Botspot

SD cards "no media" error

Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:58 am

I have 2 microSD cards and 2 SD card adapters.

Both SD cards have Raspbian loaded on them.
Both cards boot up properly on my Raspberry Pi 3B.

When the Pi is running on my 32GB card and I try to mount the 8GB card via the USB adapter, it merely creates a node in the /dev folder but never mounts and is not recognized by GParted.
When trying to write to the /dev/sda node with this dd command:

Code: Select all

$ sudo dd if=/home/pi/2018-11-13-raspbian-stretch-full.img of=/dev/sda bs=1024
it returns with an error:

dd: failed to open '/dev/sda': No medium found
Just in case it was a Raspbian-specific issue, I also tried inserting the adapter into two Windows 10 PCs. When I click the drive

D:
Windows tells me "Please insert a disk into drive D:"
On windows, I even tried using the command line tool diskpart. I am not including the exact command I used, but diskpart returned with the error:

Error: could not clean disk 2: no medium found
I don't think my micro SD cards are damaged (because they boot up flawlessly when inserted in the Pi micro Sd card reader, but it is very perplexing why all non-native systems are throwing the "no media" error.
I doubt this is the adapter's fault either, because (remember) I have two of adapters and I can't fathom why both would break at once.

Any ideas?
Most people don't think for themselves much anymore. 
Their brains run single core at a speed similar to a Pi 1. Then they go out and purchase smart devices to help them think. Ridiculous!

Not me, I voided my brain's warranty bit due to overclocking.

Imperf3kt

Re: SD cards "no media" error

Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:20 am

Sounds like it isn't automatically mounting on Raspbian.

Windows tells you it doesn't exist because it's formatted as EXT4, a file system Windows doesn't know what it is, so thinks doesn't exist.
Google is ubiquitous - Try it today, it's free!
https://opensource.com/life/16/10/how-ask-technical-questions

HawaiianPi

Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:28 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Windows tells you it doesn't exist because it's formatted as EXT4, a file system Windows doesn't know what it is, so thinks doesn't exist.
Windows should still see the card (and tell you it needs to be formatted). If it's not seeing the card at all, it could be a bad card or a bad USB card reader (or a bad adapter if it's micro SD in an SD adapter).

Another possibility is that the USB card reader or SD adapter is for the lower capacity cards. There are multiple SD card standards, based on storage capacity. The higher capacity devices are usually backwards compatible, but the lower capacity devices won't see the larger cards.

SD standard - Up to 2GB SD memory card using FAT 12 and 16 file systems
SDHC standard - over 2GB-32GB SDHC memory card using FAT32 file system
SDXC standard - over 32GB-2TB SDXC memory card using exFAT file system
SDUC standard - over 2TB-128TB SDUC memory card using exFAT file system *

So if you have a standard SD adapter or card reader, it won't function with cards larger than 2GB. If you have an SDHC adapter or card reader, it will work with the 8GB & 32GB cards (and should read smaller cards as well), but it won't work with anything larger than 32GB, etc. I have several SDXC card readers and adapters, and they work with all of my cards.

*Pretty sure SDUC is a future standard (there aren't any SDUC devices yet).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Botspot

Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:37 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Sounds like it isn't automatically mounting on Raspbian.

Imperf3kt, you're right Windows will not recognize the EXT4 partition, but it should be recognizing the entire device including the /boot partition. The fact that it isn't recognizing EITHER card in EITHER adapter in EITHER computer perplexes me. Remember both cards boot up properly on my pi, so I'm hesitant in thinking they both got damaged on the same day last month.
Last edited by Botspot on Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Their brains run single core at a speed similar to a Pi 1. Then they go out and purchase smart devices to help them think. Ridiculous!

Botspot

Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:43 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:28 am
Another possibility is that the USB card reader or SD adapter is for the lower capacity cards. There are multiple SD card standards, based on storage capacity. The higher capacity devices are usually backwards compatible, but the lower capacity devices won't see the larger cards.
Yes, I wondered this too, but BOTH card readers and BOTH cards have been mounting just fine in Windows and Raspbian.
Then last month NEITHER card was mounting on Windows or Raspbian.

I've used the Windows tool diskpart for years to format previously Raspbian cards before, and I never got this error until last month.

Botspot

Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:42 pm

I've also tried manually mounting it.
I ran this command:

$ sudo mkdir /media/pi/fs
$ sudo mount /dev/sda /media/pi/fs
And here's what it says back:

mount: no medium found on /dev/sda
After removing an external micro SD card (in a USB adapter), I noticed that the Pi's total CPU usage measurement was hanging around 25%. After some investigation, I discovered "lxpanel" was maxing out CPU core 3. Then it began using core 1. It is alternating cores, maxing out whichever one it is using. Lxpanel continued to use CPU time for over an hour, so I finally sent it the kill command. Once lxpanel had restarted, the total CPU usage measurement fell back down to normal.

Botspot

Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:39 am

So far, I've got one of the micro SD cards working again. First I put the micro SD card into a full-size SD card adapter. Than I put that into my Nikon camera. The camera took about 2 minutes to turn on. (very abnormal) Than I removed it from the camera. I inserted it directly into my Windows laptop. (no USB adapter this time)
I ran

diskpart
in the command prompt. This time I tried

convert mbr
It succeeded! After that, Windows could recognize the micro SD card. I guess my Pi could still boot it, even if its Master Boot Record was corrupted or invalid.

I still haven't had success with the other card yet.

Botspot

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:12 pm

OK it it looks like both micro SD card readers broke on the same day.

No idea how or why both broke simultaneously, but at least I solved the problem! (My Pi is now running on a HDD until I get some better adapters)

Thanks everyone!

Return to “Troubleshooting”