SIRJP

Trouble with raspberry pink pi device and setting up the desktop GUI

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:48 am

Hello, so I have a pink pi device which is basically a raspberry pi 3 model b with pinkpi software loaded onto the sd card. I have everything(keyboard, mouse, hdmi via TV) connected except an Ethernet cable, because I assume the desktop boot does not require it?
When I type (sudo raspi-config) then select boot options and then the desktop option for the GUI, it then prompts (do 'sudo apt-get install lightdm' to allow configuration of boot to desktop) followed by an error message. So when I type that install command, it loads and asks do you want to continue[y/n] and I type in y. But after it simply shows a whole bunch of(E: Failed to fetch http...).. How can I boot into the raspbian desktop interface?

scotty101

Re: Trouble with raspberry pink pi device and setting up the desktop GUI

Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:44 am

Basically you don't have an internet connection.....

You either need to configure the WiFi to connect to your local WiFi network or connect the ethernet cable to your internet router.

I had never heard of PinkPi before, is there a specific reason you are using this "distribution" rather than the standard raspberry pi OS Raspbian?
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

k-pi

Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:29 am

If you have X installed, you should be able to start it by typing startx at the prompt.

To add software requires an internet connection, unless you tranfer a downloaded file via USB.

kevinthefixer

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:28 am

In any case, do you realize you are posting in the section for machines which are not Raspberry Pi?

fruitoftheloom

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:10 am

SIRJP wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:48 am
Hello, so I have a pink pi device which is basically a raspberry pi 3 model b with pinkpi software loaded onto the sd card. I have everything(keyboard, mouse, hdmi via TV) connected except an Ethernet cable, because I assume the desktop boot does not require it?
When I type (sudo raspi-config) then select boot options and then the desktop option for the GUI, it then prompts (do 'sudo apt-get install lightdm' to allow configuration of boot to desktop) followed by an error message. So when I type that install command, it loads and asks do you want to continue[y/n] and I type in y. But after it simply shows a whole bunch of(E: Failed to fetch http...).. How can I boot into the raspbian desktop interface?

If you have this device, suggest you ask them to support:

https://www.stakebox.org/collections/stakeboxes/pinkpi
Retired disgracefully.....

Return to “Troubleshooting”