rook

Can access internet & SSH, but see timeouts from terminal

Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:47 pm

I recently started using an older RPI 2 with wifi dongle.

I've gone through the set-up and everything looks good - I am able to access the internet via WiFi, pages load fine in Chrome and I can access the pi from my mac via SSH.

However, when I try to use a command requiring network access via terminal (

Code: Select all

ping
or

sudo gem install
or sending email via SMTP) I always get a network timeout. Interestingly I am able perform GETs with ruby's NET::HTTP - it's clear I'm connected to the internet, but unclear why I see so many timeouts when using terminal commands.

Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks

pcmanbob

Re: Can access internet & SSH, but see timeouts from terminal

Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:56 pm

Hi.

So exactly what response do you get from a ping command assuming you are not just typing ping ?

try

ping  -c 4 8.8.8.8
and your install command

sudo gem install
is incorrect assuming you want to install gem from the pi repositories the command would be

sudo apt-get install gem
you should also run

sudo apt-get update
before trying to install new packages.

as for your mail problem we would need to know more before we can help with that as there are a number of mail packages and setup is normally required for each one specific to the mail server you are trying to connect to.
Last edited by pcmanbob on Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

rook

Re: Can access internet & SSH, but see timeouts from terminal

Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:31 pm

Thanks for your reply. Your examples of ping and installing gem helped. I messed up the syntax on both.

Was still seeing gem timeouts, though, even after apt-get installation. I will mention the issue and solution in case anyone else has trouble reaching RubyGems from terminal.

Issue: rubygems.org is unreachable by IPv6 -- thread found here --> http://help.rubygems.org/discussions/pr ... eout-error

Solution: force gem to use IPv4 first per this SO Answer:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/498 ... 5#50349235

Now that I have access to gems, I can leverage the Mail gem to hopefully get past the SMTP issues.
If I have anymore timeouts I will post them.

Cheers!

Return to “Troubleshooting”