cg617

Pi3A+ no wifi in NOOBS

Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:26 pm

Hi All,

I am the proud owner of a new Pi3A+, and got it up and running no problem. However within a few days (probably 2 hours of power up time) the wifi connection started failing.

Eventually hooked up leads (KM and HDMI) and found that ifconfig shows no wifi entry.

Went back to NOOBS v3.0.0 and found that the wifi icon is grey'ed out.

After much testing, frustration and googling, not to mention umpteen failed attempts to become a member of this forum, I am at a complete loss as to the problem.

The only thing I can suspect is a hardware failure. This appears to be confirmed by using a SD card I have in a Pi3B.
When booting with this SD Card in a Pi3B and holding the shift key, I get the NOOBS screen with wifi icon active (you can select it).
When booting the Pi3A+ with the same card, holding the shift key takes you to the NOOBS screen, but the wifi icon is NOT selectable.

I've seen loads of posts about this and that, amend various files and run various commands, but my thinking is that booting to the NOOBS screen fundamentally preempts any of that. :?

Can anyone help?
It is impossible to make anything idiot proof because idiots are so ingenious. :lol:

cg617

Re: Pi3A+ no wifi in NOOBS

Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:27 am

Tried to re-post in Troubleshooting, but unable to do so, something about number of posts.
Can an Admin/Moderator move this to Troubleshooting please.
It is impossible to make anything idiot proof because idiots are so ingenious. :lol:

code_exec

Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:47 am

If you're using the full NOOBS, you already get the latest version of Raspbian as of the NOOBS version release date. If you're using NOOBS Lite, you'll need an internet connection to install any OS. If you're having issues with NOOBS Lite, you should try full NOOBS since that already has Raspbian installed.
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS desktop images for the Raspberry Pi 3.

https://github.com/CodeExecution/Ubuntu-ARM64-RPi

r3d4

Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:43 pm

perhaps the noob's used needs newer firmware files ect?

DirkS

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:35 pm

cg617 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:27 am
Tried to re-post in Troubleshooting, but unable to do so, something about number of posts.
Can an Admin/Moderator move this to Troubleshooting please.
In future: report your post (there's a button/link for that) and request a move.
Did that for you this time

DirkS

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:38 pm

r3d4 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:43 pm
perhaps the noob's used needs newer firmware files ect?
Noobs 3 is the latest one and should have the correct firmware / drivers, etc. for the 3A+

cg617

Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:17 pm

Hi All,

I have no idea how, but after a couple of days of doing nothing, booted the Pi3A+ and the onboard wifi is working again.
thanks for the responses so far.

regards

cg617

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:25 am

Just wanted to confirm after over a week of running continuously, the WiFi in the Pi3A+ is still working fine.
It is fairly active, doing (eight) temperature checks every 5 minutes and FTP'ing results to a website every 5 minutes, amongst some other minor stuff, and no issues.

Wasn't sure about buying another, it's only advantage over the others (for me) is it can use the 5GHz wifi band, so moves the traffic load away from all my others on the 2.4GHz band. Just purchased another Pi3B+ which doesn't appear to have 5GHz, not a big problem as I don't do mega traffic, but means the Pi3A+ still has that beneficial distinction.

DirkS

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:16 am

cg617 wrote:
Just purchased another Pi3B+ which doesn't appear to have 5GHz,
The 3B doesn't have it, but the 3B+ does, see https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... el-b-plus/

fruitoftheloom

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:29 am

cg617 wrote:
Just wanted to confirm after over a week of running continuously, the WiFi in the Pi3A+ is still working fine.
It is fairly active, doing (eight) temperature checks every 5 minutes and FTP'ing results to a website every 5 minutes, amongst some other minor stuff, and no issues.

Wasn't sure about buying another, it's only advantage over the others (for me) is it can use the 5GHz wifi band, so moves the traffic load away from all my others on the 2.4GHz band. Just purchased another Pi3B+ which doesn't appear to have 5GHz, not a big problem as I don't do mega traffic, but means the Pi3A+ still has that beneficial distinction.

In the case of lost WiFi the first step is to power cycle your Internet Modem /Router !
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

Return to “Troubleshooting”