Re: Raspberry Pi 4 temperature

Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:11 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:42 am
Bakul Shah wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:39 am
dom wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:36 pm
When disabling the normal throttling I've had a Pi4 (and a Pi3+) running above 100'C for sustained periods.
Nothing bad happened.

There is a theoretical risk of reduction of chip lifespan when running at extreme temperatures (I'm talking 100'C rather than 77'C)
but we're still probably talking about decades of lifespan.
Is there a way to disable throttling? I don't care if it reduces the warranty lifespan to zero!
That's a bad idea. The throttling is designed to stop the device killing itself within minutes. Running slightly above the thermal cut off isn't too worrying, but if you keep pushing it hard, it'll continue to climb and that's when it becomes a problem that can destroy your Pi in seconds.
Let me repeat the included portion from Dom's message:
There is a theoretical risk of reduction of chip lifespan when running at extreme temperatures (I'm talking 100'C rather than 77'C)
but we're still probably talking about decades of lifespan.'

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:18 pm

Bakul Shah wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:39 am
Is there a way to disable throttling? I don't care if it reduces the warranty lifespan to zero!
Recent firmware lets you set temp_limit=90 in config.txt which will give more headroom before throttling.
We'd only recommend this if the Pi is located somewhere safe from curious fingers.

RPIgoodSBC

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:28 pm

I have received my armor-case from geekworm and is working very good.
I am using a thermal pad Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8 (1mm thick) you can put on CPU, RAM and Chip-USB.
Here is a good web page about thermal-pads...

https://graphicscardhub.com/best-thermal-pad/

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/40000019 ... 63c0O2dQ3U

Idle Raspbian is 42C
Youtube 1080P and DVB-TV at same time is 52C
1 hour of cpuburn-a53 is 64C.

Onboard wifi 5Ghz is ok.
Onboard wifi 2.4Ghz is affected by USB-3 interference but is not a problem with armor-case this happens too on any other case, is related USB-3 interference with wifi 2.4 on any PC not only on raspberrypi.
If you want good signal wifi onboard 2.4 do not use USB-3 and use only SD boot and USB-2 or use an extensor and external wifi dongle.
USB-3 is very close to the antenna in rpi4b because rpi is very small form factor.

The armor-case is nice and tiny.
If you want a totally silent case this is a very good option.
Very happy with the purchase.

DJTJMCCLUSKEY

Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:00 pm

My pi 4 heats up in tue official case shows the temperature warning and then it shuts off and all it was running was a chromium tab of youtube which is what my old pi 3 could do without any issues. Both the pi 3 and pi 4 are in the official rpi case.

singalen

Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:25 pm

I think I'm having the worst of it.
My Pi4 is laying bare on a table, no case, with CanaKit radiators on. Fresh Raspbian Buster installed. USB ports are all taken by keyboard, mouse, and 2 USB sticks.

It's idling at 75º and smells burnt circuitry, with ambient temperature around 26º. Video playback is not accelerated on Raspbian in any way; this must have something to do with CPU load. As soon as it plays anything, the temperature goes to 85º and then it throttles.
I could only get accelerated video in LibreELEC; but the board is still running at 83º then.

Need to try the experimental USB firmware (https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=244421) or just disconnecting all the USB devices.

jamesh

Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:58 pm

singalen wrote:
My Pi4 is laying bare on a table, no case, with CanaKit radiators on. Fresh Raspbian Buster installed. USB ports are all taken by keyboard, mouse, and 2 USB sticks.

It's idling at 75º and smells burnt circuitry, with ambient temperature around 26º. Video playback is not accelerated on Raspbian in any way; this must have something to do with CPU load. As soon as it plays anything, the temperature goes to 85º and then it throttles.
I could only get accelerated video in LibreELEC; but the board is still running at 83º then.

Need to try the experimental USB firmware (https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=244421) or just disconnecting all the USB devices.
That's weird. No way should it be that hot under those circumstances. Are you using a 4kp60 monitor?

And it certainly shouldn't smell.

