MeltdownSpectre

Pi 3B - Broken SD card slot

Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:18 pm

Long story short, SD Card slot broken on Pi 3B. No way to boot it right now, and since everything else on it still works fine, I'd like to boot it from USB, which I can't do without an SDcard. Kinda defeats the purpose of even having that feature.

I can't get a new SD card slot for many reasons, so don't bother suggesting that. Just need ways to salvage this otherwise perfectly fine 3B.

Thanks.

Pictures of the SD card slot:

Last edited by MeltdownSpectre on Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpdom

Re: Pi 3B - Broken SD card slot

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:50 pm

If USB boot has not been enabled for that Pi 3B yet, then you won't be able to boot from USB on it without an SD card in the SD card slot.

Burngate

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:52 pm

I'm not sure it's possible, but the solder pads look quite clean; could you temporarily clamp an SD card onto the connections, to enable USB booting?
Maybe a suitably insulated bulldog clip could work, and save you a few quid.

zardoz99

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:35 pm

You *could* wire in an micro-SD to sdcard holder, the sort that comes free with many micro-SD cards, to the exposed pads with fine insulated wire. That would act like a replacement micro-SD card slot.

MeltdownSpectre

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:04 am

zardoz99 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:35 pm
You *could* wire in an micro-SD to sdcard holder, the sort that comes free with many micro-SD cards, to the exposed pads with fine insulated wire. That would act like a replacement micro-SD card slot.
I've got a few of those, will try it and hopefully it works just long enough for me to set the USB boot OTP.
Thanks!
Burngate wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:52 pm
I'm not sure it's possible, but the solder pads look quite clean; could you temporarily clamp an SD card onto the connections, to enable USB booting?
Maybe a suitably insulated bulldog clip could work, and save you a few quid.
I tried holding down an SDcard on the gold contacts, but it didn't boot. Solid red light, but no green ACT light.

I think I've got a few bulldog clips, will try that, hopefully it works.

Burngate

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:45 am

I'd go with zardoz99's suggestion if possible - his idea is better than mine!

LTolledo

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:12 pm

Burngate wrote:
... and you will need some confidence in your soldering skills to pull it off
but once you've been able to boot from the soldered microSD "adapter", set the required bits for USB booting.

then test if USB booting is successful
after confirming that... you have the option to remove the soldered adapter.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

MeltdownSpectre

Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:06 am

Burngate wrote:
I tried your idea of using a bulldog clip to hold the SDCard against the contacts to try and get it to boot, and no luck. It didn't work.

No confidence in my ability to solder, so I didn't try the other idea of wiring an adapter to the slot.

Guess I'll just buy another Pi. I just wish they'd make less flimsy SDcard slots and have had USB boot enabled by default on older models, but this one is going into the back of the cupboard, never to be seen again.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:32 pm

MeltdownSpectre wrote:
Guess I'll just buy another Pi. I just wish they'd make less flimsy SDcard slots and have had USB boot enabled by default on older models, but this one is going into the back of the cupboard, never to be seen again.
When the Pi3B was launched, USB booting wasn't generally available. (I don't even think it was in beta test at that point.) So it wouldn't have made any sense to set the bit for something that might never see the light of day. There was some talk (later on) about setting the bit at the factory, but that hasn't happened.

On the other hand, the Pi3B+ *does* have the boot over USB bit set during production.

FYI... I've never had any problems with the microUSB card slot. How did yours come to be removed from the board?

HawaiianPi

Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:54 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
FYI... I've never had any problems with the microUSB card slot. How did yours come to be removed from the board?
I've also never had an issue with the Pi micro SD card slots, so I wonder this as well (my guess would be installing or removing the Pi from a case with a card in the slot, although that usually results in a broken card).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

MeltdownSpectre

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:15 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
It literally disintegrated. The gray plastic bits and contacts just fell off.

