zoesaur

ssh/pi zero connection problems-- but please read the whole post before answering

Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:58 am

Hi! recently got a pi zero W for a project, and am working on an ubuntu 18.04 laptop. currently have raspbian lite on the pi, and in my current position i'm not able to connect it to a mouse, keyboard and screen.

I had successfully set up my pi to connect to my computer with ssh (added ssh file to root, edited config and cmdline files, made sure my wired connection IPv4 is set to link local only), that is

Code: Select all

ssh pi@raspberrypi.local
worked. I went to change the password as the pi asked me to do. after having done so, it rebooted, but after that i've gotten

could not resolve hostname:name or service unknown
, same as i was getting before i changed my wired connection settings. I tried various combinations with the password i had changed to, in case i had somehow changed the username instead, but this didn't work.

nslookup raspberrypi.local
returns

** server can't find raspberrypi.local: SERVFAIL[\code], along with the IP address of my own computer. I've tried a few other methods of pinging it to no avail. running a dmesg in my terminal reveals (obviously among many other things) [code]usb 1-2:  device descriptor read/64, error -71
Although i've been able to find plenty of other people struggling to connect to their pis via ssh, i haven't been able to find any other examples of this situation. As previously mentioned, i'm currently not in a position to be able to connect my pi to a keyboard and screen (in a public library, the power is out at home), although if i'm still at wits end by the end of the day it might be time to scrounge up a mini-HDMI.

topguy

Re: ssh/pi zero connection problems-- but please read the whole post before answering

Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:51 am

So how exactly is the Pi connected to the Laptop ? USB ethernet gadget mode ?

raspberrypi.local is not a name you get via standard DNS lookup, so I think that explains why nslookup dont work.

oldjake

Re: ssh/pi zero connection problems-- but please read the whole post before answering

Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:53 am

This looks like you changed the host name at some point, either directly or through raspi-config. What happens if you try to connect to the IP address rather than the host name?

Return to “Troubleshooting”