Remove unnecessary USB devices, reflash the SD card, but TBH, sounds like a broken board.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

kennyc

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:21 pm

singalen wrote:

Which model 1Gb? 4Gb?
just curious...my first 1Gb seemed to have some issues and also the temp/overheat issue...have not seen that with the replacement board.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Blog: http://mansionsofthemind.blogspot.com/
Art: https://www.deviantart.com/kennyc
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

singalen

Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:43 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:58 pm
That's weird. No way should it be that hot under those circumstances. Are you using a 4kp60 monitor?

And it certainly shouldn't smell.

Remove unnecessary USB devices, reflash the SD card, but TBH, sounds like a broken board.
The monitor is VIZIO E422VA TV, 1080p. I locked the framerate at 30, need to check if I did it the right way.
The smell is faint and can be explained by it being at 80-85º for 3 days, it just adds to the impression.
Reflashed it 3 times, one of them being LibreELEC, the temperature stays the same. Will try removing USB devices.

It's a 4Gb model.

If removing USB doesn't help, will have to return it then. Got it, thanks.

webbsmurfen

Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:58 pm

RPIgoodSBC wrote:
I am using a thermal pad Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8 (1mm thick) you can put on CPU, RAM and Chip-USB.

Idle Raspbian is 42C

Onboard wifi 5Ghz is ok.
Onboard wifi 2.4Ghz is affected by USB-3 interference but is not a problem with armor-case this happens too on any other case, is related USB-3 interference with wifi 2.4 on any PC not only on raspberrypi.
If you want good signal wifi onboard 2.4 do not use USB-3 and use only SD boot and USB-2 or use an extensor and external wifi dongle.
USB-3 is very close to the antenna in rpi4b because rpi is very small form factor.

Oh thats some nice temps..

Was there any pads in the packet from Geekworm or was it your own.. Im thinking about using some CPU thermal compound like Artic Silver

OK so 2,4Ghz is more affected due to USB3 interference than the actual armor-case.. Good to know..

RPIgoodSBC

Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:16 pm

webbsmurfen wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:58 pm
RPIgoodSBC wrote:

Idle Raspbian is 42C

Onboard wifi 5Ghz is ok.

Oh thats some nice temps..

Was there any pads in the packet from Geekworm or was it your own.. Im thinking about using some CPU thermal compound like Artic Silver

OK so 2,4Ghz is more affected due to USB3 interference than the actual armor-case.. Good to know..
Yes there is 3 thermal pads 3M blue included 0,5mm thick and 4 screws and a key hexagonal and 2x20 + 2x20 headers extensions and of course the 2 heatsinks case.
Geekworm says 0,5mm gap but I prefer use my thermal pad 1mm thick.Thermal-pads are flexible and is better a little more than a little less.

Artic silver is conductive.Be carefull if you use it only on CPU and only half a grain of rice.

Imperf3kt

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:41 pm

You've got that backwards.
When it comes to thermal pads/grease/paste/whatever, less is better.

The idea is to fill microscopic imperfections in the two binding surfaces with a better heat transfer medium than air, but not too much or you gain the opposite effect.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

RPIgoodSBC

Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:31 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:

The idea is to fill microscopic imperfections in the two binding surfaces with a better heat transfer medium than air, but not too much or you gain the opposite effect.
With the thermal pad, the important thing is to make good contact with the heatsink. If it does not good contact, it is of no use and as there is no way to know if the 0.5mm is not something more a + 0.5mm precaution that is in total 1mm thick thermal-pad is highly recommended in my opinion.

jamesh

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:42 am

RPIgoodSBC wrote:
Imperf3kt wrote:

With the thermal pad, the important thing is to make good contact with the heatsink. If it does not good contact, it is of no use and as there is no way to know if the 0.5mm is not something more a + 0.5mm precaution that is in total 1mm thick thermal-pad is highly recommended in my opinion.
The problem is that some pad material is not very heat conductive! So the less you have the better. You want the heatsink to touch the CPU, with as little in between as possible.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

RPIgoodSBC

Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:40 am

jamesh wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:42 am
RPIgoodSBC wrote:
Imperf3kt wrote:

The problem is that some pad material is not very heat conductive! So the less you have the better. You want the heatsink to touch the CPU, with as little in between as possible.

