rin67630

Raspberry Pi Z wWLan modules with defective HDMI?

Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:15 am

Hi I currently am expreincing my 3rd Raspberry Pi Z W module with defective HDMI port after only a few weeks of operations.

Have you made similar experiences?

I use to use the modules headless, so I still can use them, but it is annoying

aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: Raspberry Pi Z wWLan modules with defective HDMI?

Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:54 pm

How can you say it's defective? Which test did you make and what's your HW configuration?

rin67630

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:29 pm

Easy: no picture on any HDMI monitor.
Desktop well rendered over VNC
Another "heal" Raspi ZW runs the same SD card with picture. -> not the Software.

HawaiianPi

Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:37 pm

Try different HDMI cables.

Try adding config_hdmi_boost=7 to config.txt, and if that doesn't work, try 9 and then 11. If none work, then it may very well be bad.

However, the odds of having THREE defective Pi computers is astronomically low. Something in your configuration is killing them. I've seen a similar situation in the past where the user determined that his TV had some high voltage leakage on one of the the HDMI ports, which was killing his Pi computers.

We'd need to know more about your hardware and software configuration to troubleshoot, but something on your end is almost certainly killing your HDMI ports.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

rin67630

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:59 pm

I am only once briefly using a small 5V powered HDMI monitor to get WLAN running.
The rest of the time the Raspi Zero are running without any HDMI connection.

By the way: i have been using the small 5V powered HDMI monitor for years with a lot of Raspberry Pi models, only the Zeros make trouble.

HawaiianPi

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:28 pm

rin67630 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:59 pm
I am only once briefly using a small 5V powered HDMI monitor to get WLAN running.
Off-topic, but you don't need to use a screen, keyboard or mouse to get WiFi working. You can prepare a card for completely headless boot with wireless network and SSH support. All you need to do is create a file named wpa_supplicant.conf on the small FAT32 "boot" partition of a Raspbian SD card with your wireless login information inside. When Raspbian finds that file it will move it to the correct location and connect to your network. Also create an empty ssh (or ssh.txt) file to enable SSH logins.

So, step by step:
  1. Download the latest Raspbian image from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
  2. Download the Etcher software from https://www.balena.io/etcher/
  3. Use Etcher to write the Raspbian image to your SD card (directly from the .zip download).
    • You don't need to extract the image or format the card prior to writing.
    • Just run Etcher, choose the Raspbian .zip you downloaded, pick your SD card and write.
    • If you have trouble, verify the SHA256 checksum of the download.
    • Writing an image to your card will erase everything previously on it!
  4. Remove and reinsert the SD card so that your Windows or Mac PC can see the small FAT32 partition on the card (labelled "boot").
    • If you get a message telling you the card must be formatted, cancel it.
  5. On that small FAT32 partition, create a file with the name ssh (or ssh.txt). It can be empty, the contents don't matter.
  6. To connect to a wireless network, create another file on the card called wpa_supplicant.conf, which has the following inside:

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
    update_config=1
    country=GB

network={
         ssid="Your network name/SSID"
         psk="Your WPA/WPA2 passphrase"
         key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    }
    • Edit country=, ssid= and psk= with your information and save the file.
    • Use the 2 letter country abbreviation in CAPS (without this you will have no WiFi).
    • Use a pure text editor, not a word processor, to edit the wpa_supplicant.conf file.
  7. Make sure that both files are in the main directory of the small FAT32 "boot" partition, not in any folder.
  8. Safely eject the card from your PC and use it to boot the Pi.

rin67630

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:22 am

I know.
But sometimes you haven't got access to the router DHCP logs to reveal the given IP address.

fanoush

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:34 am

Anyway, what HawaiianPi said worked for me with multiple Zeros. I have same experience - with same monitor other Pi work but Zero does not show the picture unless increasing config_hdmi_boost. Also since it is miniHDMI often the additional mini to full hdmi adapter attached to same cable is enough to make the signal weaker.

rin67630

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:47 am

Yes, config_hdmi_boost=7 in config.txt located in the folder /boot/ brings the picture back...
Thanks, HawaiianPi!

HawaiianPi

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:14 pm

rin67630 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:22 am
I know.
But sometimes you haven't got access to the router DHCP logs to reveal the given IP address.
That could be handled in various ways. My preference is to use a CP2102 USB-TTL adapter as a serial console cable to view the shell and kernel output from a serial terminal on another computer (my Windows laptop or Chromebook or phone).

You could use a network scanner app like nmap for Linux or Fing for smartphones (I'm fond of Fing myself).
Fing_1.jpg
Fing_1.jpg (17.97 KiB) Viewed 282 times

USB gadget mode could be used to SSH into the Pi0W over USB and find the WiFi address.

You could have the Pi0W email or text you the address once it has connected to a network.

I've also seen small screens or a blinking LED suggested (never tried those myself).
rin67630 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:47 am
Yes, config_hdmi_boost=7 in config.txt located in the folder /boot/ brings the picture back...
Thanks, HawaiianPi!
Yea, all those extra adapters on the Pi0 models can be a pain sometimes. Which is why I tend to use other methods. Glad you got it working.

rin67630

Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:13 pm

My current easiest full graphical way is to start with a cloned SD-card, containing all my software, including a VNC cloud connection.
Once on site, I tether an internet to the Rpi with my smartphone and get into the RPi over VNC cloud. The cloud VNC connection does not require any IP address to be known.
Then I can setup the local WLAN, note the IP, personalize the system name and reboot.

A variant of that strategy is to use a bare Pi zero with a WLAN stick.
You can prepare everything on a master RPi incl connecting to WLAN and mind the IP address. Almost every router will assign the IP address based on the MAC of the WLAN stick.
So, when everything is setup, you can just swap SD card and WLAN stick and run headless.
The advantage is also, that you may use high performance WLAN sticks with much more range than a RPI W would have got.

By the way, for me using the serial console is not possible, my environmental logger application already uses the ttyAMA0 operatively.

Return to “Troubleshooting”