RUser1996

Openbox Configuration Manager Doesn't Open

Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:28 am

I have written a fresh image of 2018-11-13-raspbian-stretch-full and have successfully configured and updated the system.

I wanted to increase the number of desktops/workspaces via Openbox Configuration Manager (OCM), but when I click on the OCM application from the menu, I get a cursor with an hourglass, and then application does not launch.

Using the terminal command line, openbox, the response is "Openbox-Message: A window manager is already running on screen 0" and the application doesn't launch.

I have search via Google for a solution, but to no avail.

I had this configured previously, but now after the fresh install and update - Openbox doesn't launch. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

klricks

Re: Openbox Configuration Manager Doesn't Open

Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:33 am

Also reported in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=229331

Get segmentation fault when attempting to run obconf from CLI

Also after a recent update, the same issue now happens in the Raspberry Pi Desktop for PC (X86) OS as well as Raspbian
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

n67

Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:12 am

Incidentally, I was able to get obconf working on Stench by using the Jessie version.

Side notes:
1) It would probably be good enough to just go back an upgrade or two in Stench - but there's no easy way to do that. Maybe download an earlier image and then extract the working obconf from there.

2) There's probably some tricky thing you can do with apt-get to either "pin" the version (so it doesn't get upgraded) or to revert it back to a working version.

In any event, I was able to get the Jessie version working by doing these 3 steps:

1) Copy over /usr/bin/obconf to ~/bin/
2) Copy over /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libobrender.so.29 to ~/lib/
3) Copy over /usr/share/obconf/obconf.glade to /usr/share/obconf/ (as root)

(I've omitted a few steps involving setting environment variables)

After doing these steps, running obconf from the shell prompt works (although it generates the usual GTK bogo-errors on the terminal).
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

klricks

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:55 am

The obconf issue has been fixed with today's update:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

wjr1995

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:11 pm

Hi, As of 4.8.19 12:10 Phoenix time I am having the same issue and all of my packages are up to date. Is there an easy fix here? I cannot launch obconf due to segmentation fault and it doesn't show up in the menu.

klricks

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:17 am

wjr1995 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:11 pm
Hi, As of 4.8.19 12:10 Phoenix time I am having the same issue and all of my packages are up to date. Is there an easy fix here? I cannot launch obconf due to segmentation fault and it doesn't show up in the menu.
I have no problem starting obconf even after today's update/upgrade.
By default obconf is not shown in the menu but can easily be added using: [Preferences] --> [Main Menu Editor]
You will find it also in [Preferences].

Note that obconf still does not work in Raspberry Pi Desktop for PC.

Return to “Troubleshooting”