samoud

Fluxbox and omxplayer

Mon May 20, 2019 7:59 am

Hello,

I am working on a little project to play some videos from a raspberry pi with text and images as overlay. For the overlay I am working on an electron project launched with fluxbox and I play videos with omxplayer directly. But the problem is that the video stay always above the electron app.

How can I manage to keep the electron app always on top and omxplayer always on background ?

topguy

Re: Fluxbox and omxplayer

Mon May 20, 2019 9:50 am

All GPU accelerated video players uses a dedicated framebuffer for video, it is not integrated with the X-Windows or its window manager.

The OpenMax (omx for short) graphic api support the concept of "layers" so "omxplayer" has an option "--layer" ( ref: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... xplayer.md ) where you can select which layer to render on. But I have a feeling this will not directly fix your issue.

Thread on topic.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... ?p=1448682

samoud

Mon May 20, 2019 12:26 pm

topguy wrote: All GPU accelerated video players uses a dedicated framebuffer for video, it is not integrated with the X-Windows or its window manager.
Apparently Omxplayer can output to X windows, doesn't it ?

I've already tried the layer option for omxplayer without success.

topguy

Mon May 20, 2019 1:14 pm

Apparently Omxplayer can output to X windows, doesn't it ?
Can it ? I know that there exist X gui for omxplayer, but I think they fake it. They draw a blank window in the X-desktop and then calculate where the corners are inside the border and then tell omxplayer to render on that part of the screen. ( --win option )

Return to “Troubleshooting”