taylorkh
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:57 pm

Any reason why a Pi 3 will not run from a 64 GB card?

Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:24 am

I am running several Pi's from 16 GB MicroSD cards. I am trying to set one up with a 64 GB card so I can include my mp3 collection on the card. I have tried cloning a working Ubuntu installation from a 16 GB card by a number of methods which I have used successfully to clone cards. I am finding a lot of corruption on the 64 GB card. I have even started over with the Ubuntu Mate 16.04 image which I transferred to the 64 GB card with dd. It booted and resized then rebooted. I entered the information to complete the installation. Upon reboot it did an fsck, fixed a bunch of stuff, rebooted, did another fsck, fixed some more stuff and then came up to the logon window with no USB connectivity to the mouse and keyboard.

I think the card is defective. I can create a partition, create a file system on it and then fsck will find a LOT of errors. I have been on chat with Sandisk for about 40 minutes so far. They have no clue.

If in fact I should be able to use a 64 GB card I think I will just try another one.

TIA,

Ken

User avatar
mikronauts
Posts: 2685
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:28 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Any reason why a Pi 3 will not run from a 64 GB card?

Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:29 am

See if you can store 64Gb of data on it on a pc (formatted on a pc)

As you say, it could be a defective card, or possibly a counterfeit card that has no where near 64Gb
taylorkh wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:24 am
I am running several Pi's from 16 GB MicroSD cards. I am trying to set one up with a 64 GB card so I can include my mp3 collection on the card. I have tried cloning a working Ubuntu installation from a 16 GB card by a number of methods which I have used successfully to clone cards. I am finding a lot of corruption on the 64 GB card. I have even started over with the Ubuntu Mate 16.04 image which I transferred to the 64 GB card with dd. It booted and resized then rebooted. I entered the information to complete the installation. Upon reboot it did an fsck, fixed a bunch of stuff, rebooted, did another fsck, fixed some more stuff and then came up to the logon window with no USB connectivity to the mouse and keyboard.

I think the card is defective. I can create a partition, create a file system on it and then fsck will find a LOT of errors. I have been on chat with Sandisk for about 40 minutes so far. They have no clue.

If in fact I should be able to use a 64 GB card I think I will just try another one.

TIA,

Ken
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

taylorkh
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: Any reason why a Pi 3 will not run from a 64 GB card?

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:14 am

Thanks mikronauts,

As I posted, the card reports errors unrelated to its use in the Pi. As long as a Pi will work with a 64 GB card I will try another. I am hoping someone can provide some experience good or bad.

Ken

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 9797
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Any reason why a Pi 3 will not run from a 64 GB card?

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:27 am

taylorkh wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:14 am
Thanks mikronauts,

As I posted, the card reports errors unrelated to its use in the Pi. As long as a Pi will work with a 64 GB card I will try another. I am hoping someone can provide some experience good or bad.
Yes. Pis will work with 64GB cards. I have two that way at the moment. A Pi2Bv1.1 and a Pi3A+.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 3678
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Any reason why a Pi 3 will not run from a 64 GB card?

Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:28 am

taylorkh wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:14 am
As long as a Pi will work with a 64 GB card I will try another. I am hoping someone can provide some experience good or bad.
The Pi supports the SDXC standard, which is cards up to 2TB (although none that large exist yet). I have tested my Pi with cards up to 128GB and it worked fine. The main issue people run into with cards larger than 32GB is with NOOBS installation, but you are using Ubuntu images, so that's not your problem.

If it's a popular brand card (especially SanDisk or Samsung), then it could be a fake (lots of counterfeits out there). There are some programs that test the integrity of flash storage media. For Windows there is h2testw and for Linux there is F3 (Fight Fake Flash), which I have heard can be built from source on Mac OS.

It also could be your card reader. I had one that seemed to work perfectly when reading/writing files (never had a problem), but it frequently failed to verify when writing images with Etcher. I tossed that one in the recycle bin and use a different card reader now.

Oh, and one more thing. If you have a new 3B+ model, the Ubuntu Mate 16.04 image is not compatible. The 3B+ model needs new firmware and a new kernel, and that Ubuntu image is too old. I believe there is an Ubuntu 18 image that is 3B+ compatible now (and of course, the latest Raspbian is compatible with all Raspberry Pi models).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

jahboater
Posts: 3946
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Re: Any reason why a Pi 3 will not run from a 64 GB card?

