the cable plugged in I could not get the Pi 3B+ into the Flirc case.

I pulled out a ruler and took some measurements.

(O) <----------------------  53 mm  ----------------------> (O) Screw posts
| <------------------------  55 mm  ------------------------> | 40-pin connector
As you can see the 40-pin connector is too wide by at least 2mm to fit between the posts.

I guess I'll have to toss the Flirc case aside and put the Pi 3B+ back into the CanaKit case.
There is another quite active thread about this issue at https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 9&t=248516. I have an email into Flirc about this issue and will report back to the other thread when I get a response.

yorkz

Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:15 am

Just bought my Rasberry Pi 4 4G. The temperature is 72 degree C in idle (CPU % 0.7% -1 %). Started up to GUI then disconnected the HDMI monitor and keyboard, and ssh into my rasberry pi 4. Here's my package (bought it from Cana Kit):

- Raspberry Pi 4 (1 GB, 2 GB, or 4 GB RAM)
- CanaKit USB-C Power Supply
- Set of 3 Aluminum Heat Sinks
- CanaKit Quick-Start Guide
- CanaKit GPIO Reference Card
- SanDisk 32GB MicroSD w/NOOBS
- Premium Black Case
- USB Card Reader
- Micro HDMI Cable

The following is my /boot/config.txt:

[code]
# For more options and information see
# http://rpf.io/configtxt
# Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
# and your display can output without overscan
#disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
#overscan_left=16
#overscan_right=16
#overscan_top=16
#overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
# overscan.
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
#hdmi_group=1
#hdmi_mode=1

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
#hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
# no display
#config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
#sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=800

# Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces
#dtparam=i2c_arm=on
#dtparam=i2s=on
#dtparam=spi=on

# Uncomment this to enable the lirc-rpi module
#dtoverlay=lirc-rpi

# Additional overlays and parameters are documented /boot/overlays/README

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on

[pi4]
# Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver on top of the dispmanx display stack
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2

[all]
#dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

# NOOBS Auto-generated Settings:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
[/code]

Note: I've installed the three heat sink in the package.

Please help, I'm not comfortable with this idle temperature.

Thanks

jahboater

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:05 pm

The heatsinks wont help (much) inside that poorly ventilated case.

Try moving the Pi outside of the case temporarily and monitor the temps.
I find the temp is a little lower if the Pi board is on edge and the heat sink fins are aligned vertically.

ProDigit

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:17 pm

yorkz wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:15 am
Just bought my Rasberry Pi 4 4G. The temperature is 72 degree C in idle (CPU % 0.7% -1 %). Started up to GUI then disconnected the HDMI monitor and keyboard, and ssh into my rasberry pi 4. Here's my package (bought it from Cana Kit):

Please help, I'm not comfortable with this idle temperature.

Thanks
You need active cooling, or provide a larger heat sink, or at least have a vented case.
Also, a metal HDMI plug or cable end, will drain some of the heat from the board (as the Pi board has heat conducting copper that connects to the HDMI plug, and can drop CPU temperatures by a degree or two).

If your PI is mostly mounted (doesn't travel a lot) You can also strip the glue from the heat sink, and just glue it on the CPU with a dab of high quality thermal compound. Those sticky glues they use on heat sinks act more like an insulator than a conductor.

If this is not an option, you can try to add to config.txt the following 2 lines:

over_voltage_min=-2
arm_freq_min=500
If it hangs during idle, restart with SHIFT pressed, and change the over_volt value to -1.
Sometimes a value of -3 or -4 will work as well, depending on your specific unit.
It should lower your idle temperatures by a few degrees.

The Raspbian GUI OS can run fine off of 800Mhz on a single core, so setting a value of ~500Mhz on a quad core, will still be enough to prevent it from ramping up to 1,5Ghz, at a lower idle power consumption.

Calabrone

Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:52 pm

I've installed the new firmware and the temperature is decreased of about 5°C in idle mode. I use the rpi4 with omv as a NAS. Before the upgrade the cpu worked at no less then 65°C. I've no fan, only heat sink.
After firmware upgrade, in the same condition, the CPU works at 60°C (sometimes 58/59).
Anyway, I think I will install the fan: I want it cooler! :)

stanwhite

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:38 pm

It is currently 25 degrees in my study, and I am using my RPI4 with Chrome to write this. The temperature of the CPU is 29 degrees. Yes, that is correct, 29 degrees. I get the same kind of temps running full screen video from youtube.

There is no secret to achieving this... Heatsink and fan OVERKILL!!! :D

My heatsink measures 150mm x 60mm x 25mm deep. I accurately machined a chunk of aluminium to interface from the CPU to the face of the heatsink, and applied Arctic silver 5 on both the CPU and the underside of the heatsink. On the "finned" side are two 60mm fans that are rated at 12V, to shift 19.5 cubic feet of air each, per minute. A small inverter picks up 5V from the GPIO pins, and provides the 12V for the fans.

