I'm using A PI3B+ with SSD on USB.
Raspbian lite.

When I reboot the raspberry with

Code: Select all

sudo reboot 
or

Code: Select all

sudo shutdown -r now
ssh connexion is closed but I don't find again the connexion. Rasp stay invible. I must restart Raspberry with power stop/start.

How can I restart my rasp ?

Thanks in advance

Roken

Re: reboot don't work

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:30 pm

Are you booting to a desktop/UI (e.g. retro)? If so, have you tried rebooting with a monitor/display connected. I find my RetroPi failes to boot unless it has an active display.
Headless PI. OMG, someone cut it's head off. Oh, hang on. it didn't have one to start with.

po220

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:54 pm

no, I'm using raspbian lite without display ; only ssh

n67

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:00 pm

This is a known problem. Apparently, it boils down to "Not all USB hard disks are completely compatible with the 'boot from USB' functionality of the Pi".

One of the other frequent posters here routinely reports that while he can boot from SSD from a cold power-on, rebooting (without power cycling) does not work.

My own recommendation is to skip the "Boot directly from USB" idea and just do it the old-fashioned way. Boot from SD card with the rootfs on USB. That always works. And as far as I'm concerned, is every bit as useful as the "pure boot from USB". Others will argue otherwise, but their arguments are not convincing.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

W. H. Heydt

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:08 pm

If you connect to a Pi using ssh, when you reboot it, yes, the connection will be dropped. The ssh daemon on the Pi gets shut down along with everything else.

After the reboot, you have to re-establish the connection. If you're using PuTTY, use the mouse on the icon at the upper left and select "restart session". You should re-connect and then you can log in again. If you're doing ssh from a terminal window, just repeat the local ssh command and you should re-connect and be able to log in again.

po220

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:20 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:08 pm
If you connect to a Pi using ssh, when you reboot it, yes, the connection will be dropped. The ssh daemon on the Pi gets shut down along with everything else.

After the reboot, you have to re-establish the connection. If you're using PuTTY, use the mouse on the icon at the upper left and select "restart session". You should re-connect and then you can log in again. If you're doing ssh from a terminal window, just repeat the local ssh command and you should re-connect and be able to log in again.
The problem is that connection don't re-establish afer shut down of the ssh deamon. the Pi is not visible, no restart, no Ethernet visibility.
I can't re-connect ssh.

thanks n67, I do not understand everything but I will study your answer (add a sd just for boot)

Return to “Troubleshooting”