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:55 am

taylorkh wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:14 am
As I posted, the card reports errors unrelated to its use in the Pi. As long as a Pi will work with a 64 GB card I will try another. I am hoping someone can provide some experience good or bad.
Yes, the Pi works fine on larger cards (the ext4 file system it uses supports any disk size for the foreseeable future).
I use 64GB and 128GB cards all the time, now the price has dropped.
The sandisk A2 class cards are available up to 400GB, I am contemplating getting one for my media collection, I have no doubt it will work fine on any Pi.

k-pi
Posts: 777
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:46 pm
Location: Upper Hale, Surrey, UK.

Re: Any reason why a Pi 3 will not run from a 64 GB card?

Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:59 am

My RPi3B & RPi3B+ work with 16/32/64GB SDHC/SDXC microSD cards, no problems for me. 8-)

taylorkh
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: Any reason why a Pi 3 will not run from a 64 GB card?

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:24 am

Thank you to all for your replies. I will try another 64 GB card. I will also try one of the fake card detector programs. I had read about the issue with USB "thumb" drives which would appear to be some number of GB but would only hold a small amount of that data. I did format the thing as FAT and copied 50+ GB of data to it. I have not check the card yet. I will do that this morning.

Thanks again,

Ken

p.s. This may be a self inflicted problem. I am breaking my long standing (since my Osborne computer in 1982) rule of ALWAYS separating the operating system from the data :oops: On the other hand this application is more like an appliance than a general purpose computer.

User avatar
DarkPlatinum
Posts: 726
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Any reason why a Pi 3 will not run from a 64 GB card?

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:30 am

Reasons why it may not work:

1. The SD card is fake
2. It is formatted as ExFAT, needs to be formatted as FAT32
3. Your Raspberry Pi may have an issue with reading SD cards
4. For best results use Etcher
5. Try a different operating system such as NOOBS
6. The Raspbian Download might be corrupted
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): Https://Html.dynu.net

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19155
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Any reason why a Pi 3 will not run from a 64 GB card?

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:34 am

DarkPlatinum wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:30 am
Reasons why it may not work:

1. The SD card is fake
2. It is formatted as ExFAT, needs to be formatted as FAT32
3. Your Raspberry Pi may have an issue with reading SD cards
4. For best results use Etcher
5. Try a different operating system such as NOOBS
6. The Raspbian Download might be corrupted

5) NoobS, like PiNN, is an installer /chooser not an Operating System.
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit
https://www.asus.com/uk/Mini-PCs/Chromebit-CS10

darkbibble
Posts: 600
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:20 pm
Location: corby, england

Re: Any reason why a Pi 3 will not run from a 64 GB card?

Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:10 pm

i had the same issue recently, sd copier and other cloneing methods failed, i ended up writing a freshly downloaded clean image of raspbian and wrote it to the card and reinstalled from that
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 3678
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Any reason why a Pi 3 will not run from a 64 GB card?

Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:25 pm

DarkPlatinum wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:30 am
Reasons why it may not work:
...
2. It is formatted as ExFAT, needs to be formatted as FAT32
Only relevant for NOOBS install (OP is using Ubuntu image). Writing images works regardless of any previous format (the image contains the filesystem).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

User avatar
Botspot
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:47 pm

Re: Any reason why a Pi 3 will not run from a 64 GB card?

Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:56 pm

I've ran my Raspberry Pi 3 on a genuine Sandisk 64GB card for a year now.
It has never corrupted on me.
I bought it from Walmart to avoid any possible counterfeit.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/SanDisk-64GB ... r/55141020
Image
Most people don't think for themselves much anymore. 
Their brains run single core at a speed similar to a Pi 1. Then they go out and purchase smart devices to help them think. Ridiculous!

Not me, I voided my brain's warranty bit due to overclocking.

jahboater
Posts: 3946
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Re: Any reason why a Pi 3 will not run from a 64 GB card?

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:09 pm

Yes, I have never had any problems with any Sandisk or Samsung cards.
The A1 or A2 app class are designed for the fast random 4k reads - ideal for the Pi. Older cards were designed for cameras and media where fast sequential performance is required.
These have just appeared on the market (the extreme plus):-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extrem ... isk+a2+app
Just ordered a 128GB one ....

User avatar
DarkPlatinum
Posts: 726
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Any reason why a Pi 3 will not run from a 64 GB card?

Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:06 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:25 pm
DarkPlatinum wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:30 am
Reasons why it may not work:
...
2. It is formatted as ExFAT, needs to be formatted as FAT32
Only relevant for NOOBS install (OP is using Ubuntu image). Writing images works regardless of any previous format (the image contains the filesystem).
I see. Did not know this.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): Https://Html.dynu.net

taylorkh
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: Any reason why a Pi 3 will not run from a 64 GB card?

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:12 am

I just obtained a replacement 64 GB replacement card. It works fine.

Ken

Return to “Troubleshooting”