I ran a stress test (The one you run before the "a53" test that I could not get running), and I made 39 degrees after 10 minutes at 1500Mhz.

Does anyone know where the temperature sensor is? (Inside the CPU?).

I have been building PCs for many years, and a heatsink and fan are a must... As it seems so with the RPI4!

Regards,

Stan.

slinxy

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:56 pm

Just got my flirc case, very pleased with it thou the heat retention on it is crazy...
I’ve been running the pi in the official case but with the top off and it’s been sitting there in the 60c.
With the case it’s 50c but I’ve been benching it and the max it reached was 60c.

It may be where I have it as there’s very little air flow in the ikea cube, but I feel it would help if it had fins.
If I was going to get another pi4, for always on services I would get another flirc case but for project work I would get the pibow ninja coupe with the fan shrim.. simply because of the easy access to the pins and active cooling for overhead in case it’s ever needed.

hdtodd

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:11 pm

Mine in the official case, top off and elevated for circulation under the case but no heat sinks installed, idled at 65-67° and throttled out at 80°C doing an apt-get upgrade. I bought the Smazra case, installed its heat sinks, plugged the fan into the 3V3 pin (low speed -- can't hear it), and it idles at 46-48°C and hits 50°C doing a 5-minute apt-get update/upgrade.

At this point, I wouldn't buy any case for the Pi-4 that didn't have a fan. Preferably a really quiet fan (removed the fan from a Pi-3 Zebra case a couple of years ago because it made so much noise ... ruined me for Zebra cases).

martinrowan

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:22 pm

I've just published a post looking at a number of cases including the FLIRC and some with active cooling. I've focused on idle temps to start with, follow up post on WiFi signal strength to follow: I might then look at some load testing scenarios if I can come up with a reasonable scenario which avoids this being a stress test.

Results from current case testing can be found here: https://www.martinrowan.co.uk/2019/08/c ... erry-pi-4/

pi9

Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:52 am

Which is better; ceramic or metal heat sink? I read that the pores in the ceramic heat sinks make it better, but after installing one on the CPU and one on the chip next to it, i noticed the temperature actually started rising. That is until I turned on a small desk fan that i have on my desk to cool down my 17" laptop. I have the pi board laying down on the lower part of a Pi3 case that I bought by mistake, so it is sitting in the open.

jbudd

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:59 am

A small heatsink has to conduct heat efficiently from the chip and dissipate it to the air.
Assuming good thermal contact with the chip, a ceramic heatsink may conduct the heat better but an aluminium one with fins probably dissipates it better.

What really counts with the pi4 is airflow to dissipate the heat.

If you don't want a fan then the flirc case provides a large lump of metal for the pi to keep warm.

pi9

Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:22 am

I bought this one from China. Looks similar, but it's all metal. It should be here any day. Stuck with my local mailman somewhere.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000002 ... b201603_52

LTolledo

Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:59 am

I got this....
armorcaseRPi4B.jpg
armorcaseRPi4B.jpg (137.73 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
its the same type I use for my RPi3B/RPi3B+ but redesigned for use in RPi4B

will do a little bit of mod on the fan side to improve airflow, just like I did on the RPi3B/RPi3B+ version.
change the power connector as well, to be standard with all my fan power connectors.
I expect to have my upcoming RPi4B idle at 43C and peak at 50C on a 28C ~ 30C ambient....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

kenkrsme

Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:29 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:59 am
I got this....
armorcaseRPi4B.jpg

its the same type I use for my RPi3B/RPi3B+ but redesigned for use in RPi4B

will do a little bit of mod on the fan side to improve airflow, just like I did on the RPi3B/RPi3B+ version.
change the power connector as well, to be standard with all my fan power connectors.
I expect to have my upcoming RPi4B idle at 43C and peak at 50C on a 28C ~ 30C ambient....
What is that mod? i see 52 idle and 78 max under full load. i am overclocked at 2 ghz.

I dont think that little "dual" fan moves enough air

5chmidti

Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:16 pm

Datapoint:
RPI 4B4
Image: 2019-07-10 raspbian buster
Updated: apt-get: update, upgrade, dist-upgrade
Firmware: vcgencmd version: date aug 15 2019 12:03:51
Case: official, closed
Heatsink: little ones with tape (the heatsinks burn, so some heat transer is happening), will try thermal compound if mine is not solid yet
Temp: 70 deg C
uptime: 17min
usage: headless, just power connected
/boot/config.txt:

[pi4]
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2
[all]
start_x=0
Thinking about going with a different case and/or active cooling

martinrowan

Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:52 pm

Yeah avoid the official case unless your goal is to cook your Pi. See my blog for idle temps with a few different cases: https://www.martinrowan.co.uk

Gavinmc42

Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:28 am

Yeah avoid the official case unless your goal is to cook your Pi
I have a 20x20x5mm heatsink on mine and I have been using the official case for nearly two weeks.
I just pop the top and leave an air gap, runs about 61C
Previously I had used the old case modified and also leave off the top, ran 58C.
The tiniest fan with tiny heatsink will be enough, to stay below 50C?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

ProDigit

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:23 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
I have a 20x20x5mm heatsink on mine and I have been using the official case for nearly two weeks.
Previously I had used the old case modified and also leave off the top, ran 58C.
You do realize the temperature is soft capped, because the CPU is throttled at 60C?