The Pi was lying under my router for months, and it started acting up (wouldn't boot or would just freeze up), so I did a clean install of Raspbian and started from scratch, gave it 2 extra months of life before it started acting up again.

This time when I picked it up, the SD card was loosely lying in the slot, so I removed it to see if there was something stuck in there, and the silver cover over the card just popped right off, after which I noticed the gold contacts were barely connected to the board and the other pieces of it just broke off in my hand.

Burngate

Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:19 am

Looking at your pictures again,
RznPaqQ5_o-4.jpg
RznPaqQ5_o-4.jpg (53.63 KiB) Viewed 686 times
it looks to me there's been a fair amount of stress applied to the socket, over time.
Solder joints don't normally "just give up" like that - metal fatigue is a likely culprit.
MeltdownSpectre wrote:
No confidence in my ability to solder,
Now's the time to learn. Like flint-knapping, it's a skill that could come in handy any time.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:52 pm

Burngate wrote:
Now's the time to learn. Like flint-knapping, it's a skill that could come in handy any time.
Now *that's* something I've seen up close and personal from a real expert. The guy who redeveloped the techniques, Francois Bordes.

MeltdownSpectre

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:11 pm

Burngate wrote:
Looking at your pictures again,RznPaqQ5_o-4.jpg it looks to me there's been a fair amount of stress applied to the socket, over time.
Solder joints don't normally "just give up" like that - metal fatigue is a likely culprit.
Fatigue, caused by?
Could it be heat? The Pi wasn't in a very well ventilated case, and was lying under a table in a room thats quite warm for 9 months in a year.

Burngate

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:37 pm

MeltdownSpectre wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:11 pm
... Fatigue, caused by?
Could it be heat? The Pi wasn't in a very well ventilated case, and was lying under a table in a room thats quite warm for 9 months in a year.
No idea -I don't think heat cycling would have caused this - but ... for example, did a vacuum cleaner get anywhere close in that nine months? Or a cat?

Whenever I've broken things by using too much force (and there's been lots of that round Burngate House) metal gets bent and/or solder pads get lifted. But in your case, the way the legs of the cover seem to have left the solder makes me think there was vibration occuring.

MeltdownSpectre

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:13 am

Burngate wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:37 pm
did a vacuum cleaner get anywhere close in that nine months?
Yes, about a million times. It was in a very bad location, lying on the floor, under the table where my router is. That part of the living room would get fairly dusty and would be vacuumed very often.

I've moved my Pi3B+ to a better location, so hopefully the same mistakes shouldn't be repeated with that.

jgutie

Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:56 am

I just suffered the same,
Google searches sends to this post first, so replying here in case someone else faces this issue.

So far I had found that
-- All the pi 3B plus come with usb boot enabled from factory, not the case for 3B wich supports it but require a change it the config.txt to enable it , so if the slot is already damaged you are out of luck (there seems to be a revision v1.2 of raspberry 2B that also supports boot from usb )

-- On pi zero there are Probe pads that allows to solder a microSD to fullSize SD adapter
PP14 - SD CLK - SD card clock
PP15 - SD CMD -
PP16 - SD DAT0 -
PP17 - SD DAT1 -
PP18 - SD DAT2 -
PP19 - SD CD -
, but those pads are not present on Raspberry Pi3B

With that in mind I proceeded to actually solder the microSD to fullSD adapter to the microSD tracks still alive on my raspberry pi 3B (once again if you have the plus model you do not need to do anything, and you can boot from the USB right away)

The task is simple , everything matches one to one from the microsd paths to the SD with the exception of the 6th teeth wich happens to be ground too, and found that the adapter had them bridged anyway.

Now for soldering it,required thin wires, so cut an old IDE connector for taking the 8 needed wires, it was neither easy nor pretty, but got it done. And then my pi was booting back again from SD,

As a lesson learnt i enabled the usb boot on it, and on the other 3 pi that allowed it, my Pi2 did not work for usb boot as it is revision 1.1

Return to “Troubleshooting”