Yes is true that the thinner the thermal sticker the better heat dissipation but if it does not fit well in the hole it is worse than a little thicker and a good fit because the thermal stickers have some flexibility and are compressible by pressure at least 0.5mm.
I have tried to see the real gap that geekworm claims to be 0.5mm but I think it is a very high precision in the machining of aluminum.
I believe that the real gap is rather between 0.5mm and 1mm.
In the previous model of armor case for raspberry pi3 I have read reviews that the thermal sticker did not touch the heatsink and in case that it happens it is much worse than a little thicker in the thermal sticker.

Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8 (1mm thick) seems to work quite well in my armor case.

https://www.amazon.es/Thermal-Grizzly-M ... 00ZJSW8K8/

This case is going to be my definitive for pi4.

I would have preferred the unpainted and well-polished aluminum color because the paint layer detracts some thermal efficiency and I preferred it was the stackable box continuing up and down the holes of the pi so that it can be extended with standoffs and I would also have liked some holes on the bottom to hang it on the back of a VESA monitor.

Anyway it is a good box, the smallest silent and thermally efficient that I have used with the pi.

trejan

Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:51 am

RPIgoodSBC wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:40 am
I would have preferred the unpainted and well-polished aluminum color because the paint layer detracts some thermal efficiency and I preferred it was the stackable box continuing up and down the holes of the pi so that it can be extended with standoffs and I would also have liked some holes on the bottom to hang it on the back of a VESA monitor.
It isn't painted. It is anodised and anodising actually increases thermal emissivity of the heatsink. The difference isn't as significant if you have forced airflow across the heatsink though.

KennethLNOR

Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:31 pm

Hello. First post here. I received my pre-order of the Flirc case for the Raspberry Pi 4 (have the 2GB)

I'm doing a sysbench test now. The same test Christopher Barnatt, ExplainingComputers Youtube channel do in his SBC videoes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVfvhEJ9XD0

About 24'C room temp.

49'C

I give the Flirc case two thumbs up!

Greetings from Norway.

Kenneth L.

phil995511

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:31 pm

Hello everyone,

I have passed an order for a "Flirc Raspberry Pi 4 Case". I just received it yesterday.

With this new case, I am now at 41°-43° C at IDLE* (versus 73° C with a original RPi 4 case + passive cooler on CPU, RAM, Chipset's) and at 55°C max on full screen Youtube video (@1080) Chromium player (versus 85° C with a original RPi 4 case + passive cooler on CPU, RAM, Chipset's).

On stress test CPU at 100% I'm at 58 °C maximum with this new case :)

Although I have not tested it, this case certainly offers a high overcloking potential...

It should be noted that I used a thermal pad brand Alphacool (11W/m K, thickness 1,5 mm) instead of the one supplied original with this case.

This case is the best one for my... The Raspberry Pi Foundation should have sold us a case of this type there and not a completely ineffective plastic case. Because the RPi 4 slowed the speed clock of the CPU as soon as the temperature is too hot (81 ° C seems to me).

I wish a lot of pleasure to all who bought it like me, because the RPi 4 is a great microcomputer.

I look forward to the release of the 64-bit version of Raspbian, which should improve the CPU's computational performance, bring 4K video support, and compatibility with 64-bit softs like Opera, Google Chrome, etc.

Best regards at all.

* with passive cooler on RAM and Chipset's)
Last edited by phil995511 on Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KennethLNOR

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:56 pm

phil995511 wrote:
My idles at 55'C

Maybe I should replace the thermal pad or use thermal paste instead.

What is the thickness on your thermal pads?

phil995511

Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:05 pm

KennethLNOR wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:56 pm
phil995511 wrote:
My idles at 55'C

Maybe I should replace the thermal pad or use thermal paste instead.

What is the thickness on your thermal pads?
I have edited my post for add the thickness... it's 1,5 mm.

I do not think it's wise to use traditional thermal dough because the space between the CPU and the passive cooler of the housing is intended for a termical pad. You will not be able to fill this space with dough.

The higher the dissipation index of the pad, the better the CPU will be cooled down, this until saturation of the capacity of absorption of the box.

If you use a thermal paste for a another use, I advise you Phobya NanoGrease Extrem.

