eighthundred

Raspberry 3 B+ died out of no where

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:11 pm

So I had a Raspberry 3 B+ working as a small NAS for a while, which worked great.
One day, it all of a sudden died. Now I'm unaware what might have caused this, but I have a few ideas.

1. is that my power supply was a bit inconsistent, which might have (somehow) fried the internals of it somewhere (Although it can still power on, so I doubt that's what happened)
2. it overheated. It was placed rather poorly, which might have lead to it overheating a lot. this could potentially haved fried some of the interls?
or 3. it's some rare bug which lead it to be unable to boot from the micro SD.

It has never been dropped or had any physical harm done to it.
I've tried to boot it from various different micro SD cards, but none of them seem to work with the damaged PI (Although they did work with another Rasp pi, same model, same power supply and everything).

I've linked both some pictures of the damaged rasp pi, and a short video showing that the SD card and setup works on other Raspberry pi's.
https://imgur.com/a/aoM3gXC
https://youtu.be/O86rEQC6xiY

If anyone have any idea what I could do to troubleshoot this, I would appriciate it.
It looks to me that it's the SD port there is something wrong with since the PI's other functionalities work just fine!
(Is it possible to flash the chip using I.e. a serial pirate to make it boot from USB?)

Thank you in advance!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry 3 B+ died out of no where

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:44 pm

Measure if you still have 3V3, in rare cases the 3V3 supply has known to fail, this seems to be the case here.
The cause for it is under investigation.
I will warn someone who may ask you to send him your PI for scrutiny, and who may give you a new one.

PhilE
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:17 am

Hi, eighthundred - I can see from your video that your 3B+ is permanently underpowered (the lightning symbol in the corner) - what is your power supply? Have you tried without that inline power switch? I've found that they can cause a significant voltage drop.

Having said that, I don't think undervoltage is the immediate cause of your Pi failing to boot (although it is an interesting data point) - there isn't even a flicker on the ACT LED. The PWR LED is driven by the 5V rail, but most other components rely on the 3V3 rail which has, on a very small number of 3B+s, been known to fail.

Drop me an email - phil@raspberrypi.org - with your shipping address and we can arrange a replacement.

eighthundred

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:38 pm

PhilE wrote:
I can see from your video that your 3B+ is permanently underpowered (the lightning symbol in the corner) - what is your power supply? Have you tried without that inline power switch? I've found that they can cause a significant voltage drop.
Yea I've tried many different power supplies and such. Nothing worked
PhilE wrote:
Drop me an email - phil@raspberrypi.org - with your shipping address and we can arrange a replacement.
Sure I'll send you an email with it!

DarkPlatinum

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:13 pm

eighthundred wrote:
PhilE wrote:
I can see from your video that your 3B+ is permanently underpowered (the lightning symbol in the corner) - what is your power supply? Have you tried without that inline power switch? I've found that they can cause a significant voltage drop.
PhilE wrote:
Use the official power supply. You should have little to no problems with it.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): Https://Html.dynu.net

eighthundred

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:22 pm

DarkPlatinum wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:13 pm
eighthundred wrote:
PhilE wrote:
PhilE wrote:
Use the official power supply. You should have little to no problems with it.
I'm sorry, but I fail to see how you could think this is the problem. As I said, I've tried many different variants of power supplies... If you watched the video you'd know as well that other raspberry pi's worked fine with every other Power supply & setup.

LTolledo

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:19 pm

As the RPi3B+'s PMIC is "quite sensitive" it is often recommended to put the RPi3B+ in a case first before connecting peripherals and applying power to it, to "prevent accidental shorts" that can do irreparable damage to the PMIC.

And as PhilE mentioned, it is highly recommended to switch on/off the RPi's PSU on the AC side than on the DC (micro-USB) side..
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

PhilE

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:01 am

The mail-in direct replacement offer has ended now. Any further failures should be handled with your supplier.

rpiMike

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:25 am

PhilE wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:01 am
The mail-in direct replacement offer has ended now. Any further failures should be handled with your supplier.
Has an issue been found - or is it still under investigation?

Return to “Troubleshooting”