wristpix

Booting from ssd stops working when other usb drives are connected.

Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:57 pm

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 configured to boot from ssd drive and it works great and fast, until I attach any other drives (planning on using it as a media server). Once I attach any other drive it stops booting. It powers up but that's it. No output to screen, but all drives spin up and ssd boot drive also powers up.

I have 2 powered hard drives that work fine on another Pi 3 that is running from a micro sd.

I've tried running the drives through a powered hub and it made no difference.

If I attach the media drives after it boots everything is fine. I thought if I could delay the power up on the other usb drives maybe that would solve it, but I don't know if that's possible.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Botspot

Re: Booting from ssd stops working when other usb drives are connected.

Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:27 pm

I'm confident I know what the problem is, but I'm not sure how to fix it "properly".

Assuming the Pi is just set to "boot from USB", the problem is that the Pi has no way of knowing which drive to boot from when it wakes up.
When it boots, it is probably trying to boot from the wrong drive.  You will need to find a way to distinguish the correct filesystem from other media drives.
wristpix wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:57 pm
I have 2 powered hard drives that work fine on another Pi 3 that is running from a micro sd.
Exactly. In that scenario, the micro SD card is distinguished by default, so the Pi doesn't have to take a guess of which external drive is its filesystem.

There's must be some complex software method to do distinguish the correct drive, but my course of action would be to simply boot it up with nothing else plugged in. Once it's up and running, you can then connect your media drives.
Most people don't think for themselves much anymore. 
Their brains run single core at a speed similar to a Pi 1. Then they go out and purchase smart devices to help them think. Ridiculous!

Not me, I voided my brain's warranty bit due to overclocking.

DougieLawson

Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:38 pm

Why not carve out a 42MB partition on each harddisk and clone /boot from the drive you want to have as root. Then whatever USB gets seen first by the bootloader will do the right thing.

I'll be a PITA when the /boot stuff changes (when apt-get installs an update to raspberrypi-kernel).

The /boot/cmdline.txt will identify the right root filesystem what ever as long as the root=PARTUUID=86c71275-02 (or your equivalent) points to the root fs on the "first" USB drive.

You can see those PARTUUIDs with sudo blkid. You can change PARTUUID with sudo fdisk /dev/sdx - use the expert menu (option i). Don't change it on the drive that holds the root.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

HawaiianPi

Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:44 pm

Pi 3B or 3B+ and what are you using for a power supply?

Which OS?

What SSD are you using, and how is it connected to your Pi3?

If your hard drives are self-powered, then it could be an issue with the USB boot configuration.

Are you booting directly from the SSD with no microSD card?
  • If not, how is the SD card used (/boot or just bootcode.bin)?
  • With bootcode.bin on SD the system may only boot the first drive it finds.
Are you referencing the boot drive as /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 in /etc/fstab and /boot/cmdline.txt?
  • If so, change that to UUID or PARTUUID.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

wristpix

Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:50 pm

3B+
Rasbian
ssd SP 128gb
usb sata adapter: I saw it on here on another post

booting from SSD No SD card installed

Hard drives are self powered western digital 3TB

FSTAB

PARTUUID=xxx / auto defaults,noatime,rw 0 1
PARTUUID=xxx /boot auto defaults,noatime,rw,nofail,x-systemd.automount 0 0

UUID=xxx /mnt/movies
UUID=xxx /mnt/tv