Regards.

jamesh

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:04 pm

phil995511 wrote:
I look forward to the release of the 64-bit version of Raspbian, which should improve the CPU's computational performance, bring 4K video support, and compatibility with 64-bit softs like Opera, Google Chrome, etc.
4k already supported in libreElec using the HW HEVC decoder, will also be available on Raspbian in the future. Chromium already supported in 32bit version.

phil995511

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:48 pm

jamesh wrote:
phil995511 wrote:
4k already supported in libreElec using the HW HEVC decoder, will also be available on Raspbian in the future. Chromium already supported in 32bit version.
I dont use libreElec but Raspbian. I am an NT systems administrator, Debian is my Linux reference system and I will not reinstall x OS for testing, I have time to waste with it ... I prefer to wait for the availability of Raspbian 64 Bit.

Chromium and Opera, which is a derivative, are only available in 64-bit and not 32-bit versions ... Some other softwares must also pose this downward compatibility problem.

I read that from RPi 3 the CPU is 64 bits, it is a pity that Raspbian 10 is only 32 bits for the moment. This is only useful to users of very old generation RPi 2 & 1. For this older RPi Debian 9 is officially supported until June 2022 ... It is a bad strategic choice on your part in my opinion to have dont offers Raspbian 10 64 Bits right now.We will have to waste time to reinstall everything in a few weeks.If you consider the number of users multiplied by 2 to 4 hours of work, this represents a significant loss of human potential ... and this does not give a serious reputation for you ;(

If you want advice in the future, to ask us what we would like to see in the form of e-mail surveys, I am open to support you.

Best regards.

gkreidl

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:35 pm

phil995511 wrote:
jamesh wrote:
phil995511 wrote:
I dont use libreElec but Raspbian. I am an NT systems administrator, Debian is my Linux reference system and I will not reinstall x OS for testing, I have time to waste with it ... I prefer to wait for the availability of Raspbian 64 Bit.

Chromium and Opera, which is a derivative, are only available in 64-bit and not 32-bit versions ... Some other softwares must also pose this downward compatibility problem.

I read that from RPi 3 the CPU is 64 bits, it is a pity that Raspbian 10 is only 32 bits for the moment. This is only useful to users of very old generation RPi 2 & 1. For this older RPi Debian 9 is officially supported until June 2022 ... It is a bad strategic choice on your part in my opinion to have dont offers Raspbian 10 64 Bits right now.We will have to waste time to reinstall everything in a few weeks.If you consider the number of users multiplied by 2 to 4 hours of work, this represents a significant loss of human potential ... and this does not give a serious reputation for you ;(

If you want advice in the future, to ask us what we would like to see in the form of e-mail surveys, I am open to support you.

Best regards.
"2 - 4 hours work". Sorry, but this idiotic. Obviously you don't know what you are talking about.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

phil995511

Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:14 pm

gkreidl wrote:
phil995511 wrote:
jamesh wrote:

Best regards.
"2 - 4 hours work". Sorry, but this idiotic. Obviously you don't know what you are talking about.
I certainly know what I'm talking about but hey, you have the right to have a point of view on the subject...

I leave you to ponder your need to question the opinion of others.

There are times when the ego makes us blind and prevents us from respecting others...you still have to be a very young person to try to impose yourself thus.

I wish you a happy life among us.

Regards.

gkreidl

Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:55 pm

phil995511 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:14 pm
gkreidl wrote:
phil995511 wrote:

Best regards.
I certainly know what I'm talking about but hey, you have the right to have a point of view on the subject...

I leave you to ponder your need to question the opinion of others.

There are times when the ego makes us blind and prevents us from respecting others...you still have to be a very young person to try to impose yourself thus.

I wish you a happy life among us.

Regards.
Yes, maybe I'm too young to evaluate your nonsense. BTW, I'm 70 years old.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Imperf3kt

Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:35 pm

2-4 hours of work sounds a bit optimistic.

Perhaps your time would be better spent in different, more constructive ways than making silly remarks on a forum.
If you have time to wait for 64bit Raspbian, you have time to try another distro that suits your needs. You don't lose anything.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Return to “Troubleshooting”