Imperf3kt

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:53 am

ProDigit wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:23 am
Gavinmc42 wrote:
You do realize the temperature is soft capped, because the CPU is throttled at 60C?
The Pi4b does not have that soft throttle.
The only Pi that does is a Pi3b+

I fact it's the other way around on a Pi4b, the throttle cap can be raised to 90°C (although it isn't advised)
Last edited by Imperf3kt on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Gavinmc42

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:54 am

Er, I thought it was around 80-85C
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

ProDigit

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:21 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:54 am
Er, I thought it was around 80-85C
At least on the Pi3B+, 60C throttles down to 1,2Ghz, but can be set to 70C.
At ~80-85C the CPU can hard throttle to nearly idle speeds.

It seems that on the Pi 4 this soft throttle is 80C, and hard throttle is 85C.
This is one of the reasons I didn't buy a Pi 4, as I'm pretty content with the Pi Zero W for the most part (does 75% of my work, 90% if you exclude browsing), and the 3B+ does 95% of the work I need to do.
Last edited by ProDigit on Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

HawaiianPi

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:16 am

pi9 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:52 am
Which is better; ceramic or metal heat sink? I read that the pores in the ceramic heat sinks make it better, but after installing one on the CPU and one on the chip next to it, i noticed the temperature actually started rising.
A lot of the cheap heatsinks sold for Pi computers do not have thermal interface adhesive, and instead have nothing more than double-sided plastic tape pre-installed (which is an insulator).

On the other hand, you don't need to choose between porous ceramic and metal any longer, because now there are micro-porous metallic copper foam heatsinks. I actually have some of those in a box somewhere, but I have to find them, and then find the time to test them on my Pi4...

In the meantime, I have found that a fan alone works better than a heatsink alone, but if you prefer a fanless solution, the Flirc case works great, and looks cool as well. I have a 4B4 in a Flirc, and a 4B2 in an open sided case with a 40mm Noctua fan, and both stay below throttling temps when pushed hard (linked picture is my Pi3, which was swapped for the Pi4, but I don't have new pics yet).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

HawaiianPi

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:31 am

ProDigit wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:21 pm
At least on the Pi3B, 60C throttles down to 1,2Ghz, but can be set to 70C.
At ~80-85C the CPU can hard throttle to nearly idle speeds.
You seem to be a bit confused.

The 3B runs at 1.2GHz by default. It's the 3B+ that runs at 1.4GHz and "soft-throttles" down to 1.2GHz. The 60C was in recent versions of Raspbian (originally was 70C) and that initial throttling to 1.2GHz is not flagged by vcgencmd get_throttled (throttled=0x0).

It seems that on the Pi 4 this soft throttle is 80C, and hard throttle is 85C.
That's true for all models, and 80C+ is flagged by the command vcgencmd get_throttled (on all models, including the 3B+).

So the 3B+ will drop to 3B speed at 60/70C, then behave as all other models for 80-85C.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

zappor

Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:58 pm

The updated firmware didn't work very well for me, had to revert. I thought it was completely hung but after 6 minutes it came up!

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/9Vm3pH5KkS/

A lot of these:

[  221.506214] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#0 uas_eh_abort_handler 0 uas-tag 1 inflight: IN 
[  221.506222] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#0 CDB: opcode=0x28 28 00 00 03 60 71 00 04 00 00
[  221.522878] scsi host0: uas_eh_device_reset_handler start
[  221.647093] usb 2-2: reset SuperSpeed Gen 1 USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
[  221.668228] scsi host0: uas_eh_device_reset_handler success
I'm booting from a:

[    1.520071] usb 2-2: new SuperSpeed Gen 1 USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
[    1.537912] usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=174c, idProduct=55aa, bcdDevice= 1.00
[    1.537929] usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=1
[    1.537945] usb 2-2: Product: USB3.0 External HDD
[    1.537959] usb 2-2: Manufacturer: ASMedia
[    1.537974] usb 2-2: SerialNumber: 201701000069
[    1.561858] scsi host0: uas
[    1.563320] scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Corsair  Force LS SSD     0    PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
[    1.566184] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 117231408 512-byte logical blocks: (60.0 GB/55.9 GiB)
[    1.566457] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[    1.566476] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
[    1.567010] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[    1.567897] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Optimal transfer size 33553920 bytes
[    1.571445]  sda: sda1 sda2
[    1.574760] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk

Return to “Troubleshooting”